|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> No trailer brakes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
DickandVicki

Williston, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/20 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DW and I are spending the summer in Olathe, CO - can't stand the humidity in FL! When I was preparing to unhook here, I wanted to move my Curt slider hitch to the rear or maneuver position, so I positioned to slide lever on the hitch, got in the truck, squeezed the brake controller levers (as I've done many times before), put the truck in gear and moved forward - only problem was, so did the trailer! Ended up putting wheel chocks fore and aft to block 5th wheel from moving. So...realized I had come down the 11K foot drop from Monarch Pass (Rt. 50) w/out trailer brakes on the way here - thank the good Lord for His protection! So yesterday, I began to investigate my dilemma. I sanded the contacts in both the plug and truck receptacle (which both looked good to begin with) then plugged the trailer to the truck. Started the truck and had DW try both the controller levers and brake pedal while I had my hands on the trailer brake drums, but felt nothing. Today I got my multimeter out, turned the truck on, and had wife turn try signals, running lights, etc. on and all was well. So I had her squeeze the controller levers and got voltage, but when she released them and applied the brake pedal, no voltage. There is a 30 amp fuse for the trailer brakes in my engine compartment which I pulled and checked, and it was good. Any ideas out there? Am I right in thinking if all is well, I should feel SOMETHING on the brake drums when brakes are applied?

We were just plain tired - now we are re-tired!
We love the Lord, love each other, and love life!
We are blessed beyond our wildest dreams!
Living the good life in Williston, FL.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/20 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Verify output from controller
Verify power gets into controller.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

John Wayne

Long Beach, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/20 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you can't feel anything take a compass and put it next to the wheel you want to test when the magnets on the brakes get power from the brake pedal the compass needle will move.

John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/20 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What truck do you have? Is it newer with a built in brake controller?

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/20 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some integrated controllers do little or nothing below 11 MPH, see your owners manual.

Check your ohm reading on the trailer between the brake pin and the ground pin, should be about 1 ohm. Test

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/20 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brake controllers are simple. Ground/HOT 12 volt/FEED to trailer plug/BRAKE PEDAL brake light wire. So, you probably have NO power to the controller when pushing the Brake Pedal. The RED wire goes to the cold side of the Brake Pedal light switch. So, check for 12 volts on the RED wire when you push the brake pedal. Doug

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/20 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP tried using the slide lever with no effect. That relies on nothing from the brake light switch.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/20 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

OP tried using the slide lever with no effect. That relies on nothing from the brake light switch.

His post. So I had her squeeze the controller levers and got voltage, but when she released them and applied the brake pedal, no voltage.
Doug

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/20 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now, I rarely work on Brake controllers. WE have a tech that specializes in them. BUT, from my understanding of how they operate, just pushing the Brake Pedal will NOT activate the voltage. The Brake Controllers have a weighted or electronic INERTIA control inside the controller. So, when you apply the brake pedal and the Truck/RV starts to slow down and there is that INERTIA, THEN the required DC voltage is sent from the truck to the RV brakes. Just sitting still and pushing the brake pedal may not activate the DC signal. That is why they have the LEVERS or SLIDE button on the Brake control. That is how you activate when not moving. They will also activate when moving, without hitting the Brake Pedal. Doug

Johnny G1

Clearwater, British Columbia ,Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/20 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not all controller's work that way, mine will work standing still or moving, check the brakes with the controller only before I pull away.

98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 28' 5th wheel Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> No trailer brakes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.