|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Covid 19 warning

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Tequila

Canada - Summer, Mexico - Winter

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/20 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MDKMDK wrote:

Deb and Ed M wrote:

I have to admit - when the Canadians don't want us germy Americans - it's pretty embarrassing :-)

Right now - we're hoping and praying that Florida's numbers drop as the weather cools and they can spend more time outdoors and hopefully slow the spread? I don't mind winter, but Ed HATES it. "Shovel snow or risk Covid" is where we're at right now....

Well, I like you germy Americans. Don't be embarasssed, it's our crazy media brainwashing the masses that you're all carrying Covid 19, and don't care. Nonsense.
Besides, if you do the math and compare total fatalities to total confirmed cases, the USA loses 3.4 people per hundred cases, Canada has lost 7.7 people per 100 cases, and Mexico has lost a whopping 11.1% of their total cases.
Shovel snow or risk Covid? Too early to call that one. [emoticon]

Not sure where you got that stat. When I look it up its 240 per million for Canada and 455 for the US https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104........eaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

MDKMDK

Lockdown Gulag

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/20 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tequila wrote:

MDKMDK wrote:

Deb and Ed M wrote:

I have to admit - when the Canadians don't want us germy Americans - it's pretty embarrassing :-)

Right now - we're hoping and praying that Florida's numbers drop as the weather cools and they can spend more time outdoors and hopefully slow the spread? I don't mind winter, but Ed HATES it. "Shovel snow or risk Covid" is where we're at right now....

Well, I like you germy Americans. Don't be embarasssed, it's our crazy media brainwashing the masses that you're all carrying Covid 19, and don't care. Nonsense.
Besides, if you do the math and compare total fatalities to total confirmed cases, the USA loses 3.4 people per hundred cases, Canada has lost 7.7 people per 100 cases, and Mexico has lost a whopping 11.1% of their total cases.
Shovel snow or risk Covid? Too early to call that one. [emoticon]

Not sure where you got that stat. When I look it up its 240 per million for Canada and 455 for the US https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104........eaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

Using this website for the total number of cases, and the total number of deaths. It's a more meaningful stat than the deaths per million which is based on population of each country and is meaningless in real terms, since we don't know how many infections there are in the entire population of any country, because the testing isn't that comprehensive anywhere yet. Total deaths as a percentage of total cases gives a more realistic picture of how likely you are to die from the virus, if you're a confirmed case, in any (your own) country.
Divide the total deaths by the total confirmed cases, times 100, gives you the percnetage of deaths within the actual group that has tested postitive for the virus.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
I'm assuming this Covod 19 tracker website's numbers are reasonably accurate, as I think I got the link from the WHO or CDC website. There are other Covd Tracker websites but they all seem to get their numbers from this one.

Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Tequila

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/20 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike that assumes you actually know the number of cases. Statistics are a funny thing, change one parameter and the entire overall picture changes. With a disease like covid the cause of death can be questionable. Since it causes pneumonia, how many deaths get reported as pneumonia or vice versa? The best way may be to compare total deaths in a fixed area with those of the previous year. In Mexico City for example those are up 160% and that number does not jive with the reported covid deaths by a long shot. That indicates the numbers there are either being covered up, or a large number are dying at home without ever seeing a hospital. I suspect the latter. I do know for example that all hospitals are 100% full in Puerto Vallarta, my brother in law lives there.

MDKMDK

Lockdown Gulag

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/20 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tequila wrote:

Mike that assumes you actually know the number of cases. Statistics are a funny thing, change one parameter and the entire overall picture changes. With a disease like covid the cause of death can be questionable. Since it causes pneumonia, how many deaths get reported as pneumonia or vice versa? The best way may be to compare total deaths in a fixed area with those of the previous year. In Mexico City for example those are up 160% and that number does not jive with the reported covid deaths by a long shot. That indicates the numbers there are either being covered up, or a large number are dying at home without ever seeing a hospital. I suspect the latter. I do know for example that all hospitals are 100% full in Puerto Vallarta, my brother in law lives there.

I know the actual number of cases and deaths. It's shown on that website.
Again, look at the website, and see the 2nd column (Total Cases = confirmed cases) and column 4 (Total Deaths).
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
The numbers get fuzzy (but support the more dire narratives) when you start using the entire population of a country as a basis for your morbidity rates from the virus, because that's where you don't know how many people have actually got it. That's why the only fact based morbidity rate has to be based on verified numbers, aka Total Cases and Total Deaths as a result. I agree that if you take the entire population and calculate the morbidity rate based on that, everything looks worse, but you've crossed over into hypotheticals and speculation at that point.
I can agree to disagree.

BarbaraOK

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/20 12:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MDKMDK wrote:

NO you don't know the actual number of cases and deaths. That's the problem, no one does. Especially not in the USA where testing is haphazard and in no way does anyone have actual number of deaths nor cases. Lots of people are dying at home, never have been tested, and depending upon age, cause of death can be listed as all sorts of things. And we now know that there were deaths in the country BEFORE the first identified case of Covid was reported in Washington State.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006
Figment II (2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ">
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761
Our Blog

ljr

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/20 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turn the TV off.

Larry

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/20 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MDKMDK,

Take Quebec away, and Canada looks good.

Take Ontario away, an again Canada looks not bad.

Take Quebec and Ontario away, and Canada looks FABULOUS.

Sask comes in at 1.37%

* This post was edited 07/30/20 08:01pm by pianotuna *

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/20 05:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarbaraOK wrote:

MDKMDK wrote:

NO you don't know the actual number of cases and deaths. That's the problem, no one does. Especially not in the USA where testing is haphazard and in no way does anyone have actual number of deaths nor cases. Lots of people are dying at home, never have been tested, and depending upon age, cause of death can be listed as all sorts of things. And we now know that there were deaths in the country BEFORE the first identified case of Covid was reported in Washington State.

A good friend of mine owns a very specialized trucking firm, mostly medical products and high-end food products. He said one of his drivers was involved in a very minor traffic accident in the US but for safety’s sake company policy is for the driver to go to the hospital for a BAC and drug test to prove they were sober.

The driver said that while he waiting in the emergency reception area a family of 6 came in showing obvious symptoms of being sick and were seeking testing, they were told it would be $200 per test, plus, plus, plus whatever else they could charge them.

The family turned and walked right back out.

How often does that need to happen in a population of 328 million people to create / prolong a significant problem?

Diver4242

Nazareth, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/20 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

How often does that need to happen in a population of 328 million people to create / prolong a significant problem?

Obviously that's a big part of the problem here in the USA. On top of that, most people aren't wearing masks or taking precautions, because there hasn't been a serious enough national campaign to get them to understand how important that is.

As well, tens of millions of Americans who said just a few months ago that they didn't really want a national health care system because they had "great coverage" through their employer, are now finding out why that's a very bad way to get health insurance, because they're now out of work, with nothing.

And here we are, sadly.

Tequila

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Without making partisan political comments and I am Canadian, not American, I am appalled at the disorganization I see in the country below us. We are inundated with US news, so most Canadians know as much as the average American as to what is happening and the politics behind it. The big difference that I see between the US response and that of Canada and Europe is that this is being handled largely on a federal level in both Canada & Europe. It seems to me that there is a real inconsistency in the type, and level, of response in the US by region and political division. There is far too much of the problem left up to individual states with no standard federal guidelines that everybody needs to follow. Since there is freedom of movement within the US, this makes little sense. We do have a similar problem in Canada where provinces also have the right to follow a lot of their own paths, but it seems to me there is much more agreement on a common strategy, rather than it being all over the map. In BC we have a left wing provincial government and in Ontario a right wing one. Neither seem to be pushing political stances, and are both following the science and medical advice when they make decisions. As a result we have about 1/10th the problem of the US on a per capital basis. The virus does not respect local boundaries or politics. The other mistake I see being made in the US, is the over-emphasis on the economy not the disease. While the economy is important, there is no economy if a good portion of the population is dead. Inaction over the cause is only going to extend and exacerbate the problem with the economy. I think the cartoon below makes the point.

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Covid 19 warning
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.