RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Trailer length - does that influence spot availability?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Trailer length - does that influence spot availability?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dlgobeavs wrote:

Hello All-

My family is new to RV camping, and looking to invest in a new or new to us trailer. We are looking at trailers that vary between 30-35 feet in length.

My question, is whether a 35' trailer will put us in a length category where we start to find limited spots at a typical campground? I know each campground will vary, but generally, does 35' put us in a category where there are limited spots that will accommodate? If so, what maximum length would you recommend to ensure we have the most choices?

Thanks in advance!!

Dave

At 35' you will generally be ok. Above 35' you will have some issues. Some of the older RV parks could be limited. State parks in Calif. are limited to 30'. Try to get pull through sites.

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/20 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, Mark, some our state parks are limited to thirty feet, not all. For instance, Emma Wood is 45. Oceans Dunes is 40. New Brighton is 36. Silver Strand is 40. Millerton Lake is 36.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Oregon yes 35' will limit you. You will still find spots but they're going to be harder to get since everyone and their dogs out camping. 25' is a great length that will get you in more spots more often.
I have a 31' plus a long bed truck I need a minimum of 42' to get both in a spot. I can hang the rear of the TT over the end if needed.
Finding spots that long are easy, but finding them open is another thing. Not every campground is full of long sites. Usually it's a mix of short and long.
Most all RV parks can handle a 31-35' trailer. It's going to boil down to where you want to camp as to how easy it will be to get a spot.

I would suggest doing a hypothetical reservation plan and see what places you could actually get into when you need to.

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The site len0is not the only consideration. Width of access roads and turns are also important. Yosemite is a prime example.

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/20 06:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sure does. Our old 22' camper could fit on just about any site, including most tent sites in a pinch. Our new 34' camper puts a lot more restrictions on where we can stay. This becomes especially true out west in older state or national parks where they were never designed for 60' of rig to park.

As much as I miss our 22' camper when it was the wife and I, with 3 kids and 3 dogs, the 34' camper is a necessity now. When we go cross country in 7 years, I'll just have to plan it out a little more thoroughly than I would have in the past.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

our trailer is 35ft. I'm 60ft overall when towing. In the 10 years we've had it we've camped over 500 days. I will say "YES there ARE places you will have problems". Sometimes you will have a limited number of spots you can fit in, Some campgrounds will be off limits due to spot size and/or road width. That said we have NEVER had a case where we couldn't find campsites within reasonable distance of where we wanted to go. Sometimes it wasn't the first choice, other times we had limited sites to choose from.

Now, to avoid last minute problems, check out the campgrounds BEFOREHAND. If you have questions CALL. I've called FS, BLM, State Parks, county parks, never had a case where they weren't able to give me enough info to decide on the park. In one case they said, reserve site xxx and when you arrive, let us know we will have you go the wrong way in order to get in. Worked perfect.

Last week we were at a state park, in comes someone pulling a 30+ft trailer. the spot they had reserved wasn't even 30ft deep, right angle backing to the passenger side. They were in a panic. by moving a few vehicles from site across and guidence we got them backed in. After one of us took over the backing. I said "didn't you look at the site on the web when you reserved?" The comment "I didn't know they had pictures or dimensions!" Well, they did.

But then a few days later someone with about the same size trailer pulled in for the same site. Out come two gal's, take a quick look, driver gets back in and spotter gives a few directions and first try straight and perfect into the site.

Moral: Hone your backing skills and coordination skills with your spotter. We carry a pair of portable radios since we are often at places w/o cell service. Wife as spotter with portable radio can make it much easier.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 09:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There’s not really a magic number on length. I’ve seen max length vary by a foot site by site in the same campground at a state park. I had to shrink my camper by a foot to get a site.

Also I’ve seen the sizes not be accurate on websites. A Corps campground had a site listed as 25’ max, but I was pretty sure it was longer from the picture, so I called, and it was longer. It could have handled a 60’ trailer and a couple of trucks.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/20 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We reserve in advance and specifying length, 30 ft in our case and no issues.

We mainly stay at state parks and have a drawer full of campgrounds maps with our favorite sites highlighted.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/20 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Of course. The older Forest Service campgrounds and NPS campgrounds in the West are often dated and don't fit trailer larger than about 25-28 feet.

It is totally common to hear people write "we have a 38 foot fifth wheel and have no problems anywhere."
That's because they don't try to take them a lot of places.

* This post was edited 08/01/20 05:14pm by ppine *

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/20 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We travel with our 36’ and have not had major problems. The public parks east of the Mississippi have been the most restricted. The western states have been much easier because we boondock a lot. Some of the western parks are too small, but we’ve always managed to find a spot with or without hookups pretty close to where we wanted to be and usually just as nice as the ones that were too small.
For us the comfort of the bigger rig always outweighs the minimal hassle.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Trailer length - does that influence spot availability?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.