RV.Net Open Roads Forum: AC problem from hell: Now compressor is turning off.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> AC problem from hell: Now compressor is turning off.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Cheapfix

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/20 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fwiw, I did fix the errors cavie pointed out along with other errors I found. This is important. Autocorrect is in the early stages of incorporating AI. Expect lots of stuff like that as it learns to do a better job (will probably take a year or more). I've embraced autocorrect and it would be hard to turn it off because I depend on it. Often I can type two letters and it knows the word I'm typing. Amazing. But when it's wrong, it can be glaring. I duplicated this one by typing a misspelling of capacitor and it put in compressor. I believe that's what happened. I reread what I wrote after I wrote it. But the human brain remembers intent and can miss the errors. It missed about 10.

The world keeps changing. Unfortunately, human nature is the slowest thing to change. DNA is stubborn but it does make adjustments faster than most think. Btw, this is my are of expertise: clinical psychology, especially as it relates to genetics.

There's one thing that really helps during these times and it's human nature too: the benefit of the doubt. Remember to use it and life will be a lot less stressful. I promise.

Cheapfix

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/20 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fwiw, I did fix the errors cavie pointed out along with other errors I found. This is important. Autocorrect is in the early stages of incorporating AI. Expect lots of stuff like that as it learns to do a better job (will probably take a year or more). I've embraced autocorrect and it would be hard to turn it off because I depend on it. Often I can type two letters and it knows the word I'm typing. Amazing. But when it's wrong, it can be glaring. I duplicated this one by typing a misspelling of capacitor and it put in compressor. I believe that's what happened. I reread what I wrote after I wrote it. But the human brain remembers intent and can miss the errors. It missed about 10.

The world keeps changing. Unfortunately, human nature is the slowest thing to change. DNA is stubborn but it does make adjustments faster than most think. Btw, this is my are of expertise: clinical psychology, especially as it relates to genetics.

There's one thing that really helps during these times and it's human nature too: the benefit of the doubt. Remember to use it and life will be a lot less stressful. I promise.

Cheapfix

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/20 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dang. Why did it do that. I wrote a new comment and it duplicated my previous comment. Second time it's done that. Does this platform not adapt well to a phone?

* This post was edited 07/28/20 05:05pm by Cheapfix *

Cheapfix

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/20 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Okay Doug, I'll try again.

When leaving it on all night worked, I was thinking the same thing. It's probably the compressor. I was of course hoping it wasn't. But I have nearly 60 years experience with compressors in fridges and freezers. They go out in all sorts of unusual ways in my experience. While some last 50 years sitting in the same place and constantly running, try moving them and see what happens. Maybe for an AC unit used one season and jostled around with each move, 14 years is about all you get.

I'm thinking out of the box because I've noticed that my age is becoming a factor. The less time I can spend on the roof, or climbing under something, the better.

So I'm thinking of going with a portable AC for the home permanently mounted in the bedroom in a place we have where you could put a washer/dryer. The hamper is there now, lol. When we're inside, we're usually in the bedroom anyway. In tbe winter we only heat the bedroom. It would fit out lifestyle and I'm thinking with cold air traveling down, it might partly cool the living area.

Do you happen to have any thoughts on the technology compared to the traditional roof mounted AC? Pros and cons? Thanks! Cavie and everyone else, please feel free to chime in too.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/20 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The portable AC is good as long as you have a way to drain off the condensation water. They make the portables where you just run the drain line to a hole in the wall or floor. For the cost, I would just get a 15k upper unit from Coleman. $900 for a Coleman 15k versus $700 for a 14k portable. Doug

https://www.campingworld.com/coleman-mach-15-air-conditioner-630165.html

Cheapfix

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/20 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Doug. I appreciate your input. There's a way to try a portable unit just for the bedroom for under $300. If we don't like it, we can sell it and go with the rooftop unit for next season.

Pros:
* Cools the room very fast even when scorching hot. Rooftop takes forever if you don't start it early in the day.
* Better dehumidifier that can be used year round. When AC is running, almost no water collects. They cool the coils with the water and most of it is expelled with exhaust.
* Super easy installation.
* Extended warranty is cheap. If it breaks after 4 years, you just buy another.
* With another small one in the living area, there's always a backup if one needs service.
* Pretty soon they will be $199. That will be the living room unit.
* I don't have to climb up on the roof to do maintenance/repair.

Cons:
* This one is big: the exhaust hose is 6" diameter and made to run out a window with the unit sitting away from the wall. The installation I want has it next to the wall and that may be tricky since the exhaust comes straight out of the back. It will be awkward until I know it works like we think and get it installed properly for our situation.

* We lose a little floor space in both rooms.

* It will probably reduce resale value if it's not a spectacular upgrade to standard rooftop.

* Doing one in each room does not provide much cost savings.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/20 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

is there a chance there's some cold air leaking into the return air flow and tricking the thermocouple thinking the air is now cold? I had this issue on my brand new TT.

Cheapfix

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/20 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Phil, There may be a chance. Do you remember where the leak was? Was it associated with the lower (inside) part of the unit? Thanks.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/20 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

is there a chance there's some cold air leaking into the return air flow and tricking the thermocouple thinking the air is now cold? I had this issue on my brand new TT.

This would not cause a compressor to kick on and off within 3 minutes. Not even 30 minutes. Doug

PatJ

Eastern WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/20 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doug do you know if these RV compressors have internal thermal overloads like small residential? Maybe your new condenser fan is not moving the air the old one did and you are going out on thermal. They auto-reset but it would take a long time to come back on once it went off (an hour?) not like a regular "cycle."

Also only mentioning this because I've seen it before by a skilled installer (not on an RV) but is the new condenser fan motor turning the right direction?

Patrick

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> AC problem from hell: Now compressor is turning off.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.