|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Kind of a dumb question, but I'm new

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
SlothHorn

Rowlett, TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Y'all were so gracious to help me with my last question, so here goes #2.

The only thing I have on my truck right now is a hitch cover. Therefore, I need to get a hitch, weight distribution, sway control... essentially the whole 9 yards. I'll be going to Camping World locally to have the equipment installed.

My question is this. If I know the style and approximate weight of the travel trailer I'm going to get, is it appropriate to go ahead and get this done THEN look for trailers OR do I need to buy/get the specific trailer first, then hit up Camping World? I guess what I'm asking is, does "one size fit all" when it comes to hitches and trailers weighing around 5,000 lbs dry (a little over 6,000 with people/equipment)?

We're probably not buying until September; however, as a teacher, I've got a couple of weeks of free time before reporting to school. I'd just as soon go ahead and take care of the stuff I can do now, but don't want to buy and get something installed that, ultimately, doesn't fit the trailer we buy.

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get your hitch and sway control from your trailer dealer. You should make it a package deal and may save a few bucks.

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/20 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum’s advice is good. You can’t install a WDH without a trailer.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/20 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you have a 7 pin conecter and a break controller? You could do that ahead of time. The wdh will have to be ajusted for your specific camper. So really useless to get it done now. I agree to try to add it as a package deal especially since your going to have someone else do it.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Danoo

Califorina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/20 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As previously stated, get a 7 way and the brake controller unit for your tow vehicle done now. The get the wdh when you get your trailer.

Dan
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD QC SB 4x4
2020 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 22FQS

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/20 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Adding the hitch is a simple and quick deal. Camping World might not be your best choice of shops to do it. Buying from the dealer you buy the camper from is good advice. CW has a less than stellar reputation.

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SlothHorn wrote:

Y'all were so gracious to help me with my last question, so here goes #2.

The only thing I have on my truck right now is a hitch cover. Therefore, I need to get a hitch, weight distribution, sway control... essentially the whole 9 yards. I'll be going to Camping World locally to have the equipment installed.

My question is this. If I know the style and approximate weight of the travel trailer I'm going to get, is it appropriate to go ahead and get this done THEN look for trailers OR do I need to buy/get the specific trailer first, then hit up Camping World? I guess what I'm asking is, does "one size fit all" when it comes to hitches and trailers weighing around 5,000 lbs dry (a little over 6,000 with people/equipment)?

We're probably not buying until September; however, as a teacher, I've got a couple of weeks of free time before reporting to school. I'd just as soon go ahead and take care of the stuff I can do now, but don't want to buy and get something installed that, ultimately, doesn't fit the trailer we buy.

Number 1! STAY AWAY FROM CAMPING WORLD FOR ANY SERVICE OR PARTS!!! Camping World gets terrible reviews from just about all RV.net members.

Do some research and find a reputable RV Shop in your town that has been in business for years. No!, one size does not fit all. Hitches are labled I, 2, 3 ,4 based on weight capacity the hitch will carry. You want a hitch that will carry more weight that you actually need. I used the Reese Dual Cam hitch and found it very stable while towing. Go on line and search for trailer hitches and then start your evaluation and comparison. Do not try to save money on a hitch, buy the best you can afford . If you buy a new trailer, throw away the tires and buy some good 10 ply tires. Buy the Good Sam premium road side assistance plan.

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

campigloo wrote:

Adding the hitch is a simple and quick deal. Camping World might not be your best choice of shops to do it. Buying from the dealer you buy the camper from is good advice. CW has a less than stellar reputation.

Totally agree100%

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/20 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skip the CW & the Good Sam. Get CoachNet if you want an assistance plan. Buy your WDH from eTrailer using their advice. Contrary to popular opinion, you don’t need to drop a ton of money on a WDH, most issues are maladjustment. If you closely follow instructions, you can install or get some help from someone that has mechanical ability. I drove home from my wonderful dealer with the hitch completely loose on the shank.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As bgum said, get it at the same time you get the trailer, and have the dealer do the initial set up and adjustments as much as possible.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Kind of a dumb question, but I'm new
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.