RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Recommend a TT (rough roads, no campgrounds)

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > Recommend a TT (rough roads, no campgrounds)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
NDFightingSioux

Minnesota

New Member

Joined: 12/30/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/22/20 10:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator


That's a Black Series trailer. They're an Aussie designed, US built trailer.

Hey, afidel: Where do you get your info that the Black Series is "Aussie designed, U.S. built?" Pretty sure they're all Aussie manufactured and shipped to the U.S. But, if you can prove me wrong I'm all ears!

afidel

Cleveland

Senior Member

Joined: 12/23/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/22/20 11:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NDFightingSioux wrote:

Quote:


That's a Black Series trailer. They're an Aussie designed, US built trailer.


Hey, afidel: Where do you get your info that the Black Series is "Aussie designed, U.S. built?" Pretty sure they're all Aussie manufactured and shipped to the U.S. But, if you can prove me wrong I'm all ears!


Their own tagline on their Facebook page says "Australian Design; Made in LA", specially they're located in City of Industry, California.


2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH


ppine

Northern Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 07/04/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/23/20 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best factory TTs for off-road applications would probably be Outdoors RV made in Oregon. They have a suspension system with shocks, welded aluminum frame and very large tanks. They are designed for off-road use.

goducks10

There

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/23/20 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine wrote:

The best factory TTs for off-road applications would probably be Outdoors RV made in Oregon. They have a suspension system with shocks, welded aluminum frame and very large tanks. They are designed for off-road use.


As an ORV owner I beg to differ. Adding shocks and a CRE3000 to a 60's style trailer frame does not make it off road capable.
The independent style suspensions on the Aussie style TT's is the only true off road version.

ORV's are intended for off the grid use. All ORV trailers are too big and long for serious off roading. They're fine for gravel roads and dirt roads that any Honda Accord could drive down. My driveway is not even steep and my rear stab jacks almost rub the concrete when backing in or pulling out.

As for Black Series trailers origin. It seems hard to get the facts. From reading on various forums it seems that they're Aussie designed with China made frames and or box and assembled in CA.

I would call to see if I could do a tour of the factory if that interested. If they don't let you see the factory then that will tell you something.

Durb

NW

Senior Member

Joined: 01/15/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 12/23/20 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look at Oliver trailers. Welded aluminum frame and double wall hand laid fiberglass construction like a boat. Narrow width will track your truck better if running in ruts. You won't find one to sleep 6 though.

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

Senior Member

Joined: 05/20/2015

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/23/20 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Build your own start here: https://turtlebacktrailers.com/getawayseries/


2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold


Clicck

USA

New Member

Joined: 07/17/2018

View Profile



Posted: 12/30/20 08:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

afidel wrote:


That's a Black Series trailer. They're an Aussie designed, US built trailer. .


Hardly, they are a chinese designed copy of what an aussie trailer looks like.

Plenty of other forums have posts about the poor quality, junk materials, and poor assembly.

There are people who get duped into paying big dollars because it looks "Aussie" LOL.

Cortttt

Western US

New Member

Joined: 10/21/2021

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/27/21 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Clicck wrote:

afidel wrote:


That's a Black Series trailer. They're an Aussie designed, US built trailer. .


Hardly, they are a chinese designed copy of what an aussie trailer looks like.

Plenty of other forums have posts about the poor quality, junk materials, and poor assembly.

There are people who get duped into paying big dollars because it looks "Aussie" LOL.


I wouldn't fall into the trap of assuming that because something was made in China that its low quality. (Half of our stuff including IPhones are made in China). I would be wary as well of concluding from a couple of posts that something is low quality. There is a Black Series Facebook site. I saw one guy with complaints - the rest seemed pretty happy.

My question regarding these big, beautiful trailers is how well they do off road. That's actually pretty hard to tell.

Steve76eb

Folsom, CA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/15/2003

View Profile



Posted: 11/01/21 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cortttt wrote:

Clicck wrote:

afidel wrote:


That's a Black Series trailer. They're an Aussie designed, US built trailer. .


Hardly, they are a chinese designed copy of what an aussie trailer looks like.

Plenty of other forums have posts about the poor quality, junk materials, and poor assembly.

There are people who get duped into paying big dollars because it looks "Aussie" LOL.


I wouldn't fall into the trap of assuming that because something was made in China that its low quality. (Half of our stuff including IPhones are made in China). I would be wary as well of concluding from a couple of posts that something is low quality. There is a Black Series Facebook site. I saw one guy with complaints - the rest seemed pretty happy.

My question regarding these big, beautiful trailers is how well they do off road. That's actually pretty hard to tell.


A guy at work just sold his Black Series after less than 2 years. Bought himself a ORV. The reason you do not hear of too many people complaining about the Black Series is the ownership has threatened litigation against people who complain about their product. Some dealers have stopped carrying them do to quality issues.

NamMedevac 70

Reno

Senior Member

Joined: 11/09/2020

View Profile



Posted: 11/01/21 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now days they do make trailers for remote off rough road camping. They are usually small and I see them on all the dealer lots. Many brands to choose from now.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > Recommend a TT (rough roads, no campgrounds)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.