|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Converting a enclosed trailer to a RV TT

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/20 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you just enjoy the project...go for it.

If you have any allusion that it will somehow save money, just go fine a 16-20ft travel trailer for $2-4k. If you shop around it will be in good condition and save you a whole lot of time and money.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/20 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What’s the ground clearance on the enclosed trailer you’re considering? Enough?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/20 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is fun, and it is "Yours" not some $2k money pit with a leaky roof and rotten floor. Cargo trailers are a lot more rugged than travel trailers and I love both. It is okay to have an "Allusion". It's those "Illusions" that will take your money.

Some people like starting with a blank piece of paper, other like things done for them.

* This post was edited 07/23/20 04:07pm by TomG2 *

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/20 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I paid $3,500 for my 1999 SunnyBrook, aluminum framed, aluminum smooth-sided exterior, 27' 5th wheel. Added two batteries and 5 new tires. Sell that enclosed trailer and find something decent already done. It'll be cheaper...(retired contractor)

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/20 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some people like to "Do it themselves". Some like it done for them. Some like to tell other people how to spend their time and money. Not me. Cargo trailer conversions are fun but not everyone enjoys the same thing. Good thing. Sure, you can spend the next two years looking for that wonderful used trailer bargain or create something that is just right for you and your family. I only buy new trailers of any kind becaue there are some clever people out there that waste my time examining their used junk.

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/20 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A good friend of mine did just that.
His was about 14 feet I think. He converted it to a TT for his own use to go fishing and such.
I was very impressed at his ingenuity. The bed folded up against the wall for daytime use. He wired it for lighting and such.
He carried his fishing boat on a rack he built for the roof.
It had a side door and a flip down ramp that he could run a quad up inside.
It was very basic but it worked well.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

1997 Triple E Topaz 27' Bunkhouse TT

I do
Precision Guesswork
based on
Vague Assumptions
&
Unreliable Data of Dubious Accuracy
provided by persons of
Questionable Intellectual Capacity

Now, What would you like done?

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 04:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One point the Lot of work for no money crowd seam to overlook; Depending on the owners wants/needs, the camper can be made pretty simple.
Example. Most RVs have carpet. I prefer a floor that can be cleaned with a broom, or at worse, a mop. Some places, like next to bed, a soft floor feels better. A rug, that I can take out and shake, or throw in washer works. And in small area, dirt/mud can be tracked next to bed. Move rug out of way until bed time.

Rickj91

Okanagan, B.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/20 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a forum devoted to cargo trailers. Lots of good advice and examples.

Here'http://www.tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=42&sid=c954d1ca4e735b66a4d75a099e7edb75http://www.tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=42&sid=c954d1ca4e735b66a4d75a099e7edb75

2005 Chev 2500HD D/A,EC,SB,32 in. Hitch Ex. 2013 Wolf Creek 850 SB, 2007 Mirage 6X12 Cargo Trlr

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/20 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did one about 10 years ago. 6x12 v-nose single axle with cargo doors, no ramp.
Had a shower, porta-potty, SS sink, 2 burner cooktop, 30A service, 45A converter, wall AC, 10 gal. electric water heater, full size bed, 20 gal. fresh water tank, city water hookup, 4 sliding windows, Fantastic Fan.
No grey or black water tank. Used a 30 gal. sewer tote. Separate 20# propane w/quick connect.
No dinette, but had folding table and chair if we had to eat inside.
Used it for 3 years and sold it for a little less than what I had in it.
Took about 2 months off and on, and I thoroughly enjoyed doing it.
Mostly state or national parks. Never had a problem getting into a campground.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

kw/00

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/20 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to all replies, yes we sold our fifth wheel already. I have another fifth wheel to borrow, aka my aunts, if I want to. We picked up this 7x16 like new and got a really great deal on it. I was planning on resell to make some money or use it for another business start up. But a few years ago I saw the conversion and was impressed. I always liked the work and play campers, such a great idea and they kinda are hard to find here in Florida for the right size. So it got me thinking to do my own and making it fit my family. Yes I do have experience in a lots of trades, I chose to learn a lot and still do. I’m no master of any but trades and common sense and the ability to ask others, seeking wisdom pays off. So I’m still on the fence with the conversion and will dive into more reading. If not then I guess it’s time to start up another venture on my days of from the FD. Thank you for all the comments, been part of this online board for years now and learn a lot. We still love camping, I see us buying a C class or such sometime in a few years, time will tell.

A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Converting a enclosed trailer to a RV TT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.