|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> rockies or smokey's

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/20 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm always in manual mode in the mountains.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2016 RZR 900

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/20 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I prefer to let the transmission do the downshift. I believe this is better for the transmission with less wear and tear for the driveline. If you just pull the lever sure it will just shift immediately and on my truck it can be a bit harsh at higher rpm and near full throttle. If I let the computer decide then the shift is much smoother.

However once the downshift is made I do tend to pull the lever and hold the gear to the top to avoid unneeded hunting up and down causing more wear.

For a fairly long and steady hill I will often set the cruise to a certain RPM (3500 maybe) and let it run to the top with transmission held.

Ok mine is an old 4 speed. For those with 6, 8, 10 speeds it might be just as easy to set the cruise and let it do its thing in automatic. Just let it run unless it starts to hunt then pull the lever at the next downshift. OK to reduce the CC speed a bit on a longer sustained climb. Don't make a race out of it and you will be fine.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/20 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garyp4951 wrote:

I never use cruise towing in the mountains, and wonder why some do. I'm in no hurry, and its also hard on the power train.

Not so in the newer diesels with the exhaust brakes. The ECM/TCM will hold the set speed & downshift as necessary & the CM's will not let the motor self destruct. As posted tap the brakes on occasion to slow & hit resume.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

thomas201

Eastern Panhandle WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/20 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like cruise and use it a lot. But, it is a dumb robot and it cannot think ahead. On secondary roads, that are twisty turny, that I have driven for years, I know what is coming next. Why let cruise top a mountain at 55, just so I can stand on the brakes for the 25 mph turn on the far side? Those big, long multi mile grades out west, cruise is great. Appropriate Technology for the task at hand. Now, if cruise could be slaved to GPS, and interpolate elevation change, and the customer could do a little programing, yes, then we could almost use it all the time. Might as well get self driving too!!!

mleekamp

Washington, IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/20 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PUt it in TOW MODE (usually on the end of your shift lever)...let the truck do the rest. No Cruise over mountains.

The TOW MODE will do engine/trans braking going down hills, and keeps it out of OD, and keeps gears longer...better towing experience, IMHO, over mountains.

2019 Jayco Redhawk 29XK Class C, Ford V10 E450 with Roadmaster Hitch Mounted Spare Tire holder, Bigfoot Hydraulic Leveling

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/20 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edd505 wrote:

garyp4951 wrote:

I never use cruise towing in the mountains, and wonder why some do. I'm in no hurry, and its also hard on the power train.

Not so in the newer diesels with the exhaust brakes. The ECM/TCM will hold the set speed & downshift as necessary & the CM's will not let the motor self destruct. As posted tap the brakes on occasion to slow & hit resume.

Sorry I should have said going uphill, and I always use tow haul with full exhaust brake.

gtnsmlr

Camarillo, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/20 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Auto pilots can't surf and cruise control can't climb hills...

The older we get, the faster we go

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/20 05:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After 35 years of driving nothing but manual shift vehicles I guess that I am set in my ways. I like having control & seldom use cruise control except on light traffic flat highways.

Cruise control can't see a grade coming up ahead & speed up a little to get over it in top gear. Cruise control downshifts to a much lower gear on long downgrades resulting in a screaming engine as it tries to maintain set speed.

I prefer to put it in manual mode & control which gear is used myself for the downgrades. Let it get up to 2600rpm or so, a short burst of heavy braking to knock speed & RPM back down, let it build again, repeat. Shift back to auto tow mode near the bottom of grade.

I imagine the newer trucks are even smarter than my 06 but going uphill a little twitch of the foot will make it downshift sooner than it will on it's own.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/20 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I turn on the cruise control when ever I am towing on the highway. in the big mountians I use the tow haul but the rest just normal as all the tow haul in my ford does is hold shift points a little higher, all the other features of speed holding down hills and such work with the tow haul off.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

Splashers3

Oakville, MD

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/20 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of you will get a chuckle out of this, but I NEVER use my truck's cruise control when towing.....NEVER.

2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> rockies or smokey's
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.