RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: More water needed....

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> More water needed....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
garyhaupt

Penticton, BC..land of wine, sun, retirees....

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/20 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We boondock exclusively. I have a 30 gallon on-board tank and a long haired red-headed she devil that seems to feel that a hair wash every 4 days is critical to my survival. I mean...really?

So, anyway..we have struggled along the past 10? years but she is tired of the water nazi and I am tired of the whining....so, how to accommodate.

I thought maybe an underneath tank..and I could, but it would be 16 gallons. Not enough for the effort. I think I have found an answer..but I am looking for holes in the plan...

A 100 liter/30 gallon or 50, pillow water bladder on the roof. It will be about 1 lb a gallon. I have the space, I have the place...I have 4 anchor points. It would only be in use when we were going were off into the weeds. Otherwise, all folded up, neat n tidy. The valves are not an issue, it seems. A ball valve most likely, but perhaps two..one in, one out. Yes, the type that is potable water safe. I would glue a piece of rubber roofing..a patch? onto the existing roof to prevent wear. I will need a telescoping ladder...a good one...to allow me to get up, anchor...and so on.

If this is the right plan..it doubles my 'docking' time.

What say...?

">][image]

Gary Haupt

I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/20 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How do you figure water weighing 1# per gallon? Last time I looked it was 8.4# per gallon... What am I missing here? [emoticon]

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/20 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is an motor home designed to carry 252# (30gal) directly on the roof structure with the bouncing that can/will occur while driving? Shouldn’t that load be carried on a roof rack attached to the roof above the walls where there is more structural strength?

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/20 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Desert Captain wrote:

How do you figure water weighing 1# per gallon? Last time I looked it was 8.4# per gallon... What am I missing here? [emoticon]

that was my thought, too. i think it's a no-go but check with the mfg to see how much weight your roof can support.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/20 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Desert Captain wrote:

x2, using metric at standard temperature and pressure, a kilogram per liter right?

would not want that weight on my roof, even stationary. plus it's going to get gross pretty quick getting cooked by the Sun.

How about a tank on a front hitch cargo basket? or a bladder I guess?

* This post was edited 07/28/20 01:54pm by GordonThree *

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/20 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You would be adding a lot of weight to the roof as stated, but also when turning the weight will shift to one side. This will make you top heavy and prone to tipping. Especially at like 50 gallons.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/20 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are going to carry any significant amount of water, it needs to be down low and as far forward as feasible.

I think washing hair every 4 days is a long way from excessive. The issue is probably the amount of water needed for rinsing. When my wife had long hair and we tried to conserve water, she put her head down in the sink and I used the sink sprayer on low to rinse her hair.

My other thought would be, how long is 30 gal going to last anyway? With navy type showers and serious water conservation, my wife and I go through about 5 gal per day for drinking, washing, washing dishes, etc. That is 6 days maximum and in warm Summer temps we are likely to be more like 5 days. Worst case, we can skimp on the showers, use paper plates, and I have a couple of 5 gal jugs. Maybe we could push past 10 days but that would be difficult.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/20 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A little 4x8 trailer with a couple of 55 gallon drums or possibly something like an Idaho Tote with your water tank.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/20 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe the OP is talking about the weight of the bladder? I think 30 pounds for a heavy duty 30 gallon bladder would seem about right.

Here's a post from a few weeks ago about putting a Water Tank on an RV Roof.

* This post was edited 07/28/20 02:31pm by gbopp *

lampooner

South Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/20 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A couple of thoughts, back in the 70's I mounted a water tank in space under bench seat on one side of dinette. Another idea since you will only need while boondocking, how about a rack with tank that plugs into a trailer hitch receiver on back of motorhome. Minimize time weight is in tank. Fill it last chance before getting to camping area and use it first.

Lampooner

Remember you are only young once,
but you can be immature forever!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> More water needed....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.