RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Pulling more than 50 amps ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Pulling more than 50 amps ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 04:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Assuming he meant 50amps @ 120v...sure.

And since it's very rare for an RV to have 240v devices, the assumption of 120v is reasonable and yes, the big units can certainly be pulling more than 50 amps:
- 3 Air/con at 15amp each is 45amp
- Fridge maybe another 4-5 amp
- Water heater another 10 amp
- Battery charger another 10amp
- TV another 1 amp
- Microwave 7-10amp
- Ceiling fan another 4 amp
- RV Dryer 15amp(?)

If you have all these going simultaneously, that's somewhere around 100amps @ 120v...in reality, he probably has a load shedding device kicking in at this point as he bumps up against the peak draw.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

hypoxia

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/20 04:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can easily exceed 50 amps 240 VAC with 3 A/C units, AquaHot with a 2000 watt element on each leg, microwave, fry pan, hair dryer, 240 VAC dryer, instahot, etc. I have to watch it closely when DW gets busy.

Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 05:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TechWriter wrote:

Our park electrician says that some of the big rigs with 3 ACs and electric everything can sometimes draw more than 50A from a 50A pedestal.

Truth or BS?

There are several possible responses to this.
1: Political and thus no further mention
2: YES. for a tiny fraction of a second as the A/C starts But then so do smaller units.. (The starting surge can push it over 50 amps but if it stays there for long TRIP goes the breaker)
3: YES. sort of but not really 50 amps is 50 amps at 240 volt divided. (Kitchen term)( meaning two legs of 50 amps. NOW some people think of this as "100 amps" but it's not it's 50 amps.. I do not want to get into the reason I say this before breakfast but basically if perfectly balanced every amp is used twice (The neutral wire carries the DIFFERENCE between L-1 and L-2) so no more than 50 amp flows in any wire. If you draw more than 50. CLICK goes the breaker.

4: If you draw more than 50 CLICK goes the breaker so the Park Electrician was LYING to you and that is the best and final answer.

I had that happen in one RV park the manager claimed to be an electrician and told me the problem and the reason the breaker on my site needed replacement was because of those big rigs pulling more than 30 amps.... it was the 50 amp breakers that failed.

I out rank him on electrical/electronics stuff (Certified electronics technician, even if I don't work in that field anymore)

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fcooper wrote:

100 amps available....50 amps per leg x 2 legs...so answer is yes

100 amps available never came out of the mouth of a true electrician.

It would require a very precise balanced load. If one leg goes over 50 amps the breaker will trip. Period.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Three? Each is maybe 16 max so even 4 would pull only 32 per side max.
Licensed electrician or handy man?

He is referring to total load of an RV with 3 A/C's. Not the load of 3 A/C's[emoticon]

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/20 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cavie wrote:

fcooper wrote:

100 amps available....50 amps per leg x 2 legs...so answer is yes

100 amps available never came out of the mouth of a true electrician.

It would require a very precise balanced load. If one leg goes over 50 amps the breaker will trip. Period.

True. However, if L1 is providing 50 amps to its appliances, and L2 is providing 50 amps to its appliances, add up how many amps the appliances are using.

The 100 amps figure is an analogy to get the idea across to someone who knows nothing about electricity. No one ever claimed that it was a technical description of exactly what is going on.

As a Pharmacist, people ask me how aspirin prevents heart attacks. I tell them that some heart attacks are caused by platelets sticking together forming a clot that obstructs blood flow in the small vessels of the heart. (That is what platelets do, to clot off after a cut.) Without blood flow, the tissue dies. The aspirin greases the platelets so they can't stick together nearly as easily. That is an analogy. Aspirin does not cause grease to coat the platelets, but the patient gets the idea that the platelets don't clump up and block blood flow.

The 100 amp statement is an analogy that Joe Blow can grasp.

* This post was edited 07/31/20 07:21am by Bobbo *

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mont G&J wrote:

Park electrician is correct.

Park Electrician is a ignorant idiot. 50 amp service is 100 amps TOTAL supply. 50 amp service on EACH LEG. Doug

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now, this discussion points to a BIG problem with older Campgrounds. The Idiot Electrician may be at a CG that is "wired" for what they call 50 amp service. They have just 1(one) 50 amp breaker split between the 2 HOT leads on the 50 amp cord. Technically, I guess, you could call that 50 amp service, but it is NOT as it relates to a 50 amp RV. I call this CHEATED 50 AMP SERVICE. You are charged for 50 amp but they are NOT giving you TRUE 50 amp service. I find this fraud and dishonest. If you have a EMS system on your RV, that system will tell you when you are on CHEATED 50 amp service. It will see that LACK of out of Phase leads and only allow the Rv'er to utilize 30 amps of that 50 amp service. This is what confuses RV'ers. They plug into a 4 prong supposed 50 amp plug and they cannot run all their 120 appliances because the EMS system locks them out. So they think their EMS system is bad. ALL RV'ers should have a digital multitester. If you do not have double the line voltage between the 2 hot legs, you are NOT on 50 amp service. Very simple and needs to be done at every park you go to. Doug

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TechWriter wrote:

Our park electrician says that some of the big rigs with 3 ACs and electric everything can sometimes draw more than 50A from a 50A pedestal.

Truth or BS?

I read this again. It is worded POORLY. The answer is, YES, THEY CAN DRAW MORE THAN 50 AMPS. But, the 50 amp pedestal handles a TOTAL of 100 amps. Doug

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BTW, I would keep that Idiot away from my Campsite and RV. Doug

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Pulling more than 50 amps ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.