|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Camping with my dog

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Mike134

Elgin

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/20 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You make it sound like I'm poking around your crappy camper. Nothing could be farther from the truth. But I will not listen to your unattended dog bark from my campsite all day. Get over your high and mighty you can do as you please.

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/20 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike134 wrote:

As a dog owner I always report campers that leave their dog behind in the camper for the day.
Dear Mike, maybe you should have mentioned the barking part the first time around.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Sixgun4559

Chicagoland

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/20 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's a collapsable cage I just found that he can stay in, in the TT. I'll get one of those, keep the heat and or A/C on. I mean I leave my dog at home for periods of time. It's no different than a camper. I used to live in Texas and there were outside dogs. They weren't even allowed in the house they had a dog house and water. Seemed just fine to me, now I basically baby my dog but as long as the dog is not in desstress and not obnoxiously barking. I don't see the issue. Thanks for all the input the folks.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/20 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camping with dogs is one of the best things I can still do. I don't go to swimming pools, I take my dog swimming at lakes and rivers.

Maybe you are new at dog ownership. They require some adjustment in how you schedule your activities. Take them hiking, take them swimming, take them in a boat. When you go to a restaurant, try to eat outside and bring them along. We have 3 dogs that are part of the family, not an inconvenience.

The last thing you want to do is leave your dog unattended in warm weather. Not safe for them and not nice for your neighbors.

NatParkJunkie

Pittsburgh

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/20 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

as a solo traveler, I do leave my dog unattended in my camper in a crate with proper climate control when I need to go somewhere where the dog can't go. Usually with a radio on to drown out some of the outside noise so that he doesn't hear every car door slam shut, etc. but I also know that he's not incandescently barking nonstop while I'm not there.
I would never leave him unattended outside in a crate or otherwise. There's way too many variables....sun could shift and put the dog in the sun to overheat. He would bark at everything that he could see walking past. If a bear or wild animal or rattle snake wandered through the camp site, that could end very badly. Someone could steal him, etc.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sixgun4559 wrote:

There's a collapsable cage I just found that he can stay in, in the TT. I'll get one of those, keep the heat and or A/C on. I mean I leave my dog at home for periods of time. It's no different than a camper. I used to live in Texas and there were outside dogs. They weren't even allowed in the house they had a dog house and water. Seemed just fine to me, now I basically baby my dog but as long as the dog is not in desstress and not obnoxiously barking. I don't see the issue. Thanks for all the input the folks.

One thing that seems to make a HUGE difference: if you plan on being gone for a few hours - take the dog for a nice long walk first! Tired dogs are good dogs. On our Alaska trip, Hubby and I wanted to take a 1/2-day boat tour, so walked the dogs pretty much around the perimeter of Valdez. When we got back to the RV, the dogs were STILL passed out - clearly they didn't miss us in the slightest....LOL!

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

One thing that seems to make a HUGE difference: if you plan on being gone for a few hours - take the dog for a nice long walk first! Tired dogs are good dogs. On our Alaska trip, Hubby and I wanted to take a 1/2-day boat tour, so walked the dogs pretty much around the perimeter of Valdez. When we got back to the RV, the dogs were STILL passed out - clearly they didn't miss us in the slightest....LOL!

Solid gold advice right here!

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

some people should not own dogs.

Sixgun4559

Chicagoland

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

Sixgun4559 wrote:

VERY true, I'm looking forward to my trips with the pup and family. Sounds like a lot of people are doing some more primative camping than I'm looking at lol. I would look to boondock somewhere but I doubt the wife would go for that. Right now it's gonna be Yogi Bear campgrounds and maybe some KOA. Eventually I'd like to expand my camping horizons.

JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sixgun4559 wrote:

I was just going to suggest look into a folding kennel for inside. This is what we do with our year old puppy (bloodhound/boxer mix and nearly 100lbs). He's a pretty good boy by now but he still can't be trusted to be left alone with anything soft (blankets, pillows, cushions etc). He's a "Happy camper" in the kennel too as it's similar to his one at home.

We have 3 dogs. 1 is a basset hound that does bark whenever she hears someone outside. We try to minimize this by leaving something on to drown out noise... TV/radio, and of course AC when it's hot out. But dogs do bark sometimes, and if you're close enough to my camper to hear it and have it annoy you, then you're too close.

2020 Keystone Montana 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Camping with my dog
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.