|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Koni vs Bilstein

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
FloridaRosebud

Melbourne

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, it's a 2006 National Seabreeze, F53 chassis. As stated in my last thread, I've got it handling great, however, still rides pretty rough. Was on the NY thruway today, and was a bit rough, then got to I-79 to head south, and though yes, this is way mo'betta. BUT, the closer I got to Pittsburg, the rougher the ride, until about 20 miles north. At that point, the road was hammering us. Doors were coming open, and twice my cruise kicked off. Even slowed down to 55, but still was vicious.

The original owner replaced the OEM shocks 5 years ago with Bilsteins. I recall from racing days the Bilsteins were always "firm". So the question; has anyone replaced the Bilsteins with the 5-way Konis, and was there a significant difference? I'm not looking for the "buy a DP" answer, as we otherwise love the MH and it's going nowhere. So anyone out there done this? If I could get a 20-30% ride improvement I'd do it. I'm just not ready to sink $12k into a liquid suspension upgrade right now.

Thanks in advance!

Al

alvie h

al.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/20 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not know them roads. But if roads are rough shocks will not fix the pot holes. Bilstein made my coach ride better. would Koni have been better I doubt it.

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Koni FSD's will improve both ride (much larger percent of dampening on rebound where it doesn't add to effective spring rate) and handling (that is the FSD part with different valving for small/sharp bumps vs large bumps).

They will also lighten your wallet a little better-- not that that will improve either the ride or handing, but you have to decide whether it is worth it to you.

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

#1Flyboy

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

#1 Koni...#2 Bilstein... Then the rest...

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 10:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Koni FSDs have worked very well for me. I can't say how they compare with Bilsteins, however. That said, rough roads are still rough. Sometimes it is good to slow waaay down, or seek alternate routes. Sometimes there's no option besides gritting one's teeth and bearing it.

FloridaRosebud

Melbourne

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/20 03:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

Koni FSDs have worked very well for me. I can't say how they compare with Bilsteins, however. That said, rough roads are still rough. Sometimes it is good to slow waaay down, or seek alternate routes. Sometimes there's no option besides gritting one's teeth and bearing it.

I agree, we are driving a truck chassis with a heavy box on it down the road. I have no visions of a ride like my Yukon Denali. I'm just looking to tame it a bit. Make it a bit less jarring. It would cost me about $1500 to change them out. Like I had said, if it makes an improvement (less jarring) it would be worth it.

Al

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/20 04:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Koni FSD shocks are NOT gas charged so they do not transfer the small bumps, like road joinst, back to the coach as much as my Bilsteens did.

Tom_M

New Hope, MN

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/20 05:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a link to shock road test:

https://www.motorhome.com/tech/diy/shock-therapy-rv-shock-absorber-test/

I just replaced my stock shocks on my '05 class C with Bilstein on the front and Monroe coil over on the rear. My coach has 110,000 miles on it. I have only taken a short test drive which included some interstate and some rough side streets and the ride was much improved. I will be heading for Montana in a few days and roads will vary from interstate to one lane forest dirt roads so they will get a good workout.

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

FloridaRosebud

Melbourne

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/20 05:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

My Koni FSD shocks are NOT gas charged so they do not transfer the small bumps, like road joinst, back to the coach as much as my Bilsteens did.

OK, great. That is good to know....the potholes can not be fixed by shocks, but the expansion joints and bridges I was hoping could be, at least somewhat.

Al

MountainAir05

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/20 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check your air pressure also. I have found that as tires age, they get stiff and ride harder. Some brands more than others.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Koni vs Bilstein
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.