RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Minimum gate opening width needed for TT parking........

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Minimum gate opening width needed for TT parking........

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Fifty7Coupe

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/20 03:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi

My name is Jim and I'm new to the forum : )

My wife and I are interested in purchasing our first travel trailer. That said, I would really like to be able to store it at my house. I'm on over a 1/4 lot and have "RV side access" but the problem is that my lot is pie shaped and is narrow in the front. I have what looks like about 9 1/2 ft. from one side of my RV gate to the eave of the house. What are your opinions on this? Doable? What are your experiences? FYI it is a straight shot through the gate, no obstructions etc

Once inside the gate I'm good as my back yard really opens up..... heck i could probably fit 3 or 4 trailers back there its just a matter of getting through the opening in the gate.

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated!

JiM

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/20 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think a TT would pose a problem. now a large class A with mirrors sticking out two feet per side is different.
bumpy

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/20 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most Travel Trailers are 8 feet wide, how well it will pass the house is a question of how straight your path is. If the trailer is not to be a large one, there are some 7' and 7'6" wide models as well in units less than 25' long.
If you are really concerned with fitting one by there, you could rent a u haul 6x12 trailer for a day, the actual length is about 17' by a total of about 7' wide.

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/20 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Minimum width is the width of your trailer... likely 8'.

9.5' is pretty tight, but doable if you are capable of backing up a trailer. Is your trailer as tall as the eave of the house? If not, you'll have even more room. My suggestion is to actually measure, not assume, your dimensions. Find out if you need to worry about the eave due to trailer height, or if you are under your eave. Find out exactly how wide it is and them determine if you are comfortable with your backing ability. I've been towing a travel trailer for a decade, so I'm fairly comfortable backing into a tight space (provided I have good vision by mirror or a trusted companion to help while I back up).

Your results may vary.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/20 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if you're not comfortable or experienced in backing a trailer, is it possible to widen the gate ? Or do you even have room for that?

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/20 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My old house was 12', and it felt tight! I suppose 9.5' is doable, but there's not much wiggle room. Use a spotter or three at first, then mark with paint where the tires need to be at various points for future reference.

2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/20 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go slow and only small corrections when stearing. Ill agree the size of the opening depends on how good you are at driving. I have a large double gate for mine, and im not a bad driver. My problem is the entrey is off set and not straight. So you have to back up and can not see where the tralor is going. For something like this you need a larger opening.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/20 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good advice above. Don't assume anything - drop a weighted string from the eave and measure the actual distance. Can the gate be moved? Can the eave be cut back? Gutters if any in that area removed?

Good idea to rent a traier. Clamp a 10' 2x4 vertical to the side and make sure you have the clearance.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/20 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At eight feet wide plus four or fives inches for the awning etc. it is doable. Slow, careful and with a good spotter.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/20 05:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're worried, you could get a Scamp or a Casita. They're only 6'8" wide.

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjamin Franklin
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Minimum gate opening width needed for TT parking........
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.