RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Onboard Air System Planning - Components Suggestions?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Onboard Air System Planning - Components Suggestions?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Moomba2002

Sebastopol, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/20 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As Barry said I got all of my components from Extreme Outback Products talk with George he can give you more information than a brain can handle. They aren't inexpensive but the product and the customer service can't be beat.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 4x4
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k hitch
2017 Columbus 383FB
ExtremeAire 150 PSI 100% Duty Cyle on board air w/4gal. tank

2003 Arctic Fox 1150 loaded except solor

markowwes

Vegreville, Ab. Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/20 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoeChiOhki wrote:

One of the kits I've been looking at, so far, was Viair's Ultra Duty setup, but I can't recall if there was issues with these being run alot.

VIAIR 200 PSI Ultra Duty Onboard Air System

i have a kelderman full air ride system in my F550, they use the Viair system, it runs 6 big air bags with now problems.

DWeikert

York, PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/20 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went with the Airlift Wireless Air to avoid having to run air lines into the cab. I did have a failure of the controller/manifold but it was replaced painlessly under warranty and no issues since. One big advantage is it automatically maintains the pressure setting or the minimum 5 psi. Another advantage is I can walk around the vehicle with the controller in hand and adjust the air while watching the springs. I like to inflate the bags until the springs lift off the overloads then lower the pressure until they just engage. That seems to work best for keeping the side to side rocking at a minimum. They now have multiple wireless options.

Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/20 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarryG20 wrote:

I am not Moomba but outback extreme does sell tanks. I bought mine local many years ago. As far as a blow down valve. They also sell those but they are not automatic. It is spring loaded, has a ring on the end of it that you can just pull on and it empties the air. I placed my valve on the bottom of the tank and while I don't really do it that often I can just reach up under the truck and pull it. What I do on a more regular basis is when I disconnect my air chuck from the quick connect is as I start to pull it apart I let a pretty fair amount of air out which also expels some moisture certainly not all of it but probably the majority. My tank is at least 15 years old and still hasn't rusted through yet from the inside and the outside still has plenty of original paint on it after living its life under the truck (though I do not live in a salt state)

My main concern was in winter operation with moisture in the system may cause damage to the valves and fittings, a manual valve will likely corrode on the tank before terribly long as road spray hits it, sadly [emoticon].

Moomba2002 wrote:

As Barry said I got all of my components from Extreme Outback Products talk with George he can give you more information than a brain can handle. They aren't inexpensive but the product and the customer service can't be beat.

Aye, I was eying their engine driven compressors they listed as well, though those I'm thinking are not 100% duty cycle units?

DWeikert wrote:

I went with the Airlift Wireless Air to avoid having to run air lines into the cab. I did have a failure of the controller/manifold but it was replaced painlessly under warranty and no issues since. One big advantage is it automatically maintains the pressure setting or the minimum 5 psi. Another advantage is I can walk around the vehicle with the controller in hand and adjust the air while watching the springs. I like to inflate the bags until the springs lift off the overloads then lower the pressure until they just engage. That seems to work best for keeping the side to side rocking at a minimum. They now have multiple wireless options.

My only thing about Wireless type things like that is its one more thing with batteries or electrical needs that's got a higher proneness towards failure. For major systems, the more basic and simplisticlly mechanical it is, the easier it will be for me to make emergency field repairs and maintain it [emoticon].

The convenience of being able to stand and remotely level the camper would be pretty cool, though.

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

DWeikert

York, PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/20 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoeChiOhki wrote:

My only thing about Wireless type things like that is its one more thing with batteries or electrical needs that's got a higher proneness towards failure. For major systems, the more basic and simplisticlly mechanical it is, the easier it will be for me to make emergency field repairs and maintain it [emoticon].

The convenience of being able to stand and remotely level the camper would be pretty cool, though.

I'm an IT guy and like newfangled gadgets. But, I also prepare for their failure. That's why I also T'd into the line feeding each bag and installed a Schrader valve in the wheel wells. If for whatever reason I can't use the onboard compressor I can still air up with a bicycle pump. Likewise, a short hose with a lock on air chuck on each end and I can now inflate a tire using the airbag pump. It's going to take some time but better than having to resort to a hand pump if I'm in the middle of nowhere.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Onboard Air System Planning - Components Suggestions?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.