RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Running a residential fridge on 12 volt power?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Running a residential fridge on 12 volt power?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
mrad

Prineton, MN

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/20 07:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I are getting close to purchasing our first 5th wheel 2 of the models we are looking at have residential refrigerators. A friend of mine said he intentionally avoided a residential because on days he Pulls the 5th wheel to work so he can head straight to the campground, he is worried the fridge would drain the battery on the RV as well as possibly draining his TV batteries.

About how long could I expect 2 12v batteries in an RV to last before the fridge would drain them?

I know depends on the reserve capacity of the batteries, but I'm wondering if they would be drained in a 9 hour period.

Retired JSO

North Georgia Mountains

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/20 09:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Residential 22 cf here. We have a 2 12 volt batteries that allows our fridge to run off the inverter for over 15 hours without any problems.

corvettekent

Marysville, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/20 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Less then 24 hours. If you plan on camping off grid you should think about getting four batteries and 600 (or more) watts of solar.

2007.5 GMC Dually EC/LB, LMM. Banks IQ, Speed Brake, Six Gun. B&W Turnover Ball, Companion Hitch, Amp power steps. Hadley Air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT and four 6 volt batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

navigator2346

texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/20 09:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have gone over 20 hours without power to my residential refer due to a bad transfer switch. Everything was still frozen, the refer portion was still within safe temperature limits. You do need power to the refer 24/7

mrad

Prineton, MN

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/20 10:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies. My only concern was could I get through a work day if I pulled the rv to work so I didn't have to go home after and then backtrack again. Off grid we would have a generator.

Now that I think of it, if I had two 2800/3100 champion generators in parallel, and the fridge air compressor kicked on with one 15,000 and one 13,500 btu AC running, would I have enough power?

This is a minor concern as it would only happen if we would ever decide to attend an outdoor concert/camping event in the future.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/20 10:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mrad,

If all three happened to start at the same second, there might be a concern. But that concern could be met by having a load support hybrid inverter/charger.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/20 05:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are Friges and Friges. At one time both Dometic and No-Cold offered high effiency 12/120 volt Fridges.. They used what I call "Danfoss Class" compressors (Danfoss is one company that makes them) I have a chest freezer next to me that uses a competitor's compressor. 36 watts. that's 3 amps at 12 volt or about 30 hours on a pair of GC-2.

I think the Uprights were about 40 watts. By comparison a pair of 1141 light bulbs. 38

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/20 05:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mrad wrote:

Thanks for the replies. My only concern was could I get through a work day if I pulled the rv to work so I didn't have to go home after and then backtrack again.

Start by loading the refrigerator the night before and pulling it in a home some that it is fully cooled down before you go to work. Most decent residential refrigerators will hold temperature for 12 hour if they are already at their normal operating temperature.

Two 6V golf cart batteries will have more storage capacity than two 12V batteries and will likely have a longer life.

mrad wrote:

Off grid we would have a generator.

Now that I think of it, if I had two 2800/3100 champion generators in parallel, and the fridge air compressor kicked on with one 15,000 and one 13,500 btu AC running, would I have enough power?

Should be plenty of power.

* This post was edited 08/04/20 04:05pm by theoldwizard1 *

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/20 05:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The batteries will be fine, especially if the fridge is cold with cold food in it. Our driveway is sloped, so we will level up in the driveway and load up at night, the after loading I’ll move to the street an use batteries overnight for a quick getaway the next morning.

Like said above, get 2 6v golf cart batteries.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Lwiddis

Near Mammoth, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/20 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With an adequate solar system this issue would disappear....batteries, panels, wire and controller.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Running a residential fridge on 12 volt power?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.