|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Koni vs Bilstein

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/20 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I returned from Alaska I needed a lot of front end work and wanted the Bilstein shocks installed. He said he did a lot of MHs with the Bilstein's and fewer with Koni's in the past and customers preferred the softer ride of the Monroe's. So I went with their recommendation. It was a great improvement in ride quality but it was hard to tell how much was do to shocks and how much do to new front coil springs.

FloridaRosebud

Melbourne

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/20 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MountainAir05 wrote:

Check your air pressure also. I have found that as tires age, they get stiff and ride harder. Some brands more than others.

Tires are less than 2 years old. I run 80psi on the front and 85psi on the rears based on the weight (actually weighed) of the MH.

Al

MountainAir05

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/20 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Al

That where ours are also.

purplekeenah

greensburg, pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/20 08:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had an '03 34' class A gasser on a Workhorse chassis that came with Bilstein's, it road hard! Changed them out with Monroe's with great results. Next rig was a 2007 40' on a Spartan chassis that came with Bilstein's that hit bridge transitions like a sledgehammer, changed out to Koni's and it really smoothed out the jarring hits.

2015 Newmar Dutchstar 4369
2013 Chevy Equinox

BUTCHPHI

Sacramento, CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/20 01:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Koni FSD's without a doubt. Changed mine over 100000 miles ago. GREATLY reduced the jarring caused by separation joints in the road and greatly reduced the jarring from the smaller holes in the pavement. They are still on my rig and still seem to be doing as good a job as when new.

FloridaRosebud

Melbourne

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/20 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BUTCHPHI wrote:

Koni FSD's without a doubt. Changed mine over 100000 miles ago. GREATLY reduced the jarring caused by separation joints in the road and greatly reduced the jarring from the smaller holes in the pavement. They are still on my rig and still seem to be doing as good a job as when new.

Thanks everyone!! Jusr ordered the Koni's!

Al

scbwr

North Ridgeville, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/26/20 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FloridaRosebud wrote:

rgatijnet1 wrote:

My Koni FSD shocks are NOT gas charged so they do not transfer the small bumps, like road joinst, back to the coach as much as my Bilsteens did.

OK, great. That is good to know....the potholes can not be fixed by shocks, but the expansion joints and bridges I was hoping could be, at least somewhat.

Al

It's an interesting article but you do have to keep in mind the article is pretty old. I wish someone would do another test with results for at least one representative diesel pusher and one representative gas motorhome on the F53 chassis. My research showed many more mixed reviews when it comes to Koni vs. Bilstein shocks on a gas motorhome.

2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

FloridaRosebud

Melbourne

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/20 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

scbwr wrote:

FloridaRosebud wrote:

rgatijnet1 wrote:

My Koni FSD shocks are NOT gas charged so they do not transfer the small bumps, like road joinst, back to the coach as much as my Bilsteens did.

OK, great. That is good to know....the potholes can not be fixed by shocks, but the expansion joints and bridges I was hoping could be, at least somewhat.

Al

It's an interesting article but you do have to keep in mind the article is pretty old. I wish someone would do another test with results for at least one representative diesel pusher and one representative gas motorhome on the F53 chassis. My research showed many more mixed reviews when it comes to Koni vs. Bilstein shocks on a gas motorhome.

I guess I'll find out once I get them installed and take the MH out. I'll report back once I've given them the proper workout.

Al

tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FloridaRosebud wrote:

OK, it's a 2006 National Seabreeze, F53 chassis. As stated in my last thread, I've got it handling great, however, still rides pretty rough. Was on the NY thruway today, and was a bit rough, then got to I-79 to head south, and though yes, this is way mo'betta. BUT, the closer I got to Pittsburg, the rougher the ride, until about 20 miles north. At that point, the road was hammering us. Doors were coming open, and twice my cruise kicked off. Even slowed down to 55, but still was vicious.

The original owner replaced the OEM shocks 5 years ago with Bilsteins. I recall from racing days the Bilsteins were always "firm". So the question; has anyone replaced the Bilsteins with the 5-way Konis, and was there a significant difference? I'm not looking for the "buy a DP" answer, as we otherwise love the MH and it's going nowhere. So anyone out there done this? If I could get a 20-30% ride improvement I'd do it. I'm just not ready to sink $12k into a liquid suspension upgrade right now.

Thanks in advance!

Al

How much if any, are you over PSI from what your inflation chart says, for each of your axle weights?
Don't think shock brands will turn thing around all that much, either way, although giving my druthers, I'd opt for the Koni's.

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

FloridaRosebud

Melbourne

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tropical36 wrote:

FloridaRosebud wrote:

OK, it's a 2006 National Seabreeze, F53 chassis. As stated in my last thread, I've got it handling great, however, still rides pretty rough. Was on the NY thruway today, and was a bit rough, then got to I-79 to head south, and though yes, this is way mo'betta. BUT, the closer I got to Pittsburg, the rougher the ride, until about 20 miles north. At that point, the road was hammering us. Doors were coming open, and twice my cruise kicked off. Even slowed down to 55, but still was vicious.

The original owner replaced the OEM shocks 5 years ago with Bilsteins. I recall from racing days the Bilsteins were always "firm". So the question; has anyone replaced the Bilsteins with the 5-way Konis, and was there a significant difference? I'm not looking for the "buy a DP" answer, as we otherwise love the MH and it's going nowhere. So anyone out there done this? If I could get a 20-30% ride improvement I'd do it. I'm just not ready to sink $12k into a liquid suspension upgrade right now.

Thanks in advance!

Al

How much if any, are you over PSI from what your inflation chart says, for each of your axle weights?
Don't think shock brands will turn thing around all that much, either way, although giving my druthers, I'd opt for the Koni's.

I'm spot on, based on the actual weight of my MH. Sometimes I run 5psi over, but the last few days I've been only a couple of psi over.

Al

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Koni vs Bilstein
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.