|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Checking on Wheel Bearing Heat

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
pcm1959

home

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the heat gun because I can shoot it into areas of the hubs and disc brakes that I could not reach with my hand. Most wheels on an RV have a center piece that covers the actual hub. I can also shoot the back side of the assembly. Whatever method you use you are looking for abnormalities.

2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/20 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wheel lug nut toucher at every highway stop here.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/20 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’d be very surprised if the majority of people could get within 20 degrees of the actual temperature when using there hand. The majority of IR guns are very accurate and reliable! They are used in many industrial facilities where they are used on equipment costing hundreds of thousands of $. If they were unreliable or inaccurate....I don’t think that they would be used a tool by plant/industrial employees/operators! I used them for many years monitoring compressor valve temperatures, pipe temperatures, electric motor housing and bearing temperatures. They are considered indispensable by many in the industrial field. It is completely illogical to someone “not” to take advantage of inexpensive technology to save themselves money and aggravation! memtb

Not to mention, when I check my truck rear differential temperature.....I don’t have to crawl under the truck! memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/20 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Not to mention, when I check my truck rear differential temperature.....I don’t have to crawl under the truck! memtb"

That's one of the reasons I have one.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

2oldman

Mecca

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/20 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

memtb wrote:

I’d be very surprised if the majority of people could get within 20 degrees of the actual temperature when using there hand.
It's not the actual temperature they're after when using their hands, it's whether the warmth feels all about the same.

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/20 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

memtb wrote:

I’d be very surprised if the majority of people could get within 20 degrees of the actual temperature when using there hand.
It's not the actual temperature they're after when using their hands, it's whether the warmth feels all about the same.

Since I have one it's hard to argue the benefits one might argue by not having one. But, mine takes pictures and allows you to see where the heat is. I can tell you from experience, that the tire heat is on the tread, but the bearing heat is not on an area you can touch from the outside of the tire or hub, it's on the inside. You can't touch that area and some bearings can be over 200 degrees. Good luck with your hand. Also, heat is relative, so you are looking for all to be about the same, not an absolute number. In addition, a failed brake has no heat. You're not going to feel that with your hand.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/20 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

memtb wrote:

I’ll buy that to a point! But, I want to know the temperature differential between tires/hubs/ brake drums(if applicable) for each side of the unit.....example , all should be similar on the same side of the unit. Yes....anyone can determine “if” one component is significantly hotter than it’s counterparts...But, by that time it’s likely too likely too late for preventive maintenance!

An example being.... with the IR gun I can determine not only if one component is “warmer” than it’s counterparts.... but determine within a degree or two, the difference from side to side of the unit, caused by loading, road crown, sunlight exposure, etc.! Maybe I am “overreacting” to the importance of this little tool.....but, I’m forming an intense displeasure for roadside or campground work performed in single digit or triple digit temperatures! If this can save me a tire, bearing/hub failure, a dragging brake, or as mentioned a failing truck differential.....it’s a monetary win and some piece of mind! memtb

* This post was edited 08/01/20 10:15am by memtb *

2oldman

Mecca

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/20 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My TPMS will show me that the wheels on the sunny side will be 10° warmer than the other. Now, whether bearing heat will show at the edge of the rim.. I don't know.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/20 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

My TPMS will show me that the wheels on the sunny side will be 10° warmer than the other. Now, whether bearing heat will show at the edge of the rim.. I don't know.

2oldman, the TPSS system is great......but, the IR gun, is just another tool in your arsenal! memtb

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/20 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thermoguy wrote:

2oldman wrote:

memtb wrote:

Since I have one it's hard to argue the benefits one might argue by not having one. But, mine takes pictures and allows you to see where the heat is. I can tell you from experience, that the tire heat is on the tread, but the bearing heat is not on an area you can touch from the outside of the tire or hub, it's on the inside. You can't touch that area and some bearings can be over 200 degrees. Good luck with your hand. Also, heat is relative, so you are looking for all to be about the same, not an absolute number. In addition, a failed brake has no heat. You're not going to feel that with your hand.

thats not true, if you put your hand on the centre hub cover you will feel if the brakes or berrings are running hot. if it warm your good, if you pull your hand back you may have an issue. you said your self it is over 200 degrees, its all metal and the hub cover will give a bit of air space so you dont instantly melt skin. now you wont know if it is brakes or a berring with out a little more investagation but your not trying to do that on a quick stop, just checking to make sure tires and centre hubs are running at simular temps, this tells you everything is good. if I feel a hot one I will start looking deeper which may mean gettin gout my gun and trying to find the hotest part of the hub from the back.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Checking on Wheel Bearing Heat
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.