RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Leaving dog at campsite

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

 > Leaving dog at campsite

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Seattle Steve

Tucson

Senior Member

Joined: 09/18/2010

View Profile



Posted: 07/29/20 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

Seattle Steve wrote:

CFerguson wrote:

I dont think ive ever been in a pay campground that allows any dog to be left unattended, inside or out.

I personally would never leave my Akita(who truly doesnt bark- its an Akita Thang). Yes, it can limit me, but that is part of the responsibility i voluntarily took on when I acquired him.


It is so nice to hear a voice of reason in a sea of delusional dog owners...

Delusional is the idea you cannot leave your dog alone/unattended. My dog stays home every work day by himself for 6-8 hours. He is capable of staying alone at the CG as well.


Thanks for yet another example of delusional...

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/07/2007

View Profile


Online
Posted: 07/29/20 09:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seattle Steve wrote:

Lantley wrote:

Seattle Steve wrote:

CFerguson wrote:

I dont think ive ever been in a pay campground that allows any dog to be left unattended, inside or out.

I personally would never leave my Akita(who truly doesnt bark- its an Akita Thang). Yes, it can limit me, but that is part of the responsibility i voluntarily took on when I acquired him.


It is so nice to hear a voice of reason in a sea of delusional dog owners...

Delusional is the idea you cannot leave your dog alone/unattended. My dog stays home every work day by himself for 6-8 hours. He is capable of staying alone at the CG as well.


Thanks for yet another example of
delusional...


Delusional can be quickly remedied by owning a well behaved dog.
We have several camp hosts that look forward to visiting our dogs.....it's about owner responsibility.

JimK-NY

NY

Senior Member

Joined: 05/12/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/30/20 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dogs are pack animals and are programmed to follow their masters. The often behave quite differently on their own with the owners away.

There is another major issue. Many dogs bark a lot. Their owners get used to that. The neighbors are less likely to enjoy the noise.

ppine

Northern Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 07/04/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/30/20 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do not leave dogs unattended. They make noise. They get too hot, they get tangled up. Learn to take your dogs with you.

CFerguson

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 10/25/2018

View Profile



Posted: 07/30/20 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not trying to stir the pot here, but Lantley (and others), do you read the CG rules about dogs when you stay there? Personally i read the rules (all of them, not just dog rules) before i show up at a place and if i dont like them i spend my money elsewheres. I am dead serious that i have never been in a CG that isnt very specific that dogs arent allowed to be left unattended.
fwiw, i rarely stay in resort type or state park CGs. Maybe thats the difference in our experiences.

GDS-3950BH

DC

Senior Member

Joined: 12/08/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/30/20 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

Dogs are pack animals and are programmed to follow their masters. The often behave quite differently on their own with the owners away.

There is another major issue. Many dogs bark a lot. Their owners get used to that. The neighbors are less likely to enjoy the noise.


We never leave the dog behind when we are not at the campsite. We have been to too many places where folks have done so and had to listen to their dog/s barking all day, or every time they heard a noise, or every time someone walked down the loop road. I've never been to a public campground where if it does not have a specific rule against leaving dogs alone, it certainly has a general noise rule where you can not disturb other campers, or something along those lines. We personally have never turned anyone in, but have been close to doing so a few times, and have seen where folks were turned in for it by others on too many occasions to remember, They received a visit from the Ranger or other management. Any RV is not close to soundproof, even a top of the line class A.

We do not go to private/commercial campgrounds or RV parks much, maybe 3 times in 18 years, but I imagine they also have rules along the same lines and since you're typically packed in like a sardine I would think it would make them that much worse.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/30/20 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CFerguson wrote:

I'm not trying to stir the pot here, but Lantley (and others), do you read the CG rules about dogs when you stay there? Personally i read the rules (all of them, not just dog rules) before i show up at a place and if i dont like them i spend my money elsewheres. I am dead serious that i have never been in a CG that isnt very specific that dogs arent allowed to be left unattended.
fwiw, i rarely stay in resort type or state park CGs. Maybe thats the difference in our experiences.

Every campground does not have rules concerning unattended dogs.
I agree some do but many don't certainly not all.
I am confident my dog does not disturb the peace.
The CG will not know he is there because he is not a yapper.
If a tree falls in the forest does anybody hear?
If a dog is awaiting quietly in the camper does anybody know?

For the record there are lots of CG rules in place to give the CG absolute authority if they need it.
Your group is too loud after quiet hour ....no we were not....you are still in violation ...no alcohol permitted.

Your dog was barking... no he wasn't.... You are still in violation for leaving dog unattended

I am not the camping outlaw you imply. I have camped for many years and have not had an encounters with management concerning my dog.
I understand the rules and their intended purpose.

* This post was edited 07/30/20 06:57pm by Lantley *


2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide


camperdave

northern, California

Senior Member

Joined: 10/16/2003

View Profile



Posted: 07/30/20 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Campground doesn't know I have an autoformer in my storage compartment either, and they don't need to. Just like my unattended dog.

I once drank a beer out of a coffee mug in a dry campground too, so yeah I'm a bit of a rebel. [emoticon]


2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Campinghoss@51

Windsor NC

Senior Member

Joined: 11/03/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/30/20 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

CFerguson wrote:

I'm not trying to stir the pot here, but Lantley (and others), do you read the CG rules about dogs when you stay there? Personally i read the rules (all of them, not just dog rules) before i show up at a place and if i dont like them i spend my money elsewheres. I am dead serious that i have never been in a CG that isnt very specific that dogs arent allowed to be left unattended.
fwiw, i rarely stay in resort type or state park CGs. Maybe thats the difference in our experiences.

Every campground does not have rules concerning unattended dogs.
I agree some do but many don't certainly not all.
I am confident my dog does not disturb the peace.
The CG will not no he is there because he is not a yapper.
If a tree falls in the forest does anybody hear?
If a dog is awaiting quietly in the camper does anybody know?

For the record there are lots of CG rules in place to give the CG absolute authority if they need it.
Your group is too loud after quiet hour ....no we were not....you are still in violation ...no alcohol permitted.

Your dog was barking... no he wasn't.... You are still in violation for leaving dog unattended

I am not the camping outlaw you imply. I have camped for many years and have not had an encounters with management concerning my dog.
I understand the rules and there intended purpose.


Agree. I am not a "rule outlaw either". As a matter of fact I cannot think of one cg I have stayed in that had a problem when I had to leave our fur babies by themselves. Heck, I give most of them a key to the fiver in case something happened and they needed to get the dogs out. I show the host what I have on my smart phone in regard to my keeping an eye on them and generally they are pleased I am that diligent. With all the threads on this I understand there are folks who have had not so pleasant experiences with barking dogs but that does not make the majority of us rebels.


Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie


CFerguson

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 10/25/2018

View Profile



Posted: 07/31/20 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley, again, i am not attacking you. Even if i disagree with how you treat your dogs, you have every right to do as you wish within the law and the rules of the CGs that you stay at. I am glad you look at the rules concerning unattended dogs and wish others would also do so and abide by them. Or find somewhere else to spread their audiojoy.


And i hate to get dragged into this, but folks, i really dont care about alcohol in CGs. If you arent harming anyone by breaking the rules (and thats by THEIR perception, not yours since you are the rule breaker) then who cares.
And I have lost count of how many people have told me that theiir dog doesnt bark when they are gone when i know **** well that they do. I have begun to think that dog owners are the most Clueless people in the world.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

 > Leaving dog at campsite
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.