RV.Net Open Roads Forum: AC problem from hell: Now compressor is turning off.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> AC problem from hell: Now compressor is turning off.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Cheapfix

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 09:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doug, btw, I closed up over half an hour ago and the compressor is still running. Interior is cool. I'm tempted to let it run 24/7 until I have a better grasp on what the problem might be. That assumes it keeps working which it may not. Thanks, Bill

Cheapfix

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 09:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doug, btw, I closed up over half an hour ago and the compressor is still running. Interior is cool. Back of the unit is super hot. Pipe going to the front is ice cold. I'm tempted to let it run 24/7 until I have a better grasp on what the problem might be. That assumes it keeps working which it may not. Thanks, Bill

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 10:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a 50 year Master electrician my advice to you is keep your hands off things you know nothing about. In your first post you stated " I replaced the motor, fan blower and compressor". "Replaced a blower motor that wasn't the right one but made do". Scrape that junk off the roof and have someone else install a new one. A/C service work is not a DIY project. As stated above, RV A/C's are not serviceable like a home unit is.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

Mont G&J

Missoula, MT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/20 11:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Coleman AC has a low voltage cutoff if the campground voltage drops below 109 Volts.

Cheapfix

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/20 12:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cavie,

If you don't want to be of help, please feel free to not barge in and tell off someone you don't know. Here's the link for the motor:

https://www.amazon.com/2-Speed-Air-Conditioner-Motor-Replaces/dp/B07PPT5Y7P

Says it replaces the Fasco. It's not an exact replacement though. They didn't say that. The bolts that attach to the bracket weren't exactly right for one thing. I hope it's okay with you that I drilled four holes.

I'm a long time member of this community. But my old email address no longer works. I signed up for a new account to save time. That's one hell of a way to treat what looks like a new member. I'm glad you have so much knowledge and experience in one area. It may surprise you that most people have areas of expertise. It would be nice if you could share some of what you've got. My guess is you already know what the problem is. If you don't, all you need is a little more info. Oh well, someone else will help.

Anyone want to jump in and help me solve this mystery? The AC is still working perfectly since my last report. I'm going to leave it on and see if it maintains a comfortable room temperature overnight.

If I made any typos, or autocorrect put in the wrong word, please forgive me and/or Google. I swear I'm not the idiot Cavie would make me out to be. I can probably fix this with a little help. If not, I'll use what I learn to hire someone who can. While there isn't nearby RV repair in this rural area. There's easily 20 people in this valley that can fix it. I just need to find one.

Cheapfix

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/20 01:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Montana, that's good info. Our irrigation pump would not turn on today. Really weird because it's relatively new and rebuilt by the best shop in the state. PUD is working nearby. Ranger comes out tomorrow to look at the pump. If it suddenly works, maybe you're onto something.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/20 04:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cavie wrote:

As a 50 year Master electrician my advice to you is keep your hands off things you know nothing about. In your first post you stated " I replaced the motor, fan blower and compressor".

WHere did he say he replaced the compressor? (I reread the origial post several times)

WHen I replaced the blower motor with an other than exact replacement. Well the Expert was on the roof with me it was a combined knowledge effort That's about 600 pounds of beef on the roof [emoticon] (we are both big guys) Worked well till the rest of the unit failed.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/20 05:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Always check the voltage first thing.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/20 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

cavie wrote:

As a 50 year Master electrician my advice to you is keep your hands off things you know nothing about. In your first post you stated " I replaced the motor, fan blower and compressor".

WHere did he say he replaced the compressor? (I reread the origial post several times)

WHen I replaced the blower motor with an other than exact replacement. Well the Expert was on the roof with me it was a combined knowledge effort That's about 600 pounds of beef on the roof [emoticon] (we are both big guys) Worked well till the rest of the unit failed.

He DID state Compressor replaced. But on his edit he change Compressor to CAPACITOR. No Big deal but it skews the diag help. Doug

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/20 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The ONLY thing you can do at this point is, have a AMP reading of the Compressor. THAT will tell you what is going ON. Since your unit is 15 years old, I would lean to the Compressor OVERLOAD switch is kicking out due to HI amp draw(Bad Compressor). The normal compressor amp draw is around 10.5 to 12.0 amps, depending on the unit. Since your unit is 15 years old, I would replace the upper unit. Stop trying to make a old horse win the race. Doug

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> AC problem from hell: Now compressor is turning off.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.