|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> New trailer, new challenges

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/20 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kach wrote:

It’s rated at 650 watts “maximum power continuous.” The 55a was 800 watts but figured I shouldn’t push my luck.

In that PowerMax link above, you see the 45 amper is given as 650w output.

That is not the input! You see 9 amps for that. Also note the 85% efficiency. So what does all that really mean.

First check the voltage they are using for output-- 650w and 45 amps means 14.44 volts. So that is good. Not using the 13.6 like some do.

Next find the input at 85% using 650w out. 765w. Ok , now do the 0.7 power factor on that to get 1093w required from the gen. (IMO the Honda might do that for a time, since they seem to do a little more than their ratings, but it is better not to overwork the equipment for it to last)

The 9 amps at 120v would be 1080w so that is near that 1093 so all comes out right for that set of specs.

IMO the Honda 1000 could run that 45 amper until the battery voltage got up somewhat. Your output watts is based on battery voltage, so the higher the battery voltage gets while the amps are still at 45 in the Bulk stage, the more input is required from the gen. Max power is just at the end of Bulk before amps taper. As soon as amps taper, the gen can start to ease off.

So it would almost get it done, but not to the end of the Bulk stage so that is not much use where you are doing a 50-80 and Bulk ends at around 80% SOC say. Your gen would overload at more like 75% so you only got a 50-75 done.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas

Kach

WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/20 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the converter now and sourcing the other pieces to get it hooked up. I have a quick dumb question - It says use “A minimum of 8 awg wire”. Does that mean 8 awg or thicker (lower number) or 8awg maximum thickness? I have some 4 awg to use if that will work.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/20 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kach wrote:

I have the converter now and sourcing the other pieces to get it hooked up. I have a quick dumb question - It says use “A minimum of 8 awg wire”. Does that mean 8 awg or thicker (lower number) or 8awg maximum thickness? I have some 4 awg to use if that will work.

Use the 4. It will do better than the 8 for the same length.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/20 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kach wrote:

8 is good
6 is better
4 is great
2 is grand
well, you get the idea.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

grizzzman

salt lake city, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/20 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kach wrote:

Hello all!! It’s been a good while since I’ve been active on here, but always seem to pick up good info from the archives when google searching.

We are back in the RV’ing game with our new Highland Ridge 26BH stick and tin trailer. As expected, the overall quality is a bit lackluster - I bought it expecting to beef things up and make mods over time.

The one thing I’ve been fighting is battery charging for boondocking with the WFCO 8735 converter. Typical 13.6v, no boost mode conundrum. Basically, this thing pretty much needs to go. I’ve looked at the “Boondocker” model replacement converters (leaves the original distribution panel in place). I’m fairly convinced this would help.

1) what amperage should I get? I’m hoping to get by with my 2 6v batteries if possible. I run a Honda 1000 generator (only for batt charging purposes) - would be willing to upgrade if it makes a substantial difference. With our last trailer, we could go almost indefinitely with 2-3 hours of gen runtime per day. Now - not so much!

2) Some supplemental solar is in our future. Is there a solar charge controller that also allows 110//generator charging input? Thought Is I could leave the converter alone and wire up a separate charging setup close to the batteries with large guage wire for better efficiency. Just a thought, if such a thing exists.

I would suggest leaving the WFCO in place(Just switched off while not in use) It is VERY likely that the WFCO is a long ways from the batteries any ways. PowerMax puts out a 55 a PM3 55LK. this unit can be a 3 stage or an adjustable voltage power supply. Mount it as close to your batteries as you can.

2019 Ford F150 EcoBoost SuperCrew
2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S. TM2030 SC2030
640 Watts Solar. Costco CG2 208 AH and Lifepo4 3P4S 150 AH Hybrid. TS60 Morningstar SCC.Renolagy DC to DC charger. 2000 Watt Inverter.
Boondocking is my Deal

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> New trailer, new challenges
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.