|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> New trailer, new challenges

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Kach

WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/20 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mbopp wrote:

3 trailers ago I bought an IOTA-55 deck mount converter for a trailer we had. That converter now resides in the pass-through of our current trailer. The WFCO is turned off at the breaker and is only used as an AC / DC distribution panel.

I have a MPPT controller also mounted in the pass-through and connected to the dual golf cart batteries. Many of our dry sites are shaded so I have two 100W panels that I made portable. Even with 100' of cable I get 140W out of them.

The final backup is my old Honda 2000.

I think I’m leaning more towards doing this, at least temporarily.if it works good, I can leave the rest of the trailer stock and just take it out if I want.

Did you get a converter with a pre-wired AC cord? If so, how did you route it?

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/20 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deck mount converters have a cord to plug into 120v. You just plug into the Honda via an extension cord.

If mounting the deck mount up front you will need a 120v receptacle to plug it into. In the 5er we had, I extended the receptacle that was on the front wall low down beside the steps up to the bedroom area.

That receptacle had its back into the cargo bay up front so I just ran another receptacle from the back of that one up to the front of the cargo bay where the cord of the deck mount could reach it.

The OEM 12v wires from battery to DC fuse panel stay as is and you just put new short wires from the deck mount to the batteries.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas

Kach

WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/20 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ordered a Go Power 45a deck mount converter/4-stage charger. I’m not really familiar with the brand, but seems reputable and has the right specs. Able to get it in 2 days with Amazon so Incan test I camping next week. My Honda 1000 should power it fine. I’d rather save the money towards solar equipment than buying a new generator. The 1000 is plenty light enough to bring along as a backup when I do get solar.

I’m thinking about mounting it up in a weatherproof plastic tote that I’ll secure above the battery boxes. That way there’s no holes to drill while I test out the concept. Also, this trailer only has the front pass-through storage, so anything I can keep out of there is a plus space-wise.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/20 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please let us know if the Honda 1000 works well with that converter.
I would have recommended the 35 amp but I trust BFL gave good advice.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Kach

WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/20 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It’s rated at 650 watts “maximum power continuous.” The 55a was 800 watts but figured I shouldn’t push my luck.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/20 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GoPower was , maybe still is , using PowerMax as their converter supplier. Look for "max" in the GoPower name for it. PMX also supplies the ones known as "Boondocker". So you are where you started! [emoticon]

I hope the Honda 1000 will run a 45 amper at 14.6v as it is borderline. Try to be at sea level!

The 45 amper wants 9 amps--can't remember what a Honda 1000 will do

https://powermaxconverters.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/PM3-Spec-Sheet.pdf

Rats--the 1000 is for 8.3max and less for running. Still, you might find it works. Time2roll was right as usual.

* This post was last edited 08/01/20 06:27pm by BFL13 *   View edit history

Kach

WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/20 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmmm, looks like it may come up a bit short with the 1000...

Anyone have a recommendation for a cheap 2000 generator? I’ve heard the Champion and Ryobi are decent. I might have one on hand as a backup plan. Spent a lot of money this month, so a new Honda probably isn’t in the cards.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/20 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would ask for exchange to 35 amps. Trouble is power factor not wattage. You lose about 30% available power. Can't beat that Honda 1000 but you must know your limits. Still going to charge like a rocket compared to the 8735.

Kach

WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/20 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was able to switch my order for the 35a - thanks for the advice on that. My electrical theory knowledge is still a little shaky.

Hopefully good to go now plus a bit cheaper and can use the generator I already have.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/20 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Xantrex Power Factor white paper

Unfortunately almost all converters fall in the .7 power factor range so they need more apparent power when on generator so that they can actually extract the wattage they need to operate.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> New trailer, new challenges
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.