RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How to increase water flow AFTER the filters?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How to increase water flow AFTER the filters?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/20 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thoughts:

- I use a filter system at the house and at the cabin. No RV, but both locations have iron / smell issues.
- Carbon filter helps, but to eliminate the iron and the smell, I had to have a carbon filter upstream and the last downstream filter was an "RFFE" filter, the filter people simply called it an "iron filter".
- Recognizing that I don't use it on an RV, I'd suggest: a) taking out each filter in sequence and seeing how the water flow is affected; b) going with a 5 micron carbon filter as the upstream filter, an iron filter as the 2nd "midstream" filter and ditching the "metal trap canister"....although I'll admit to not knowing what that is, on both my house and cabin systems, I only have the two filters. If there was a "simple system" you used previously, try putting an iron filter as the downstream filter in that and see how it works out.

You've got a flow issue, so I'd also check the filter housings for physical impediments or a clogged orifice.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/20 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

darleyhavidson wrote:

rk911 wrote:

the 5-micron filter should allow more water to flow. one other thought...is the battey powering the pump fully charged? but i bet the larger filter will show an improvement in flow. but whether it meets your needs in terms of water quality is unknown.

My water source is from the campground well water system that supplies all camp sites. I connect the water hose to the "City Water" port on my RV and do not use the onboard water pump that pumps water from potable water holding tank.

I will try the bigger micron filter and see what happens...

ok, good. when you wrote "well" i ass-umed you were actually drawing from a well using a 12v exterior pump.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

darleyhavidson

North Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/20 03:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PA12DRVR wrote:

Thoughts:

- I use a filter system at the house and at the cabin. No RV, but both locations have iron / smell issues.
- Carbon filter helps, but to eliminate the iron and the smell, I had to have a carbon filter upstream and the last downstream filter was an "RFFE" filter, the filter people simply called it an "iron filter".
- Recognizing that I don't use it on an RV, I'd suggest: a) taking out each filter in sequence and seeing how the water flow is affected; b) going with a 5 micron carbon filter as the upstream filter, an iron filter as the 2nd "midstream" filter and ditching the "metal trap canister"....although I'll admit to not knowing what that is, on both my house and cabin systems, I only have the two filters. If there was a "simple system" you used previously, try putting an iron filter as the downstream filter in that and see how it works out.

You've got a flow issue, so I'd also check the filter housings for physical impediments or a clogged orifice.

Thanks for the feedback. Your option "A" idea makes a lot of practical sense. Hopefully, it is something simple.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/20 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a .5 micron carbon filter from the water filter store, in my single, but whole house filter system. My water pressure is the same with or without the filter installed (great pressure), using city hookup, or water pump.

I don't think going to a 5 micron filter is going to help.

Jerry

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/20 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The link holds 60 gallons. but you can get smaller ones (And larger ones) Camping world has some listed as well assorted sizes For you I would choose 15 or 30 with transfer pump

Water Bladder

Small storage space needed Also a towed to haul it

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/20 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, troubleshoot the system by removing one canister at a time and checking the pressure/flow after each removal.

Second, if you can't isolate the trouble by removing individual filters, then use a different strategy. Fill your water tank, turn off the external water source, and use your water pump to pump water from your tank. The pressure should be much better.

2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP
Full Timer since May 2013
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/20 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used two filters in parallel to get double the flow rate.
bumpy

azrving

Oatman

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/20 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dont confuse pressure with volume as you trouble shoot. If your pressure at the source is good then you have a flow/volume issue. Trouble shoot with a process of elimination. If you were to put a pressure gauge on the outlet side of the filters or at the faucet you should see the pressure as the same as at the source. When you open the faucet and the flow slows its an indication of a volume issue. .5 seems pretty small but as mentioned others have used them. Pressure is created at the pump and builds when you shut off the faucet. Again, volume and pressure are two different things. You say increase the pressure after the filters which you might think could be solved with an additional pump after the filter but it doesn’t work that way. You would then be restricting the intake flow to the pump. Some pumps are damaged by low intake flow because they can have cavitation

* This post was edited 07/28/20 05:50pm by azrving *

azrving

Oatman

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/20 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here’s another idea. I originally had a weeping toilet valve issue which I figured was a spec of sand or dirt in the valve seat. That’s when I installed two Home Depot GE filters. One is sort of a woven cloth and the other is carbon and I’ve had no more toilet issues. We then bought a Berkey Traveler water filter set up. Its a little smaller than the regular model and serves two people well. The two primary filters last a long time and two additional filters can be used to take out much smaller stuff. You could still use whatever part of your filter system that would take the grit and other stuff out. The Berkey is a very good filter

The Berkey can sit near the edge of the counter or they sell an optional chrome steel stand to set it on so its high enough to fill a cup or whatever

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/20 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you flush the fines from each filter before connecting the next one in the series?
I have not run three but have run two in series. Perhaps and only perhaps this is contributing to partial blockage or restriction. On thing I have doe in fill the tank when pressure is low then use from the tank. Our last water pump would kick in when it was on and water pressure from the outside source was low and bring pressure up. This new identical pump not quite the same even though rated at 55 psi. Does your coach have its own pressure requlator somewhere set to 45psi?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How to increase water flow AFTER the filters?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.