|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Exclusive: Utterly Unique Fifth Wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

Interesting concept. With the high ceilings a ceiling fan would help circulate the air. .......

84" ceiling height is only 7'. Since many men, and some women, are taller than 6' a ceiling fan is not really an option.

ford truck guy wrote:

I am curious as to how well the AC system will work with the cold air being pumped UP instead of just falling down.??

Cold air blowing up would probably circulate the air more than blowing down. The cold air would go up toward the ceiling and move around the air there before falling back down to the floor returns.

work2much

Jackson Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Better spilt system ac units are long overdue. Spilt systems are more efficient. The roof is a terrible location for the fan coil and the heat generated sitting next to the compressor compounds the efficiency losses. Removing the ac from the roof would also make for much cleaner solar panel installs.

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.
2018 Host Mammoth. 1080 Watts solar. 600 AH usable LFP battery. Magnum 2800 Watt inverter.
2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2400 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As one who has lost a 5er to a blow over I am very cautious of high straight roofed 5ers to begin with.

This goes to the extreme. It is extra high roofed, thinking trees in CGs, & the windage on the sides will be terrific.

All for what? More storage to fill up with junk & sitting on 2 axles? No thanks. How many will think it is just fine to tow one of these beasts with a SRW short box truck?

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

8ntw8tn

Southeast Iowa & Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Didn't Alfa have basement a/c's when they were in production? I'm pretty sure the motorhomes did, but I'm not sure about their 5th wheel trailers. And I have no recollection of how efficient they were.

'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can see pros and cons
- I like removing things from the roof. Ideally, there would be no roof penetrations and with some careful planning, that is very much possible.
- Mini Split units would allow nice flexibility in putting cooling anywhere you want while the exterior portion of the unit lives on the rear bumper.
- With the extra structure to build on two levels and the ability to fill that storage space, I really wonder if 3000lb CCC is realistic. I'm betting 20k GVWR is more realistic rather than 16.5k.
- You lose the high ceilings that make a 5er feel more open.
- A rear 5ft high garage with a 5ft bedroom in the back would make for an interesting bunkhouse option where you don't have to have the kids litterally living in the garage.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

ford truck guy wrote:

I like the concept and idea....

Not so sure I'd want to see the folks who can now bring their kitchen sink because they now "have the room" .

I am curious as to how well the AC system will work with the cold air being pumped UP instead of just falling down.??

Where does the cool air come from in your house?

Completely DIFFERENT systems.... comparing apples and bananas .
HVAC systems in stick and Bricks are not anything like the AC's in RV's

First, with the basement that trailer has the same basic system as the house could be used.
But to the point of your first post; Will the cold air coming into the room from the ducts act different because there are wheels under the room? Bet if you don't tell it it's in a RV it will never know. And it does not need to know how it was cooled.

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

ford truck guy wrote:

I like the concept and idea....

Not so sure I'd want to see the folks who can now bring their kitchen sink because they now "have the room" .

Where does the cool air come from in your house?

Our Winnebago Journey had basement air. Worked flawlessly, AND was super quiet.

BTW, the cool air in my house comes from vents in the ceiling, much as it does in many, many, many houses

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

JKJavelin

Milwaukee, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/20 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's nice to see outside the box thinking, but one downside to me is a lot of wasted space with the long hallways, especially with the mid bunk model. That's why I like split bath floorplans, or even master suites.
JK

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde SRE-4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k
570 watts of Solar

2017- 21 Nights
2018- 75 Nights
2019- 138 Nights
2020- 66 Nights

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

BTW, the cool air in my house comes from vents in the ceiling, much as it does in many, many, many houses

My house also drops cool in from ceiling. Most business I have paid attention to drop from above. But I bet most stand alone homes, the furnace and AC are together and use the same ducts, put air in from below.

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

My house also drops cool in from ceiling. Most business I have paid attention to drop from above. But I bet most stand alone homes, the furnace and AC are together and use the same ducts, put air in from below.

Different set-ups in different parts of the country. Basement homes will usually pump it from below, since the HVAC is in the basement, where slab or pier-built homes, especially in the south, will locate the air handler upstairs, dropping both cool and warm air from the ceilings.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Exclusive: Utterly Unique Fifth Wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.