RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What is your long term Dicor plan?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> What is your long term Dicor plan?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/20 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why are you reluctant to use Eternabond on this RV? It served you well in the past.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/20 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Curious why you don't want to use Eternabond this time around? Your options are pretty much 3-4 times a year touching up Dicor, Eternabond once or brand new roof coating like RV Roof Armor.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup. Eternabond is the solution to the long term Dicor question.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with " you can't be to cautious " as roof leaks are silent killers.

Realize I'm a little overboard but inspect, wash the roof every 2 months and then apply 303 on entire roof and trailer.....yeah I know.

joelc

Cedar Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When ever I replace Dicor is questionable spots I remove as much of the old Dicor as possible and clean the area with alcohol. If you are talking about a large area like the front or rear cap. I would clean the area throughly with alcohol, not removing any area except that in question. Re-apply dicor in that area only. Then take some eternabond tape and run it the length of the cap. Once you do that, apply dicor to the edges.

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

Have you considered using Eternabond where possible?

This was my front and rear cap plan after year 2. I don't have plans to touch those areas again for many years to come.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 2003 Jetcraft 2125 - Yamaha 150 HP & 8 HP Kicker

kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone!

Regarding eternabond it's easy to get mixed reviews. Lots of online reviews of people having water work it's way under and it turns into a mess. My old camper we used it and it started looking ragged around the edges. Not saying it does not work, I just figured I would stay with the standard sealant unless needed. That said, it is tempting to just cover the front and rear seam with eternabond. I just hate seeing some of the pictures of moisture underneath the tape.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback so far! Roof care seems to have a lot of opinions. Only consistent opinion is it needs to be taken care of.

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/20 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Valid concerns. My experience has been that if the roof is properly cleaned, the eternabond isn't stretched as it is applied and it is rolled properly than it is never coming off. I have zero concerns, as I know that mine is installed correctly. I've seen youtube videos of people applying to a dirty roof, stretching it to keep a straight line and not adequately rolling it to activate adhesion.

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/20 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eternabond is my long term Dicor plan as well.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/20 06:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kfp673 wrote:

Thanks everyone!

Regarding eternabond it's easy to get mixed reviews. Lots of online reviews of people having water work it's way under and it turns into a mess. My old camper we used it and it started looking ragged around the edges. Not saying it does not work, I just figured I would stay with the standard sealant unless needed. That said, it is tempting to just cover the front and rear seam with eternabond. I just hate seeing some of the pictures of moisture underneath the tape.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback so far! Roof care seems to have a lot of opinions. Only consistent opinion is it needs to be taken care of.

Yeah those issues plus resale value and messing up any new trailer roof warranty as some have found out.
The wife and I looked at a three year old King of the Road 5th wheel trailer. Just what we wanted in a floor plan and had been used 5-6 times. Years back I had a part time mobilehome/rv repair business specializing in exterior/frame repair. So the first place I started looking was the roof. I climbed the rear ladder and good lord great strips of band aids laying everywhere covering up all the screw heads on every fixture/jacks on the roof. I didn't want the extra maintenance down the road.
WE looked else where.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> What is your long term Dicor plan?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.