RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Leaving dog at campsite

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

 > Leaving dog at campsite

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/04/20 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CFerguson wrote:

Veebyes wrote:

...
It doesn't take much to be smarter than the average dog.


I concur.
Plenty of evidence for your assertion all around us everyday.


If this thread has done one thing for me, it has shown me the absolute arrogance and lack of concern for some people's dogs. While i have never reported anyone in a CG, that is going to change when i see dogs not being properly cared for. Thank you all for you input.

For the most part MYOB applies to how someone treats their dog.
Unless you witness actual physical abuse, I don't think you should involve yourself.


2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide


Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

Senior Member

Joined: 11/26/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/04/20 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CFerguson wrote:


If this thread has done one thing for me, it has shown me the absolute arrogance and lack of concern for some people's dogs. While i have never reported anyone in a CG, that is going to change when i see dogs not being properly cared for. Thank you all for you input.


The hypocrisy of naming the arrogance of another in such a self-righteously arrogant post is mind-numbing to me.

I am convinced that most every campground that has a 'no dogs left behind' rule has it so that they have a basis on which to deal with a camper whose dog is problematic in some way. A dog resting comfortably and quietly in an RV is no one's business, and that campground doesn't want to deal with your pointless complaints.

If you see active abuse of an animal in any circumstance - report it. If a dog is left behind, contrary to campground rules, and it is being particularly bothersome - report it.

Otherwise, MYOB and stop walking around as though you know what is best for everyone and everything else in the world.

Campinghoss@51

Windsor NC

Senior Member

Joined: 11/03/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/06/20 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mickeyfan0805 wrote:

CFerguson wrote:


If this thread has done one thing for me, it has shown me the absolute arrogance and lack of concern for some people's dogs. While i have never reported anyone in a CG, that is going to change when i see dogs not being properly cared for. Thank you all for you input.


The hypocrisy of naming the arrogance of another in such a self-righteously arrogant post is mind-numbing to me.

I am convinced that most every campground that has a 'no dogs left behind' rule has it so that they have a basis on which to deal with a camper whose dog is problematic in some way. A dog resting comfortably and quietly in an RV is no one's business, and that campground doesn't want to deal with your pointless complaints.

If you see active abuse of an animal in any circumstance - report it. If a dog is left behind, contrary to campground rules, and it is being particularly bothersome - report it.

Otherwise, MYOB and stop walking around as though you know what is best for everyone and everything else in the world.


AMEN


Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie


ZINGERLITE

Union Lake, MI

Full Member

Joined: 04/26/2018

View Profile


Online
Posted: 08/06/20 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

this topic is as controversial as "how much can i tow with a half ton?!?!"

Have some respect for your campground neighbors and communicate with them. if you find yourself needing to leave your pets in the camper for a part of the day try to be aware of whats going on. try to book sites in shade under trees to help control the heat. if your trip keeps you away from your camper most of the time leave the dog with a family member for that trip.

If you need to run to walmart turn on the radio and A/C. Your dog will be just fine.

drsteve

Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 06/09/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/08/20 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So many dog owners who think the rules do not apply to them.


2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

wapiticountry

Mountain West

Full Member

Joined: 10/02/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/08/20 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have stayed in very high end parks where there are dog walking services for stay at the RV dogs. In seasonal parks, dogs obviously get left alone in the RV. It is very dog specific and if your dog is a barker, you are taking a risk of being asked to leave and being a bad neighbor. In years of RVing I don't believe I have ever run across a constant barking dog that was bigger than 10 pounds. The little guys, on the other hand, could make a Fidel Castro speech (he was well known to drone on for hours on end) seem like a short story.
A good way to see if your dog is a barker and causing a problem is to buy a voice activated recorder and leave it turned on in the RV. It will record every time your dog barks.
One other thing, pulling the blinds really won't impact whether or not your dog will bark. You are thinking in human terms. Dogs do not see everything that is happening around them like we do, they smell their way thru life.

04fxsts

Westville, Illinois

Senior Member

Joined: 09/04/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/09/20 04:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our dogs are not big barkers but will bark when someone or something is close to the MH. We have a sound activated device that puts out an ultrasonic sound when activated. A couple barks and that is all, they quit. Before we leave I show it to them and that usually keeps them quiet. Jim.

pasusan

Northernmost PA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/13/2009

View Profile



Posted: 08/09/20 04:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

Dogs are pack animals and are programmed to follow their masters. The often behave quite differently on their own with the owners away.

There is another major issue. Many dogs bark a lot. Their owners get used to that. The neighbors are less likely to enjoy the noise.
This is absolutely true. The times that we were bothered by barking dogs have always been when the owners were there - seemingly able to carry on conversations while their dogs barked.


"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben
2004 Roadtrek 170 for quick getaways
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub for longer trips
Trip Pics

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/07/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/10/20 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, then let me make a suggestion that may help everyone acclimate.....camp more often around barking dogs.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

Senior Member

Joined: 06/07/2004

View Profile



Posted: 08/10/20 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

04fxsts wrote:

Our dogs are not big barkers but will bark when someone or something is close to the MH. We have a sound activated device that puts out an ultrasonic sound when activated. A couple barks and that is all, they quit. Before we leave I show it to them and that usually keeps them quiet. Jim.


These ultrasonic devices are so effective (and handy) and you can buy them for $25 or so, that I can't believe everyone doesn't own at least one (and yes, the dogs recognize your ability to punish them from a distance....LOL!) Even for people who don't own dogs, but want to exact stealthy revenge on those rude enough to let their dogs yap endlessly ;-)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

 > Leaving dog at campsite
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.