|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> The Way “All” 5th Wheels Frames Should Be Built

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/20 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many folks don’t think about or have any knowledge about the most important part of the RV..... mainly because it is mostly unseen. The frame and suspension is the foundation for your RV. There are places where costs can be reduced, the frame design and integrity .....is not it!

Obviously the beam dimensions (wall thickness, height, etc) can be reduced for a smaller, lighter unit.....but this is not the place to put the minimum!

If nothing else.....it may give folks an idea of things to look for when shopping for your next RV!

And no, we don’t own one! However, many of the features mentioned are things we’ve had in our 5th wheels since the ‘90’s! memtb

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2fKbAUuwgPo

* This post was last edited 08/01/20 03:31pm by memtb *   View edit history

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/20 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This why I love my HitchHiker Champagne. Heavier Young's Welding frame and Mor/Ryde IS suspension with HD brakes.

Yes we are heavy...19,500 lb on the road with no water.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/20 05:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fKbAUuwgPo&app=desktop

One of the main reasons we bought our Northwoods RV 5er 8 years ago and last year bought an Outdoors RV TT. Both in house made frames.
While not of the same caliber as the one in the video, they're still well built with very few issues.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/20 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I were to get a “new” (unlikely) RV, Arctic Fox would be on the short list.....if I won a big lottery, New Horizons would be the “only” one on the list. Meanwhile, I hope that our old Teton will carry us to the end of our RV’ing days! memtb

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/20 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are MFGRs claims about frame strength that are not entirely true. Our Carriage 5er boasted 3/16 wall.(.188) 2x6 Turns out 3/16 was only used in the front portion, under the load over axle portion was 1/8 wall (.125)
Yes we bent the frame there while following their load recommendations because of a massive (unmarked construction bridge ) bump in the road. A spendy fix. It also tore out the rubber morryde equalizers
I belatedly determined the thinner wall tubing by the radius of the corners of the tubing. When rectangular tube is formed, the wall thickness creates a more square corner depending on wall thickness. It does not take an engineering degree to see the 50% increase in strength from the difference, or the maybe $20 in cost to them and the extra 50 # to make a frame that can take all the road may throw at it.

So look at the frame. If you see any portion that looks different, like squarer corners on tubular, or narrower or thinner flanges on I Beam frames. Question it. they are lighter, thinner than the more radiused corners of heavier tubing.

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/20 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At RV shows or dealerships the first thing to be done is get on hands & knees & inspect frames, especially in spring hanger mounting areas.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

RickLight

Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/20 08:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Modern engineering has routinely made products stronger and lighter using less material.

Yes the frame is critical, but far more than wall thickness is required. The engineering however is only as good as the managers will allow and the warranty will support. Both are powered by money!

Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/20 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rick, You are very correct about the engineering and then the manufacturers employing said engineering. The video (New Horizons) spent a little bit of time discussing bracing, gusseting, etc. not used on most RV frames.......as well as frame dimensions and wall thickness.

Ultimately, in comes down to the manufactures providing the best frames for our RV’s within reasonable costs! The sad reality is....the “bean counters” determine the quality of the product that is offered to the public. memtb

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/20 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like a good heavy built frame for that 43' unit.
I liked his point of their not using axles that have to much capacity for the job.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

JTrac

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/20 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A heavy, quality built fifth wheel is great for those who need them but that market is limited. I have nothing to back it up other than what I see in rv parks and on the road, but it appears most folks want something they can tow with a 3/4 or maybe a one ton single rear wheel truck. My guess is that's why Montana bragged for years about being the best selling fifth wheel and why manufacturers like Excel and Nuwa are gone. I think quality is possible with lighter weight units but it will cost more to do which makes them less competitive with those who don't.

JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR, 4562 payload capacity

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> The Way “All” 5th Wheels Frames Should Be Built
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.