RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: 2014 Chevy 1500 WT opinions?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2014 Chevy 1500 WT opinions?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
donfla

home

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/20 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

APT wrote:

I would avoid that truck. 2014 first model year of that design. 4.3L - fine unloaded, skip for hauling or towing.

Now this concerns me being one of the 2005 6.0 Powerstroke buyers that ended in disaster cost wise. Are there any specific failures you know of for light towing?

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/20 11:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

APT wrote:

I would avoid that truck. 2014 first model year of that design. 4.3L - fine unloaded, skip for hauling or towing.

At close to 300hp, 300 lb ft of torque, a 4.10 first gear, ok so a tallish 3.23 AR.......still has more torque to rear wheels, and HP available than the first BB 454 I had in the late 80s!
My son's 1500 with a 4.8 V8, 4 so auto, 3.42 gears pulls a 7000 lb equipment trailer better than the 454s I had did, I would suspect this V6 will do fine pulling 7000 lbs also. No it will not be fastest rig on planet. It will pull it fine.
Payload wise, trucks like that wieghs 4700-4800 empty, with 7500 lbs of axle ratings, 6800 warranty rating, should be able to handle a ton of stuff in the bed. 3000 for shorter distances.
I have yet to hear of any issues with this motor. Even the previous versions basically ran and ran!
This will not be like buying the VT365/6.ohno in a frod. I've considered trading in my C2500 for a 14-18 version. Altho thing more of a 4x dual can. BIG issue on this model is 6.5' bed.....a reg cab may have to do. 4x versions are few and far between in the reg cabs.

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/20 05:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donfla wrote:

APT wrote:

Now this concerns me being one of the 2005 6.0 Powerstroke buyers that ended in disaster cost wise. Are there any specific failures you know of for light towing?

While I know nothing about the new version of 4.3, I can only say that APT's advice is generally spot on, and I would listen to his advice. He has vast knowledge, especially concerning GM products.

Jerry

donfla

home

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/20 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Picked it up today and not perfect with miss matched tires and idling a little rough but happy with it so far. Looking at the last oil change sticker vs current mileage it was parked for a year. Not 4x4 which I’d prefer but does have an 8’ bed. Thanks again guys the input is appreciated.

[image]

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/20 10:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it has a hitch, you hopefully have the factory tow PKG, which includes a locking rear. Look in glove box for G80 in option code sticker. The Eaton locker in many cases is better than an open diffed 4x.

Marty

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2014 Chevy 1500 WT opinions?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.