|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Checking on Wheel Bearing Heat

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/20 11:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The type of keepers on my axles don't always allow me to lock the nut exactly where I want it and I had to lock one nut a little tighter than the others. Sure as heck, that one was 118 and the other three were 114, when I checked them. My back likes the IR gun, I don't need to bend over as far! BTW, I didn't buy an IR gun til long after I retired from 45 years of hvacr work... There were too many places that the IR was impractical and strapped on TCs worked way better, plus I didn't trust the IR guns. Craig

lenr

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/20 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I, too, use an IR gun and TST. I look for inconsistency in temperatures. Even when one side is warmer from sun or load, those two tires/wheels should be close, or they will need closer monitoring/inspection.

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/20 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

UUUUUUH, back to the OP.

I would suspect brake adjustment issues.

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/20 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edd505 wrote:

Commercial drivers at thought to hold you hand at the hub and if you can touch them your good to go. Those guys drive 10-12 thousand miles a MONTH so if it's OK for them why all the heat guns stuff? Most RVs are weekenders and a couple weeks vacation way less than a week on a commercial truck.

I set up a system for a local DOT that "looked" at the temperature of truck wheel hubs as they went through the weigh station. Any guess on how many had no heat on them at all? Probably not much of an issue on an RV, but many truckers have failed trailer brakes where one hub or two have no heat on them at all. Looking for heat is a good way to find overheated but also failed and no heat.

By the way, the truck drivers were very happy to get pulled over for failing trailer brakes. They didn't want to go down the road with brake issues. Often they don't own the trailer. The reason the DOT started the program was because lots of truck drivers rely on their trailer brakes to slow them down, taking stress off the truck brakes.

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/20 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On another forum a man said not to let them use the IR thermometers on your forehead when entering a business as they are removing your memory . His wife sent him to the store for bread and eggs , he came out with ice cream and a snickers .

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/20 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingbob wrote:

On another forum a man said not to let them use the IR thermometers on your forehead when entering a business as they are removing your memory . His wife sent him to the store for bread and eggs , he came out with ice cream and a snickers .

He did ok in my book!

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/20 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thermoguy wrote:

Edd505 wrote:

Commercial drivers at thought to hold you hand at the hub and if you can touch them your good to go. Those guys drive 10-12 thousand miles a MONTH so if it's OK for them why all the heat guns stuff? Most RVs are weekenders and a couple weeks vacation way less than a week on a commercial truck.

I set up a system for a local DOT that "looked" at the temperature of truck wheel hubs as they went through the weigh station. Any guess on how many had no heat on them at all? Probably not much of an issue on an RV, but many truckers have failed trailer brakes where one hub or two have no heat on them at all. Looking for heat is a good way to find overheated but also failed and no heat.

By the way, the truck drivers were very happy to get pulled over for failing trailer brakes. They didn't want to go down the road with brake issues. Often they don't own the trailer. The reason the DOT started the program was because lots of truck drivers rely on their trailer brakes to slow them down, taking stress off the truck brakes.

Technology has really advanced, was that the Fife scale? I was O/O leased to a large company so watched equipment closely as time is money. Company drivers, well that's another story. But we digress PM on this, been off the road a few years.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/20 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edd505 wrote:

Thermoguy wrote:

Edd505 wrote:

Technology has really advanced, was that the Fife scale? I was O/O leased to a large company so watched equipment closely as time is money. Company drivers, well that's another story. But we digress PM on this, been off the road a few years.

We did some work at the Fife scale, but they actually did the final install at the Dupont scale.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I check the hub and tire temp when ever I pull over during a trip. I dont use my heat gun, just my hand.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/20 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

I check the hub and tire temp when ever I pull over during a trip. I dont use my heat gun, just my hand.

Steve

Im woth you , i feel the hubs and tires. Heat guns aee good but they aren't perfect eaither. Plus i dont need batteries.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Checking on Wheel Bearing Heat
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.