|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Up sized my W.D. Bars

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/20 09:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've got a Creek Side(Outdoors RV Mfg.)20fq. Tongue weight is 1200 pounds, trailer weight is 6700 pounds. 2013 Duramax 2500HD. Been using 1000 pound bars and I always thought there was a little too much bounce when I'd come to a Whoop-de-do in the highway. Upgraded the shocks to a set of Bilstiens and that help some but never got me to what I thought it should be. There was only so much tilt I could get out of the head to pre-load the springs.....so I upped to a new Reese Trunnion unit with 1200 pound bars and the head is very adjustable from a tilt perspective. After some tilt adjustments I got this dude down and the ride is great and the bounce is gone other than what you'd expect when encountering un-even road crossings, bridges that were never even in the first place and worse now after 10 repaving jobs! I actually think if I could've got a little more tilt in the head of the original one I could have got it, but this did fix it.............for about $500.00 that is!

V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retiring in 2021, then look-out road, here we come!

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/20 10:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I e always said that you can buy all e 1 ton dually you can buy, but if the hitch isnt setup properly then you will not be happy
. Glad you got it all figured out!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/20 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Five hundred here, five hundred there. It’s all relative!

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

mbopp

Henrietta, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/20 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see trunnion hitches fairly often in Facebook Marketplace.

2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/20 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Something else you might look into are stable loads. They engage the overload springs and are very easy to disengage when you’re not towing. They aren’t real expensive but unless you have a shop with a lift I wouldn’t recommend trying to drill the springs yourself. I tried that on mine and never got the first hole drilled. If you’re lucky and the spring is predrilled they’re easy to install.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Up sized my W.D. Bars
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.