RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Trailer length - does that influence spot availability?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Trailer length - does that influence spot availability?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/20 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

campigloo wrote:

For us the comfort of the bigger rig always outweighs the minimal hassle.

buy the one that fits your needs best. don't limit yourself to a 30 footer for example, if there is a perfect one available at 32 feet. and if you are just making a decision based on the designation made by the mfr., you don't really know the exact length anyway.
the only place that the exact length matters is if there is some issue at your home where it will be stored and covenants, etc. apply.
bumpy

* This post was edited 08/01/20 09:40am by Bumpyroad *

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/20 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

35' trailer size.
When I arrive at a RV Park, I always do a "walk & look" at the site before I try to park my trailer. Look for tree limbs and room to maneuver when backing up.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/20 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

If you have a dozen or so specific campgrounds you expect to visit most often, visit their websites to see what if any limitations they post there.
While you can usually find a place with most units, if you are going to be in older campgrounds, especially older Government owned campgrounds, longer than 30' can become an issue. At commercial, usually not, as they want every spot filled and will arrange spaces to ensure maximum usage.

X2

There is an NFS campground near here in Virginia that has some newer sites that will accommodate rigs in the 35' class, but half the sites were built in the 1930s by the WPA and are limited to 28 feet, mostly by the road and trees beside it. Every campground is different. And every one of them has SOME upper limit, even if only that imposed by the State road use laws. One can only go by the rule of thumb that the longer your rig, the fewer sites there are. More specificity requires checking with each campground at which you wish to stay.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/20 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes it will. The longer it is, the harder it is to find really good sites. you may find a site. But it will usually be on the edge of comfort. Not always of course.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/20 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The perfect size is 15' when towing and 45 when parked.... Of course like most things, a compromise needs to be made. My trailers have grown over the years. 24',28', 34', and about to be 44'.... Obvously, I have not found size to be much of an issue. But my camping is likely different from your camping. Only you can make the choice that is right for you. Anyone elses opinion doesn't matter.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/20 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

According to someone who compiled every federal campground spot a few years ago at 35' you still officially fit into 85% of sites, every foot over drops you around 4-5%. State spots are generally a bit more lenient but it's not that far off.

Heck, if you make reservations last minute like I did for my current trip every foot counts. We got the last spot at 3 campgrounds, 1 would fit up to 24', the one we're on right now is super tight at 18', the one tomorrow would fit 30-31' but no longer than that.

2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/20 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stay at a lot of national parks. Yellowstone for example has this notice in their campground section of their web site:
"Campground sites that will accommodate a maximum combined length of 40-feet or more are limited."
Notice that it says COMBINED length. That is TT and tow vehicle.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/20 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm in 35ft and have no problem finding sites. There are a small number that are restricted to 24ft or less.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Mark and Linda

Smyrna, Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/20 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Puma 25RS is 30 Foot from nose to tail, never had a problem finding a site. The COE sites will usually tell you about the lengths. Go for what you feel comfortable with...

Blazing Zippers

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/20 10:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If this is your first trailer-----chose carefully. I'll bet that after a year or so, another unit will peak your interest.
Maybe look for a good used unit first--take a friend with you when looking. A friend will find item and issues that you won't.
If you're still working full time, do you want to spend $$$$ to sit along side the house or in a storage yard? Again, maybe check used.
35 feet will hamper a large number of spots to camp, especially if you like to use forest service, BLM, or city parks. I'm NOT knocking a few on here when they say they use pull throughs or have long rigs, but "SIZE DOES MATTER."
My bride and I currently have a 30 foot (hitch to rear tire) tow behind with a slide, big tanks, a sofa, insulated windows, big batteries, and a full queen bed (not a RV queen), and it works just great for us. In fact, we downsized from a larger fifth wheel because we didn't use that large of a space. We tow with a 3/4 ton gasser and go anywhere we want.
The important thing is that you use it! The RV!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Trailer length - does that influence spot availability?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.