|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Covid 19 warning

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Tequila

Canada - Summer, Mexico - Winter

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Diver4242 wrote:

JaxDad wrote:

How often does that need to happen in a population of 328 million people to create / prolong a significant problem?

Obviously that's a big part of the problem here in the USA. On top of that, most people aren't wearing masks or taking precautions, because there hasn't been a serious enough national campaign to get them to understand how important that is.

As well, tens of millions of Americans who said just a few months ago that they didn't really want a national health care system because they had "great coverage" through their employer, are now finding out why that's a very bad way to get health insurance, because they're now out of work, with nothing.

And here we are, sadly.

The health system another question. I do not know how the hospitalization expense is being handled. If you are on a ventilator for a month are you going to be billed and what happens to those who have to pay astronomical amounts? Maybe someone can enlighten me. I assume anyone over 65 is more or less covered and most are probably in that demographic. I am guessing you are on your own if under 65 unless you have insurance, the hospitals have to be paid somehow and unless the government is picking up the tab, I cant see them doing it for free. It has always been difficult for Canadians to understand why this is so political in the US. Universal health care is supported in Canada by both Liberals and Conservatives.

FULLTIMEWANABE

De Winton, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tequila, if I'm not mistaken wasn't the US Gov paying a 20% premium to the medical centres dealing with positive COVID cases at the front end? Hence there was a lot of debate, about "interest in having more positive cases"!!

As far as the private insurance set up down there goes. Someone in Winterhaven Fla within the last week was kicked out and sent home waaaaay too soon, as seems to be the practice there right now, due to such a high volume of cases.

Being a UK expat some decades ago, and proud Canadian ever since, I feel grateful every day I've been on this earth to have access to the health care service my family have our whole lives. Yes, I know sometimes it gets strained and you hear of others waiting long times for treatments, but as far as we go we have zero complaints in when we've needed it.

Tequila

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FULLTIMEWANABE wrote:

Tequila, if I'm not mistaken wasn't the US Gov paying a 20% premium to the medical centres dealing with positive COVID cases at the front end? Hence there was a lot of debate, about "interest in having more positive cases"!!

As far as the private insurance set up down there goes. Someone in Winterhaven Fla within the last week was kicked out and sent home waaaaay too soon, as seems to be the practice there right now, due to such a high volume of cases.

Being a UK expat some decades ago, and proud Canadian ever since, I feel grateful every day I've been on this earth to have access to the health care service my family have our whole lives. Yes, I know sometimes it gets strained and you hear of others waiting long times for treatments, but as far as we go we have zero complaints in when we've needed it.

Yes the system is stressed although I think that has a lot to do with aging demographics.(the demand for services for older people could decrease a lot if covid wipes more of us out) My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer 5 years ago. 18 months of chemo and the bastards charged her for parking. We have personally not experienced delays for anything, but I am sure it happens.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tequila wrote:

FULLTIMEWANABE wrote:

Yes the system is stressed although I think that has a lot to do with aging demographics.(the demand for services for older people could decrease a lot if covid wipes more of us out) My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer 5 years ago. 18 months of chemo and the bastards charged her for parking. We have personally not experienced delays for anything, but I am sure it happens.

Our extended family has been hit with everything from heart issues to cancer and hip operations and the systym has treated us good,,,other than that paid parking thing. [emoticon].

There is always room for improvement though.

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was always under the impression that CA health was pretty good. Now I’m confused when JaxDad said:

The driver said that while he waiting in the emergency reception area a family of 6 came in showing obvious symptoms of being sick and were seeking testing, they were told it would be $200 per test, plus, plus, plus whatever else they could charge them.

So COVID tests aren’t included???

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Flyboy320

Tappen, BC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/20 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magicbus wrote:

I was always under the impression that CA health was pretty good. Now I’m confused when JaxDad said:

The driver said that while he waiting in the emergency reception area a family of 6 came in showing obvious symptoms of being sick and were seeking testing, they were told it would be $200 per test, plus, plus, plus whatever else they could charge them.

Dave

I read that "JaxDad" post as the hospital visit happening in the USA after a minor traffic accident there.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flyboy320 wrote:

magicbus wrote:

Dave

I read that "JaxDad" post as the hospital visit happening in the USA after a minor traffic accident there.

That’s the way I read it too.

Tequila

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Covid tests are free here. At least in BC.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tequila,

Free in Saskatchewan as well. And on an on demand.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Flyboy320 wrote:

magicbus wrote:

Dave

That’s the way I read it too.
Then we’ll chalk that up to a reading comprehension issue [emoticon].

Dave

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Covid 19 warning
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.