RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Recommend a TT (rough roads, no campgrounds)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Recommend a TT (rough roads, no campgrounds)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/20 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd focus in on a good strong steel chassis with wood framing/aluminum siding. When it gets whacked into a tree, aluminum dents instead of cracking. Our old Fleetwood Terry was 24' tip to tail and sat nice and high. Needed to convert the dinette to sleep 6 though. Not exactly rough country ready just due to sheer size, but it was surprisingly tough. I bounced it down dumb roads and never did anything worse than ripping up some plumbing. Keep in mind though, it's still a large trailer. You aren't going Jeep trailing with it, some light fire roads at best. It's just too wide and tall for anything more than that.

You could pick up a nice short dual axle wood framed trailer from the 90's for very cheap, then build it out. At least then you start with a good steel chassis and water tanks already in place, and you could build the interior to suit.

2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/20 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This might be just over your budget, but should get you anywhere you want to go...

https://newatlas.com/automotive/unicat-md56c-6x6-motorhome/

ttavasc

Western Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/20 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

24ft box is still going to be overall around 28ft. Our ORV 23DBS is 27'9" but would cover all the items listed. ORV also has the smaller 21DBS that comes in at 25'9" overall - no outdoor kitchen though.

TT: 2019 ORV Timber Ridge 23DBS, Blue Ox SwayPro 15K/1500
TV: 2019 F-250 XLT SuperCab LB, 6.2L, 4.30/e-locker, 164" WB, 4x4
TV - 2014 RAM 1500 Big Horn CC (Traded In)
TT - 2015 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway hitch (Traded in)

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/20 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This won’t completely fill your order but airing the tires down helps a lot. Of course just be sure you can air up before you get back on the real road.

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/20 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a cargo camper. Learned a lot.
I lifted the body 10 inches by removing the 4 inch drop axle and put a straight axle on and mounting the springs on top of the axle. This gives me more clearance than the truck has and I have never dragged the trailer, came close but havent yet, and if it does no biggie to drag a little bit.

sleeping 6 is a big order, and I bet a temporary situation. Make it for 3 or 4 and have the other 2 or 3 able to fit, but not build that part in.

You could, if money no object, put a roof-top tent up there and that'll add 2-3 more sleepers.
This removes and sells as used when you no longer have 6.

I'm all for converting a cargo trailer. This is by far my favorite of the 6 motorhomes or campers or truck campers that I have owned. Simple, rugged, stealthy, useful and custom built for me.

trail-explorer

NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/20 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

zeke.b.campin wrote:

Looking for suggestions for a new TT. A few years back, we owned a unit from Outdoors RV. It seemed well built but was too large for the places we like to camp. We camp as far in the back country that we can in CO/WY/MT.

-24ish feet box

24' of box length seems really long to be dragging way up into the hills on unimproved dirt fire roads.

Bob

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/20 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trail-explorer wrote:

zeke.b.campin wrote:

Looking for suggestions for a new TT. A few years back, we owned a unit from Outdoors RV. It seemed well built but was too large for the places we like to camp. We camp as far in the back country that we can in CO/WY/MT.

-24ish feet box

24' of box length seems really long to be dragging way up into the hills on unimproved dirt fire roads.

That’s true on some roads but I get my 36’ down a bunch of them. It’s often easier than it appears at first.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/20 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So why not get another Outdoors RV if you liked it? They make shorter lengths.
However, despite the “cargo trailer conversion” thread, if you’re really intending to get as far back on bad roads as possible, a heavy duty cargo trailer with a lift, or a deck over like a snowmobile trailer is a more rugged platform than most TTs.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Kach

WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/20 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were basically in the same dilemma you are. Family of 5, preferring dry camping in semi rough locations (I usually don’t set out for it to be as rough as it ends up).

We ended up with another basic stick-and tin trailer (Open Range). Anything much better seemed to cost 2-3 times (seriously..) as much. I bought my trailer with the mindset that we’ll mod it to meet our needs.

I was going to lift it, but now that we’ve had it out I think I’m just going to increase the tire size and put airbags on my Tindra to get back those few inches of hitch area clearance.

Long story short, I’ve wedged the trailer into spots as tight as pretty much possible. Most forest service roads were built with logging trucks in mind, so it’s usually not as bad as you think. BLM type roads can vary wildly so you kind of need to know what you’re getting into. On-x maps and Google earth help a lot with the overheads.

* This post was edited 08/01/20 09:33pm by Kach *

Blazing Zippers

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/20 10:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cocktails for 6
Dinner for 4
Sleeping for 2
The afore was on a placard aboard a vessel and we've found it to be valuable. Especially when we found 6 of us crammed into a small cabover camper due to rain.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Recommend a TT (rough roads, no campgrounds)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.