|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> "Old Tires"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Bluedog

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/20 04:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The subject of when to replace trailer tires has been hashed over many times but there is always something new.

My tires were 8 years old and felt that according to the experts they were at the stage to replace. I had tire trouble once and as you probably know it is no fun.

The guy that did the work told me that the tires were in good shape with no cracks,etc., and could go another 10,000 miles. Said he has seen tires 20 years old and still running.

He may be right. Then again, he may be wrong.I would rather not take the chance.

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/20 04:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The “guy” is offering foolish advice. BYW I have a friend who plays four rounds of Russian roulette every night. No issues in the last ten years but I’m not going to try it.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/20 04:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How well did you sleep last night?
How well would it have been knowing you were travelling with the old tires?
What value do you place on the difference?

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/20 05:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It depends on the trailer what I'm going to say
When I got my first Trailer my daughter was still in diapers (it was a Popup) one of the tires was a 16 ply I think and tossed the tread (must have been a re-cap) I kept it as a spare and the last time I used it .. My daughter had graduated college with a Bachelor's in Music and another in Education.

That was a very lightweight trailer and on one occasion (the last time I used the spare in fact) the tire blew and I did not even know it... The trailer towed the same with the flat.

I did not worry so much with that one.

With my Class A.... I WORRY.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

dedmiston

So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/20 05:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't like that advice at all.

Taking chances with tires is foolish and it puts everyone on the road at risk.

I wouldn't gamble like that.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/20 05:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have suffered blow-outs on my TT, no fun. Most recent blow out was a tire that threw its tread, supposedly NOT a recap, but it was 6 years old. I had no issues with directional instability when they blew, but it is not anything like fun replacing a blown/flat tire when you are miles away from home and have no idea where to get a new one that won't let you down as soon as you get out of sight of the seller.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/20 06:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not saying the guy is right, but he probably has seen 20 year old tires still going. But that doesn't mean it's a good idea to run them that old. He might also have beet thinking about truck tires. While still not advisable to run that long. They definitely seem to be built a lot tougher than trailer tires.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/20 07:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got 10 years out of my last set of TT tires. That was really pushing it. Change them now and have more peace of mind.

ZINGERLITE

Union Lake, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/20 06:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think there's some "weight" in tire care. Keep them properly inflated, keep the sun off of them. inspect for cracks regularly ect. I wouldn't think you'd need to replace them every 3 years. if your regularly going on long trips it may be a good piece of mind but how necessary is it to replace them just due to age? i feel like alot of blowouts are due to under inflation or ignored warning signs of fatigue.

This topic is almost as controversial as the truck/towing capacity debates.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/20 06:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nonsense. Your tire guy might have enough knowledge to change tires but he has no understanding of the issue with tires ageing.

I almost learned about this the hard way. I had a spare that had been under my pickup truck since I bought the truck 4 years prior. I decided to put that tire into rotation so I bought a new tire to go with it and had them installed on the rear axle. My tire "guy" at Sears was happy to do the work and to sell me one new tire. My truck and camper sat in the driveway for a couple weeks and I was about to take off on a cross country trip. With just the weight of the truck camper on the tire, it developed cracks everywhere which had not been visible when it was installed a few weeks before. I had to buy a new tire and discard a 4 year old tire that had never been used and had not even been exposed to sunlight.

I did some google research and found that tires deteriorate rapidly when not in use. They need to be run so that chemicals in the rubber can work towards the surface and protect from oxidation; i.e., dry rot. An unused tire can deteriorate much faster than one in use.

Tires on a passenger car in regular use can easily last roughly 8 years or so depending on wear. An RV tire is often used only infrequently and replacement needs to be considered at more like 4 years. If you use your RV a lot, the tires are likely to wear out by 4 years. If not, they might have lost strength due to oxidation even if the loss is not visible.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> "Old Tires"
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.