RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Trailer length - does that influence spot availability?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Trailer length - does that influence spot availability?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
dlgobeavs

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 04:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello All-

My family is new to RV camping, and looking to invest in a new or new to us trailer. We are looking at trailers that vary between 30-35 feet in length.

My question, is whether a 35' trailer will put us in a length category where we start to find limited spots at a typical campground? I know each campground will vary, but generally, does 35' put us in a category where there are limited spots that will accommodate? If so, what maximum length would you recommend to ensure we have the most choices?

Thanks in advance!!

Dave

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

are you talking about commercial campgrounds or some mud hole state parks, etc.? I never had trouble with my 35 ft Class A with toad but I usually made reservations and specified the length required.
bumpy

Mike134

Elgin

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some places yes

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

IDman

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, you WILL be limiting your choices, especially in Nat'l. Parks, State Parks, National Forest CGs as they are all old. When they were built in the 40s and 50s, people had 16'-20' TT or tents. Commercial RV parks are usually crowded with smaller sites because of the land cost. The more spaces in a park = more income.

As a first time buyer, you would probably be more comfortable towing a shorter unit for awhile.

dlgobeavs

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IDman wrote:

Yes, you WILL be limiting your choices, especially in Nat'l. Parks, State Parks, National Forest CGs as they are all old. When they were built in the 40s and 50s, people had 16'-20' TT or tents. Commercial RV parks are usually crowded with smaller sites because of the land cost. The more spaces in a park = more income.

As a first time buyer, you would probably be more comfortable towing a shorter unit for awhile.

Thanks, I sincerely appreciate the input. This is exactly what I was asking about. I'm curious, what length do I need to drop back to, to ensure the most choices?

Also - I have for years routinely towed a 26' boat, not super concerned with the towing/manuvering around... just want to not limit our camping based on availability.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Few years back I went coast to coast with a 45ft class A DP towing a 28ft enclosed and never had a problem. I always requested a “pull through “. You stay under 60ft you can usually find a spot. I am right now in Pigeon Forge at about 56ft and there are several spots longer still empty.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/20 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most commercial RV parks can accommodate 35'
Most state/federal parks you will be limited to the spots that are sufficient. Some places may have nothing to accommodate 35'.

Actually anything over 20' to 25' can easily run into issues. It is not always the site but the tight roadways weaving between trees also create limits.

Generally popular places will have a commercial RV park near by if you cannot find the accommodations within a state/federal park. But honestly I would try to get by with less than more.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a dozen or so specific campgrounds you expect to visit most often, visit their websites to see what if any limitations they post there.
While you can usually find a place with most units, if you are going to be in older campgrounds, especially older Government owned campgrounds, longer than 30' can become an issue. At commercial, usually not, as they want every spot filled and will arrange spaces to ensure maximum usage.

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/20 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 35 foot TT is big and will limit your choices. But if you book places earlier you should be ok. State parks and such, depending will be really limited, at least by me. Backing a 35 footer in will need lots of room.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/20 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of USFS campgrounds in the Eastern Sierra will not accommodate a 35 foot TT.

Here’s a chart of California State Park limits...

https://www.parks.ca.gov/RVlength

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Trailer length - does that influence spot availability?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.