|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> What do you shut off when leaving for a trip

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/20 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need to shut off the incoming water line. Should an internal pipe break anywhere (including the lines to the clothes washer) you will return to a wet house and a huge water bill!

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I make sure that the hoses to the clothes washer are shut off.
bumpy

RockyMt

Castle Rock Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I close the door!

joelc

Cedar Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We leave our 5er for the Summer and go North for several months. A dehumidifier is set up and we put our A/C on 95% to take care of the Southern humidity.
As for what we shut off: Water heater, water, bring in slides, Clean out black tank (grey is left open so water from dehumidifier goes into shower drain and out), we cut the 12V switch and cover the A/C that we are not using. We do have a neighbor who checks the dehumidifier filter 1X per month, to be sure it is clean.

ljr

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One winter with the water off, my furnace quit. It got cold enough for the shutoff valve to freeze and rupture. By the time I returned in a couple months, 23,000 gal of water had gone into my finished basement.

Now I have the township shut the water off at the curb.

Larry

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really never thought about shutting any thing off ! I am lucky if I remember to lock the door ! Shutting water off makes sense !

ZINGERLITE

Union Lake, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

I see some are confused. The OP is talking about the sticks-n-bricks home. I've never shut anything off. I do set the AC higher or heat lower lower. As of now, my kids stay behind and keep an eye on the house.

I don't worry about any of that,

Those days were when i threw some of my craziest house parties! lol

Seattle Steve

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife worked in insurance claims her whole career, and says the most common claim by far is water damage from broken washing machine water hose, and distant second is ice maker water damage, either a broken line or malfunction of the shut-off after it fills the tray. The home doesn't even have to be unoccupied--it frequently happens at night.

I do change out my washing machine water hoses every five years, but I don't really do anything (other than adjust the thermostat) when we leave. Our neighbors are great, and check the house daily.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seattle Steve wrote:

My wife worked in insurance claims her whole career, and says the most common claim by far is water damage from broken washing machine water hose, and distant second is ice maker water damage, either a broken line or malfunction of the shut-off after it fills the tray. The home doesn't even have to be unoccupied--it frequently happens at night.

I do change out my washing machine water hoses every five years, but I don't really do anything (other than adjust the thermostat) when we leave. Our neighbors are great, and check the house daily.

Some years ago I installed a lever action dual valve for the clothes washer, and turn the water off there whenever I'm not washing clothes. It takes all of a couple seconds with one of those valves, and becomes part of the process of operating the washer. It's much, much handier than a pair of globe valves that have to be turned a couple full revolutions each to operate them.

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/20 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We leave the pets home and have a friend that stays there part of the time when we are gone. So nothing gets turned off.
We do however have a leak sensor in the basement that is wired to turn off the water pump if it detects water in the basement. I have sensors near the spot where the water comes into the house, and next to the pressure tank, furnace and water heater. Right above the water entrance is the kitchen sink and right above the furnace and 2 of the upstairs bathroom so if anything leaks, the well gets turned off. The pressure tank only hold 25 gallons of water so the amount of water that can leak is minimal. I also have a floor drain next to the furnace.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> What do you shut off when leaving for a trip
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.