RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Transporting Raft from Campsite to Launch Ramp?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Transporting Raft from Campsite to Launch Ramp?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ZINGERLITE

Union Lake, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/20 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FlatBroke wrote:

[image]

[image]
Fold up wheels. Pick up the bow and pull it to the water and after it launched you flip them up and Be on your way. Works well.

I wonder if you could rig something up to tow that. like the waste totes. doesn't have to be a trailer hitch but some sort of loop to put over the ball.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/20 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are talking a 2-4hp outboard, consider a roll up or inflatable floor model. You aren't going to get on plane anyway, so the advantage of a RIB (and the weight that comes with it) goes away. You can find these in the under 100lb range, so getting it up on the truck cap is likely more viable.

If the cap has a ladder rack, you could probably set up a simple platform that could lean against the back of the truck and then winch up onto the cap rather than lifting. It would take a little bit of fabrication but shouldn't be too hard.

If you are just looking at getting from the campsite to the launch within the campground (ie: topping out at 5-10mph), the wheels that attach the transom are quite viable and wouldn't be hard to make up a set yourself.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Baja Man

Inland Empire, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/20 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

Could something like this be modofied to pull to a ramp? Jet ski dolly

Check the different types of dollies on the web, some get pricey but some seem pretty reasonable.

There are some great ideas I am considering after looking at the jet ski trolleys.....many possibilities....?

2003 Ford F-350 XLT Super Duty, Crew Cab, V10 (6.8L); 4X2; Standard Bed; SRW; 4R100 trans
2009 Thor-MVP RV- Tahoe 284SA

Baja Man

Inland Empire, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/20 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lakeland Bob wrote:

Have you considered one of these, http://www.4boysmfg.com/? If you already have the boat it would save money from buying another.

yes; my buddy just gave one away! I don't need anything that sophisticated.....I'm trying to keep it simple

Baja Man

Inland Empire, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/20 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ut
Grit dog wrote:

One of them Horrible Freight 4x8 folding trailers would do the trick. Store it in your toyhauler.

It would work, but but I'd like something lighter and simpler....that can be folded up and stored in back up my truck

Baja Man

Inland Empire, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/20 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Son of Norway wrote:

Back when I was young and strong I used to take people on whitewater raft trips. I had a 12' bucket boat and a 16' self-bailer that I transported on a trailer. I got the boats to the water by giving out a shout. In no time I would have all the hands I needed. Everyone helped each other at the launch sites. 175 lbs. should be no problem even for a long carry.

Not willing to carry.....simple trolley that can be towed with my truck hitch is what I want

Baja Man

Inland Empire, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/20 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ZINGERLITE wrote:

alot of jet ski guys build carts out of pvc pipe. light weight and easy to transport.

[image]

PVC is on my short list f ideas.....
BTW...your posted image can not be viewed

Baja Man

Inland Empire, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/20 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FlatBroke wrote:

[image]

[image]
Fold up wheels. Pick up the bow and pull it to the water and after it launched you flip them up and Be on your way. Works well.

Do you tow it behind your truck to ramp? I would be concerned about boat transom with all the bouncing.

I would like trolley to be able to:

-towed behind my truck
-quickly and easily be able to deconstruct/construct
-light weight

Baja Man

Inland Empire, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/20 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FlatBroke wrote:

[image]

[image]

How do you like your Saturn?
Is your use similar to my intended uses?
Any suggestions, advice on purchasing a Saturn?
Considering the FB365....
Saturn FB 365

Elk_traveler

maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/20 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have similar interest in fishing. Unless we're on a sightseeing mission we camp primarily in state parks and primarily those that offer good fishing. I am an avid hunter for good large mouth bass fishing. Just enjoy the sport because I am only interested in catch and release as a sport. My RV is now a Class C and car in tow. I have a small porta bote which I carry on top of toad and initially had same problem as you in how to get the boat once set up down to the river or lake. I solved this by purchasing a small trailer manufactured by Trailex.com. I have the model SUT-300 all aluminum and can be fully assembled in some 15 minutes. Basically two tires, axle, tongue in two pieces. Very simple I think the SUT-300 can carry up to 300 lbs. It is strictly for off road use. As long as I stay within the Park limits there is no issue in towing the boat down to the launch ramp. Trailex.com makes many different style trailers which you can see on their website. Once at campsite I assemble the porta-bote and the trailer and go back and forth fishing until we are ready to leave. I think the total weight for me on the trailer is only perhaps 150 lbs once I have loaded everything I will need when out on the water. I have been using the Trailex trailer for perhaps 8-10 years and its ideal for the life style we like. When we are camping there has to be good fishing nearby.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Transporting Raft from Campsite to Launch Ramp?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.