RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Best house battery?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Best house battery?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/20 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drumz wrote:

Well we don't use the motorhome that much. We vend at festivals, so we boondock alot. Sometimes we get electrical hook ups, it's rare though. The battery compartment is under the unit. And I guess I would rather not mess with checking water and stuff.I think the smoke/propane alarm runs down the battery, cause it's always dead after a few weeks of sitting. We don't leave the rv plugged in, as thats how our old rv caught on fire.
Isn't there a maint free deep cycle?

Deep cycles come as AGMs, too. Google is your friend.

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/20 03:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drumz wrote:

Well we don't use the motorhome that much. We vend at festivals, so we boondock alot. Sometimes we get electrical hook ups, it's rare though. The battery compartment is under the unit. And I guess I would rather not mess with checking water and stuff.I think the smoke/propane alarm runs down the battery, cause it's always dead after a few weeks of sitting. We don't leave the rv plugged in, as thats how our old rv caught on fire.
Ah Ha!

Really need to install a disconnect switch so the battery does not discharge. AGM can sit fully charged for 8 to 12 months and still operate fine if it is disconnected. Left for dead the battery sulfates causing permanent capacity loss.

Next to check would be your charging system and I assume you are using a generator to give a daily recharge. Post the converter model numbers for best answers. If you park in the sun 100 to 300 watts solar would make a huge difference.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/20 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drumz wrote:

Absolutely AGMs. Sorry couldn't resist. [emoticon]

How about a maintenance free Marine Deep Cycle battery. It's deep cycle because the label say so!

Or just what is it?

OK Yes they exist even true Deep Cycle. Hold your nose and raise your CC.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/20 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

drumz wrote:

Ah Ha!

Really need to install a disconnect switch so the battery does not discharge. AGM can sit fully charged for 8 to 12 months and still operate fine if it is disconnected. Left for dead the battery sulfates causing permanent capacity loss.

Next to check would be your charging system and I assume you are using a generator to give a daily recharge. Post the converter model numbers for best answers. If you park in the sun 100 to 300 watts solar would make a huge difference.
Absolutely, I have full disconnect switches on both banks. [emoticon]

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/20 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, you can use a maintenance free wet cell. If you use two batteries, make sure they are both the same size and age otherwise the charging and depletion might be off sync.

Detectors : Pull the fuse when you store it or install a toggle switch on the detectors if its running down your batts.
Simply unscrew the detector, pull it off the wall and you will see the two thin wires powering it. Spice the toggle switch into the wiring and install the switch next to the detector. Use it when you need to.
Another option is to install a knife switch onto the battery terminal to kill the power when you park it.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/20 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drumz wrote:

.I think the smoke/propane alarm runs down the battery, cause it's always dead after a few weeks of sitting...We don't leave the rv plugged in, as that's how our old rv caught on fire.
No battery will survive that for very long. You may be a good candidate for solar if you won't plug in.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/20 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drumz wrote:

There are maint free liquid acid (non AGM) batteries - their tops are sealed so no access to their interior water/acid mix and no water needs to be, or can be, added.

However, probably you're best bet for a maint free RV battery would be an AGM battery (there isn't any liquid inside them).

Now regarding an AGM battery: A deep cycle type AGM battery is what you should use in your RV. That is ... a "true" deep cycle AGM battery - not a "combination" deep cycle/starting AGM battery that can be both a starting battery and (kindof) a deep cycle battery. AGM batteries come in both types.

I have a "starting" type AGM battery under the hood in my pickup. In my RV I have true deep cyle AGM batteries not intended for engine starting use. Of course they are zero maintenance and don't even have to be on a maintenance charger for months at a time - if it isn't convenient when one's RV isn't being used.

A true deep AGM battery will not be inexpensive, however. I had to get mine at a battery distributor. You probably can't walk into a Walmart or auto store and find these type AGM batteries. One source for them is marine supply stores. Other sources might be golf cart or industrial equipment battery suppliers.

For instance, the ones I have in our RV are popular for marine use, but almost never commonly found in RVs. Mine are "standard size" Group 31 12 volt true deep cycle AGM batteries that are rated at 115 amp hours each, and weigh about 72 lbs. each. The two of these hooked up in parallel provide 230 amp hours of storage, of which only about one-half of that 230 amp hours should be used at a time before charging.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

whemme

Spencer, IA

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/20 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My opinion on a lot of these types of questions is that if there truly was a one and only one best house battery, it would be the only one left on the market.

2002 Born Free 26' RSB Motorcoach
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS Toad

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/20 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My next set will be SiO2. They can withstand 620 cycles to stone bone dead. Self discharge rate is 1.6% per month.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/20 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

My next set will be SiO2. They can withstand 620 cycles to stone bone dead. Self discharge rate is 1.6% per month.

Don ... yeah, I kindof agree ... if:

1. They were available in Group 31 size instead of Group 27 size,
and

2. They could be charged directly by any good old run-of-the-mill engine alternator without burning up the alternator,
and

3. They could be charged if you wanted to and without damaging them or the converter by any good old run-of-the-mill 13.8 volt converter that used to come in many RVs.

IAW ... if certain SiO2 batteries were finally true 12V DROP-IN REPLACEMENTS for 12V deep cycle AGM batteries (the AGM batteries that charge good enough from a stock fixed voltage converter and don't ruin stock alternators) ... then I might consider the SiO2 batteries, eventually.

IMHO ... I feel that Battle Born batteries aren't quite there yet unless you have plenty of $$$$ to spend AFTER spending the $$$$ for the BB batteries themselves. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Best house battery?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.