RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Will my trailer fit in this space?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Will my trailer fit in this space?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
tgruninger

Allen, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all. Looking for a bit of some advice here from RV parking experts. We are looking to purchase a 26ft travel trailer and would like to park it on our parking pad next to the house that was made for a Class B or C motor home. We have done some scale models to test and it seems like a tight squeeze to the pad between the shed and the side of the garage. We will have access to a motorized dolly (AC6). The dealer will not let us borrow the trailer to test it out...does anyone have any thoughts based on the pictures attached or ideas on how we could help ourselves be more confident on whether or not this is doable? It seems like it will fit but not sure...any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B2QU6_o0tCPvPFSn8MJ5o8mTPXoE_pDJ/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B4r37q8WxPtLDZTu-OcTJZ6mLixB9fRx/view?usp=sharing

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/20 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try this for pictures...

http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=3

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tgruninger wrote:

Hi all. Looking for a bit of some advice here from RV parking experts. We are looking to purchase a 26ft travel trailer and would like to park it on our parking pad next to the house that was made for a Class B or C motor home. We have done some scale models to test and it seems like a tight squeeze to the pad between the shed and the side of the garage. We will have access to a motorized dolly (AC6). The dealer will not let us borrow the trailer to test it out...does anyone have any thoughts based on the pictures attached or ideas on how we could help ourselves be more confident on whether or not this is doable? It seems like it will fit but not sure...any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B2QU6_o........CPvPFSn8MJ5o8mTPXoE_pDJ/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B4r37q8........PtLDZTu-OcTJZ6mLixB9fRx/view?usp=sharing

Made clickable.

Hard to know for sure but that looks really tight. Maybe post on a local Facebook or Nextdoor site to see if someone is willing to bring their similar sized trailer by to check? Or rent a flatbed that you can stick pipes off of to mock it up the full size? It would need a similar tongue to axle length to be accurate.

With a motorized dolly, you can consider pulling it in tongue first if your driveway is flat enough. The would allow for the tongue to head toward the grass edge long enough to get the tail to clear the shed before cutting back toward the house.

If it must back in, how about a set of 4 of these (wheel dolly) for the trailer tires? You can back in kind of sharp like your paper model shows, then push the rear closer to the house as you continue back.

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/20 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you calculate the TT at eight feet wide? With awning, spouts etc it could be 8’4 or 8’5”.

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like your nice PVC pipe sample is kinda bent at the corner of the Garage on the left..

It looks like it might fit in that space, if you just went back at like a 45* angle?? and then don't worry about swinging the tongue to the 'barn' building?

Even with a tongue dolly, you will still need spotters on both sides... In a truck with nice mirrors, you can at least see both sides just by turning your head.. Driving a dolly, you can't see anything..

I'd just back it in with the truck.. I have a tight space too on the side of my house, but I only have to zig-zag it as it goes up and finally jack it on the drivers side to make it parallel to the house..

[image]
[image]

Mine is easy compared to yours!

Good luck! Mitch
[image]

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/20 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like you have enough room. It will take some practice but once you figure out the markers on where to line it up and when to cut it you'll be parking that in 5 mins in no time. If I was visiting I could get my 34' TT in there.

I wouldn't go in tongue first, that's going to make it really tough to get out of there with the dolly. Back it in, get yourself a good set of mirrors on the truck (like you should have anyway) and have a spotter help with blind spots.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel

Under renovations:
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
Follow the Renovation here!

SOLD: 2001 K2500 Suburban LT 8.1L/4.10
2008 Terry 34' TT many mods, Hensley Hitch

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/20 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like you have enough room. It will take some practice but once you figure out the markers on where to line it up and when to cut it you'll be parking that in 5 mins in no time. If I was visiting I could get my 34' TT in there.

I wouldn't go in tongue first, that's going to make it really tough to get out of there with the dolly. Back it in, get yourself a good set of mirrors on the truck (like you should have anyway) and have a spotter help with blind spots.

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 03:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our original parking space beside the garage was easy backing for a 22 footer but now takes 15 minutes with 30 footer and my wife's eyes..... doable but no room for error.

Take your time and stay calm.

corvettekent

Marysville, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/20 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would move the shed to another location. That would be a lot easier than repairing the side of the trailer and or the corner of the garage.

2007.5 GMC Dually EC/LB, LMM. Banks IQ, Speed Brake, Six Gun. B&W Turnover Ball, Companion Hitch, Amp power steps. Hadley Air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT and four 6 volt batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

The difference with tongue first is you can continue back much further along a diagonal approach before having to turn back toward parallel to the house. If continue too far diagonally when backing, your axles will end up really far from the house. I'm not sure you can correct enough once the corner of the trailer clears the shed. Backing in may work but it depends upon how close to parallel you can start backing and how far back you need to go before cutting the tongue over.

To get out from pulling in forward, back until the rear is near the shed, then send the tongue directly toward the grass until the tail will clear the shed, then continue straight back.

This all depends upon whether the trailer needs to go all the way back, or just far enough to clear the driveway to the garage.

I agree that backing in with a truck would be the preferred method but having other options after purchase would be nice if that doesn't work out. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Will my trailer fit in this space?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.