|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Kind of a dumb question, but I'm new

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy your trailer first.

Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum wrote:

Get your hitch and sway control from your trailer dealer. You should make it a package deal and may save a few bucks.

I agree with Begum !
I did that on our first two trailers and never had to worry about it

Guy

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

campigloo wrote:

Adding the hitch is a simple and quick deal. Camping World might not be your best choice of shops to do it. Buying from the dealer you buy the camper from is good advice. CW has a less than stellar reputation.

No matter which dealer does it I'd double check their setup, measure the wheel well front and rear, drop the trailer on the ball, measure, then attach/engage the WDH and measure a third time. The third measurements front and rear should be roughly halfway between the first and second.

2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH

winniman

muskoka Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A transmission cooler is a good addition if your truck doesnt have one. A business that sells utility trailers and some U haul places install hitches. It doesnt have to be a rv place.

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/20 10:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

afidel wrote:

campigloo wrote:

Adding the hitch is a simple and quick deal. Camping World might not be your best choice of shops to do it. Buying from the dealer you buy the camper from is good advice. CW has a less than stellar reputation.

No matter which dealer does it I'd double check their setup, measure the wheel well front and rear, drop the trailer on the ball, measure, then attach/engage the WDH and measure a third time. The third measurements front and rear should be roughly halfway between the first and second.
THIS
wdh hitches are all about distributing the weight . Wheel well or bumper height measurements are critical. when done properly. WDH bars must match the loaded tongue weight to be effective.
?

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 10:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Or save hundreds of dollars and buy used wdh on Craigslist.

SlothHorn

Rowlett, TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/20 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting. I had seen a couple of negatives re: Camper's World here and there.
I didn't realize the feeling was so widespread. I'll follow y'all's advice and wait until I purchase the trailer.

Thanks for the info.

trail-explorer

NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/20 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SlothHorn wrote:

I'll be going to Camping World locally to have the equipment installed.

Don't buy anything from CW, not let their service people attempt to install it. Wait and get it done at the RV dealer you buy the RV from. And don't buy an RV from CW either.

Bob

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/20 08:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Due to the fact that the bars on a WDH are specific to ranges of tongue weight, you really need to wait until you get the trailer.

Equal-i-zer® brand hitches DO NOT have interchangable bars, they are removable but due to design differences you have to replace the entire hitch head (but not the shank) and the bars, as a unit if you need to go from one weight range to another. Other hitches have interchangeable weight bars, such as the Blue Ox Sway Pro, its available with 350 lb. 550 lb, 750 lb, 1000 lb and 1500 lb weight bars. The hitch head is the same, you just change the bars (but thats a $200 plus proposition).

Many dealers do not really know how to set up hitches. An Equal-i-zer in particular is not the easiest to set up.

Shop for a good used WDH, they are on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace, you just gotta search for them, and know what you are looking at. I just bought a 7 month old, possibly used once (ball was not scratched) Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch with 1000 lb bars for my 800 lb plus tongue weight. Paid $300 for it, cheapest I can get it delivered to my door for was something over $600, plus the cost of the ball. I made a 900 mile round trip in the car to get it, but I got a bunch of other camping stuff also, the guy was cleaning out his garage. New Camco lego blocks, Zero Gravity lounge chairs, dogbone adapters, and a couple of other valuable items all thrown in. Camping was not his bag and they were moving.

One thing to pay attention to is that whoever sets up the hitch has TORQUE WRENCHES to tighten the ball and the two bolts that retain the head to the shank. Many people think "German tight" is good enough, but you are playing with fire if they come loose on you.

A ball will generally have a 1¼ inch threaded shank and (fine thread) will be torqued to 450 lb/ft (yes, you read that right) and the 3/4 cross bolts holding the hitch head to the shank are torqued to 260 lb/ft (and yes, I own the proper torque wrenches).

Charles

https://www.amazon.com/photos/all/gallery/EQA9E_MPRJm7vuzzfbUQyQ

* This post was last edited 07/28/20 09:24pm by CharlesinGA *   View edit history

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/20 09:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should be able to figure out what spring bars you need one you decide on the trailer. Order it from etrailer or Amazon, and watch a YouTube video and set it up yourself. My Blue Ox sway pro was super easy to install and setup.

Maybe it was just my dealer, but he did not instill much confidence when he started to scrape some excess caulk off with a metal puddy knife on the fiberglass siding.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Kind of a dumb question, but I'm new
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.