|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Leaving dog at campsite

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
Sixgun4559

Chicagoland

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/20 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi I'm Kevin and I just purchased my first travel trailer. I searched the forum however didn't find anything that matched my question. We will be taking our 50lbs mix breed "mutt" Murphy with us when we go to different campgrounds. Murphy loves to be outside and he's not quite a year old yet. He's crate trained and is not allowed to roam free of the house when we're not home. Mostly because I have two small children and he will chew up the toys.
We have a large dog cage that he sleeps in with a water supply connected to it. I was wondering if while at campgrounds I could leave my dog in the cage, with water while the family

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/20 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Leaving him outside, in the heat, in a crate will get a lot of attention, none of it good.
Inside may go unnoticed, but if he barks,,,,, again, you will gain attention. None of it good.
And many campgrounds actually have rules against leaving pets unattended.

Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/26/20 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will catch a lot of flak from other campers if you mean leaving him outside in the crate (even with water).

We have a folding crate that fits at the foot of the bed. Blackjack, who must about half the size of your dog, is quite happy to sleep quietly in it when we are away from the trailer. He will bark briefly if somebody knocks on the door or when he hears my truck pull in but otherwise you would not know he is there.

We will put him in there when we pull into a lunch stop and want to go inside to eat. He is happy enough to do it since he knows he will get a treat (french fries or bread bits or something) when we get back.

One other thing: He is used to sleeping in that crate at home as his "safe place".

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/20 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As long as the dog is quiet and not a yapper you can leave him inside while you are away. There are parks with rules against leaving pets inside unattended, but as long as the dog is quiet it won't be an issue.
You will not be allowed to leave him outside unattended.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/26/20 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please don’t camp next to me, or even close, if you plan on leaving your dog in a outdoor crate when you go sightseeing. And thanks for cutting down on the wildlife I might see during your absence once the wild ones determine a dog is present outside.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/26/20 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hope that you will not be leaving him in your RV when it is really hot without A/C. If you get caught doing that, some police departments will break into your RV to rescue the dog and you get to repair the damage in addition to the hefty fine.

We boondock most of the time. We also leave our pets at home where they are safe and comfortable.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/20 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Golden hates you be in our camper, I guess she feels it vibrating or something, and will cry and whine even with us in there with her. She loves to be outside the camper, and sleeps on a tether under tha camper and is happy.

But we won’t leave her at the campsite with out us, although we have on occasion, and she just sleeps under the steps. But is we are going camping like at the beach and we will be away from the camper we leave her at home. If we do to the mountains and will be at the site or hiking we take her with us.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/26/20 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We take our dog with us on local trips (in-state), and will leave him in the camper. That said, he does not bark, and we have A/C. If either of those were not the case, we'd not leave him alone. Outside is a no-go in any campground, and most would react very poorly if your dog barked recurrently throughout your absence.

FWIW - Some who spend many hours away have gone as far as to obtain temperature and/or video monitors to make sure things are safe in the camper for their dogs.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/20 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We leave our shepherd in a cage while we are gone. She is just over a year old. She is a yappper, but has been pretty good leaving her behind. As long as you are sure of the electric service I wouldn't worry. When we had our other shepherd he was 100lbs. He stayed behind and we didn't worry. We stay close and ar writhin an hour. When we went to NYC in July I brought out camera and connected it to my IPhone left behind as a hot spot. So if the power did go out we could keep an eye on the temp (indoor temp monitor) and the camera was plugged into the inverter. There is always something you can do to watch the inside temps!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

junmy3

Middle Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/20 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have found that many dogs do bark when left alone. One time in Ohio there were two dogs, one on both sides of us that barked for hours while their owners were gone. I finally went to the office and complained. The owners were at one of the campers before I could walk back and luckily one of the dogs owners just got back. They were told they could not leave the dog unattended. They said their dog does not bark, but the CG owners had heard it barking. The people wanted to leave again without the dog but we're told that was not an option.
Another time in Alaska a dog barked for hours and hours. Most dog owners may not believe it but there are times that their dogs do bark when left alone.
That is why we do not have a dog. It is not fair to the dog nor to the other campers left to hear the barking. Just my humble opinion.

Jim & Junnie
2016 Jay Flight 27RLS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Leaving dog at campsite
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.