RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Electrical - smoked up the cabin

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Electrical - smoked up the cabin

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BFL13

Victoria, BC

Senior Member

Joined: 02/15/2006

View Profile



Posted: 07/23/20 08:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forget the 18v! Your controller will pass "12v" battery voltage to the array once it is connected to the battery. With no battery you are just seeing array voltage with no battery. You seem to have a 12v array with that 18v. Connect the controller to the battery.

Actually, if it is a 12/24 controller, you should first connect it to the battery so the controller knows it is a 12v system or a 24v system and it sets for that, then you connect the solar panel array to the controller. In this case, it might work just connecting. It will not fry. If it doesn't work right, then do it the proper way around, connecting battery first.


1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas

Joe417

AL

Senior Member

Joined: 02/03/2002

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 07/23/20 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2 cents worth of experience.

I had smoke from under my sink while on generator about 2 years ago.

Was the AC wiring inside the automatic transfer switch. I posted picture on the forum but didn't find them when I searched.

Over time the wire nuts had loosened and gotten hot or someone may have left them loose.
The heat it generated melted and blackened the wires back about 3 inches from the wire nuts and finally burned one wire open. The switch still worked but the contacts had been too hot so I ended up replacing the switch. I was able to pull enough wire back to cut off the damaged area. Cost was I think $30 or $40.


Joe & Evelyn


BigWapiti

home?

New Member

Joined: 07/14/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/23/20 09:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

Forget the 18v! Your controller will pass "12v" battery voltage to the array once it is connected to the battery. With no battery you are just seeing array voltage with no battery. You seem to have a 12v array with that 18v. Connect the controller to the battery.

Thing is, I think I noticed the 18v while the battery was hooked up earlier - didn't think much of it since I was buried and baffled in all the other stuff. Should have caught my eye, didn't. But if that's the case - that the battery *was* hooked up and still showing 18v - that'd be not good, right? I really, really don't want to burn anything else up. :|


BFL13 wrote:

Actually, if it is a 12/24 controller, you should first connect it to the battery so the controller knows it is a 12v system or a 24v system and it sets for that, then you connect the solar panel array to the controller. In this case, it might work just connecting. It will not fry. If it doesn't work right, then do it the proper way around, connecting battery first.

I'll keep that in mind for when I do hook everything back up - thanks!!


My truck: 1998 Dodge 2500 diesel, extra cab, long bed
My camper: 2004 Lance Lite 915

BigWapiti

home?

New Member

Joined: 07/14/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/23/20 09:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Joe417 wrote:

My 2 cents worth of experience.
I had smoke from under my sink while on generator about 2 years ago.

Was the AC wiring inside the automatic transfer switch. I posted picture on the forum but didn't find them when I searched.

Over time the wire nuts had loosened and gotten hot or someone may have left them loose.
The heat it generated melted and blackened the wires back about 3 inches from the wire nuts and finally burned one wire open. The switch still worked but the contacts had been too hot so I ended up replacing the switch. I was able to pull enough wire back to cut off the damaged area. Cost was I think $30 or $40.

I'll definitely go in and check those too, thanks!
But you say 'automatic transfer switch' - is that what I'm seeing labeled the Power Controller?? I'm learning all this new RV lingo.. pardon that.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

Senior Member

Joined: 09/16/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/24/20 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BigWapiti wrote:

I'll definitely go in and check those too, thanks!
But you say 'automatic transfer switch' - is that what I'm seeing labeled the Power Controller?? I'm learning all this new RV lingo.. pardon that.

Since you don't have a built in generator, you don't have an automatic transfer switch.


Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB


BigWapiti

home?

New Member

Joined: 07/14/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/24/20 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So to test the solar controller - here's what I did - and I'm still a bit concerned.
* Evergreen solar EC-51, 50W solar panel
* Specialty Concepts ACS Solar charge controller

- 18.6v out of solar controller when unhooked from battery
- 13.8v at the battery when unhooked from controller
- covered the solar panels with plywood
- 0.0v coming out of the solar controller (as expected)
- Hooked up controller to battery
- Removed plywood covering panel
- 16.3v at battery
- Quickly recovered panel with plywood.. here I sit.

Too much charge, yes?

If so, I need to somehow disconnect the panel until I get a new controller - the connector is all gooped in up on the roof.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

Senior Member

Joined: 02/15/2006

View Profile



Posted: 07/24/20 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to have one of those controllers. They still had the user's manual on line a couple years ago with its troubleshooting guide.

Yes, your controller is not working right. ISTR the guide says something about bad FETs or whatever. Need to check that.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

Senior Member

Joined: 02/15/2006

View Profile



Posted: 07/24/20 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

http://specialtyconcepts.com/SPECIALTY_CONCEPTS_PDF_FILES/ASC_INSTRUC_MANUAL.PDF

Bench test procedure scroll way down. Was mention above that where RP can damage the ASC.

If you have Option F, it could be cranked too high, but you would have seen that in past operation, I think

BigWapiti

home?

New Member

Joined: 07/14/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/24/20 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, and yes, this is the procedure from the manual that I used also to test the panel/controller. So now, I went up on top, ungooped the plug, unplugged it and regooped the hole.

I'm going to try to find an upgrade controller and get something ordered - so the solar panel is out of commission until that's done.

Now I just wish I knew if that was my original problem or one I created.

Thanks a TON for ALL the help! It's been (and still is it seems) quite a ride.

John Wayne

Long Beach, Ca

Senior Member

Joined: 02/13/2001

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 07/24/20 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you check for any burned wires on the truck the charge line from the alternator to the camper battery, etc. If the camper was on the truck when this happened those wires may have been involved also.


John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Electrical - smoked up the cabin
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.