RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: How do I get a colder freezer?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> How do I get a colder freezer?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
TURNKEY

Saskatoon,Sask,Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/20 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Norcold 9163 fridge. When I set the fridge to have the temperature just above freezing the freezer will only drop to around 15 f. I recognize the unit only has one thermostat(thermistor) so you can't set the fridge and freezer independently.

I'm looking for ideas like increasing the insulation of the freezer or putting a curtain in the freezer so when you open the door all the cold doesn't 'fall out'.

Any suggestions??

TURNKEY">

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A GOOD cooling unit will get the freezer BELOW 10 degrees. Now, If you are getting the lower section to 33 to 35 degrees, your temp measurement is not correct. A cooling unit that gets the lower section to 33 to 35, the Freezer will be BELOW 10 degrees, probably closer to 0. IF NOT, then the Thermal mastic between the freezer coils and the box of the refer is missing or inadequate. Do you know if the Cooling Unit has ever been replaced? Doug

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found that adding fans built into a mask at the top of the "chimney" provided for faster cool down. My fans are thermostatically controlled, and powered independently of the fridge. Temperature in the fridge part was improved, too.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does your Fridge have an "Enviorment" switch or LAT switch (Low ambient temp)

This turns the light inside on even if the door is closed. The light is aroudn 15-20 watts of HEAT.. This makes the fridge run more.

Will it make the freezer colder? I truly do not know.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Of the five trailers (2-TT & 3-5ers) the only one that keeps Ice Cream solid it our current on with a Residential Fridge. All the others it was "Soft Serve Ice Cream" 15 to 18 degrees max

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

joelc

Cedar Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/20 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

I found that adding fans built into a mask at the top of the "chimney" provided for faster cool down. My fans are thermostatically controlled, and powered independently of the fridge. Temperature in the fridge part was improved, too.

I agree. I installed a fan and it did iprove the temperature. I also have a battery operated fan inside the fridge to circulate the air. I do not have the outside fan set to a thermostat, but I would like to. I just put it on when it is warm and shut it off when cool. Just be sure it is secure. An old computer 12V or 120V muffin fan will do if you are handy. Just tie it to the proper voltage with a switch.

TURNKEY

Saskatoon,Sask,Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/20 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies. I already have temperature controlled fans in the chimney and a battery operated fan in the fridge and freezer. I can get the fridge to be much colder but then it will freeze whatever I have in it.

Once again my question is how to get the freezer to be colder but NOT the fridge. I believe the solution will entail more insulation around the freezer compartment and possibly inside the freezer....just wanting your thoughts or suggestions.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/20 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you checked the condition of the door seals for the freezer compartment? I'd imagine an imperfect seal would cause a warm freezer (and more rapid frost build-up).

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/20 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another option is to get a separate freezer. If you have access to 120 volt power, I highly recommend this one. It will keep things frozen for 3.5 days without power, if it is full.

And of course there are 12 volt options, but they are more expensive :-).

3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/20 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Michelle.S wrote:

Of the five trailers (2-TT & 3-5ers) the only one that keeps Ice Cream solid it our current on with a Residential Fridge. All the others it was "Soft Serve Ice Cream" 15 to 18 degrees max

RV freezers, if you buy the square/rectangle cartons of ice cream and store against the BACK wall of the freezer, it will get the Ice Cream harder. Doug

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> How do I get a colder freezer?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.