RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What is your long term Dicor plan?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> What is your long term Dicor plan?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/20 09:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our camper is 2 years old. I check the roof on average 3 or 4 times per year and wash it twice. Each time I touch up questionable spots all over the roof. Today I added quite a bit along the front seal where the roof meets the front cap.

My question is, when (if ever) do you, or have you decided you have put on enough, it's time to pull it all off and start fresh? I feel like continuing to add cant be a great idea long term. Our previous camper which we had for nearly 15 years we had Eterna bond, but I am not interested in using that at this point on this trailer. Anyway, do you all just keep adding or do you eventually somehow remove the old and reseal the entire roof or sections?

Thanks

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/20 09:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If its comming off and dry remove it and start over if not clean it with mimiral spirets and re apply.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/20 09:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My camper was a couple of years old when I bought it. There were only a couple of problem areas and I replaced the sealant in those areas. Over the past 10 years I have mostly just added extra sealant in high risk areas. I would think a thorough inspection would give you an idea of what is needed. I have repeatedly checked every square inch of my camper. I have added additional sealant almost everywhere.

Under ideal circumstances, dicor should last for decades. The bigger issue is usually poor design or poor construction. Joints can flex and open up on a poorly made RV.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/20 10:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have cut back and or removed and resealed when the time came. It all depends on the area you are doing.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 04:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your camper is only two years old, I am surprised it already needs dicor.
When you wash it, I hope you put the preservative on afterwards

Guy

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 05:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you considered using Eternabond where possible?

edatlanta

Jennings Ferry Campground-Camp Host, Akron, AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/20 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Dicor plan which I formulated 5 years ago was to never ever purchase or use any Dicor. I installed This on my roof after my rubber roof membrane started failing at 5 years of age. All Dicor was covered up as well.

Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 06:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all!

And to address the do I need it after 2 years.... Possibly not. But if I see something that even resembles a crack I touch it up. Along the front seam it seemed to be showing signs of some hairline cracks so I just ran a new bead across. Seems like there is always a small spot here or there that looks like it might start cracking so I have just been adding from time to time. I probably overuse it which is what prompted my question. I had serious water damage in a previous camper and it destroyed the camper so I am a bit over cautious I suppose.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/20 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is not possible to be over cautious. One pinhole can result in massive damage. Go over every square inch. Then do as you have been doing. If the suspect area has well adhered sealant, clean the area thoroughly and then touch it up. As you mentioned the front seal is one of the areas of concern. I have touched mine up several times entirely across the RV. I probably have the better part of a full tube of dicor in that location. The excess does no harm and gives me piece of mind.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can overdo adding sealant on sealant. After a period of time you have made small dams that retains water. Thats not good.
My '97 32' 5th wheel trailer still has the OEM sealant in most places. I check the sealants in the spring just before first trip...then when the trailers put up for the winter.
I have no idea what sealant brand the factory uses in '97 but whats left is still pliable.

I look for cracked sealant and just fill it with Dicor.

The only places that the OEM sealant started lifting was around the useless ski lite and the front cap/roof joint. I pulled all that would come off and added Dicor to those spots with it in mind not to create a pond.

The unit has never leaked. I've washed the roof twice in all those years. Both times was due to tree sap.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> What is your long term Dicor plan?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.