|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Leaving dog at campsite

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Campinghoss@51

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/26/20 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We leave our two when necessary in the fiver. To make sure all is ok we have a Amazon Cloud Cam with audio on the entire time we are gone as well as a temp stick to monitor temp and humidity. We also use a Verizon mifi rather than rely on cg internet connections. Both my and my wife's smart phones are set up to receive text and emails from the temp stik if something goes haywire. They are not and never have been crated but that is just our preference.
Leaving your dog outside will cause you a lot of problems in most cg's if the dog is not attended.

Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/20 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bring your dog along. Take him swimming at a lake.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1) Outside alone is a no-go at just about any campground. If the owner finds out (and people will likely notify them), you are likely to be asked to leave.
2) Inside, you need the air/con running as campers tend to heat up well beyond the outside temp. On an 80F day, the interior could be well above 100F (even with the windows open).
3) Even inside, if he barks, expect to be asked to keep him under control or be asked to leave. Keep in mind, he will be hearing lots of new sounds as he is in an unfamiliar location and that could trigger him to bark.

PS: You were vague on the breed. I'm not sure if that was intentional or not but if he looks like a pit bull, doberman, german shepard, or other "aggressive" breed expect some parks to not allow him. It doesn't matter how sweet or well trained he is. It's mostly an insurance thing, so no point getting mad at the owner.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of those whose dogs 'don't bark' are either deaf or have become so attuned to it they just don't notice it. "Our Fluffy doesn't bark when we leave her alone in the camper". How do you know? The folks parked next to you who are trying to relax or sleep or have an outside lunch might disagree with you.
Of course not all dogs bark, but some will bark each time a vehicle drives by their site. These pups are not barking because they enjoy it, they bark out of boredom, fear wanting attention and any number of reasons.
Good friend we used to camp with, now with Alzheimer's, had a pup that barked constantly. I asked him one day of the pup was OK and he had not even heard the pup barking. We certainly had been hearing it for quite a while

DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've watched dog owners pause and listen for barking as they leave, and their dog does not bark until 10 minutes after they're gone.

There is something special about camping in an RV.

bigred1cav

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/20 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Put yu dog in the rv. Others may not appreciate your dog.

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Horsedoc wrote:

How do you know? The folks parked next to you who are trying to relax or sleep or have an outside lunch might disagree with you.

You know, because you talk to those neighbors upon returning and ask if they heard any barking. Unless they are for some reason lying and saying they didn't hear anything when they did.

We leave our dog in the motorhome (and trailer when we had one) sometimes. It's not my preference, but there's a lot of places dogs are not allowed to go. If it's hot I'll run the air conditioning. She's not in a crate, but is happy to just lie around waiting for us. It's possible she panics and barks when we're gone, but in asking neighbors we've never had anyone say they heard anything. Usually she's right there on the couch where she was when we left lol.

I'm sure it's very dog dependent. Ours is fine alone in the motorhome.

2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camperdave wrote:

...in asking neighbors we've never had anyone say they heard anything.

I'm sure it's very dog dependent. Ours is fine alone in the motorhome.
^^^ X2 ^^^

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have only owned Border collies and never had an issue leaving them in the RV with AC running, blinds pulled.

Out of courtesy we've asked neighbors if they heard our dogs and they claimed not.

We do however try to limit our time leaving them alone.

I've personally on several occasions heard what sounded like coyotes locked up in RVs.

Campinghoss@51

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/20 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We know if ours bark since we can hear whatever they are doing. Not only can we hear them but we can talk to them as well. Asking your neighbors is one way to check but being able to actually hear them if they do bark is priceless. Technology is a great thing if used for the purpose it was created.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Leaving dog at campsite
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.