|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Taping Window on Cab Over

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
CYCLEPATH

Wasilla, AK

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/20 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm getting ready to drive Alaska to Michigan in my Dodge 3500 with '04 Lance 921. I was thinking of putting cardboard, or something, over the cab over window. Has anyone done this type of thing, and also, would the duct tape damage the finish of the camper? I have down multiple Haul Rd trips with no window problem, but was wondering if I was pushing my luck. Thank you.

moebedick

Worcester,Ma

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/20 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have never done that trip, though I wish I had been able. If your luck is even vaguely like my luck, you have just succeeded in jinxing yourself. If you cover the window, nothing will happen. If you don’t cover it,well, you can see where I’m going. I would rather worry about removing glue residue, than spend the rest of my life dope slapping myself for not covering it...or, worse yet, listening to my wife remind me that I should have covered it.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/20 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don’t think the duct tape would hurt anything, but you could put and extra coating of wax on to make getting the residue off with GooGone or similar. I’d take it off as soon as you can and possibly bring extra tape to retape it. I also don’t know if it’s necessary.

I don’t know how think your window is, but maybe you can magnets through the glass.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/20 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

moebedick wrote:

I have never done that trip, though I wish I had been able. If your luck is even vaguely like my luck, you have just succeeded in jinxing yourself. If you cover the window, nothing will happen. If you don’t cover it,well, you can see where I’m going. I would rather worry about removing glue residue, than spend the rest of my life dope slapping myself for not covering it...or, worse yet, listening to my wife remind me that I should have covered it.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!! I hear ya there!!

"> 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/20 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

I don’t think the duct tape would hurt anything, but you could put and extra coating of wax on to make getting the residue off with GooGone or similar. I’d take it off as soon as you can and possibly bring extra tape to retape it. I also don’t know if it’s necessary.

I don’t know how think your window is, but maybe you can magnets through the glass.

That's an interesting idea! Rare earth mag's are pretty strong.
Possible to even take it a step further and use 1/8" baltic birch ply painted white or Coroplast or even a piece of white Laminate cut in the shape of the window. Epoxy or PL Premium metal strips or 1/2" plated washers to the side facing the glass. R.E. mag's on the inside of the window. Probably want some felt between the glass and mag's so not to scratch the glass.
If lighter is wanted, a piece of white or black vinyl coated tarp might be good. And if it does peel off, it's less of a danger to others.
Definitely do a test with an off cut first to make sure you can get it off![emoticon]. Then build the full size one and find a quiet stretch of road you can do a speed test. Don't want that thing pulling a Frisbee on you during the trip. A strip of weather stripping tape around the perimeter may be prudent to keep the wind from getting under it and causing lift. Test, test and test some more.
Would look a bit more steak and lobster then hotdog and corn chips. And less likely to get the evil eye from the Mrs. [emoticon]

Anyhow....I get carried away with the coffee shop engineering....[emoticon]

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/20 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think cardboard would get weaker as it gets wet. I would use 1/2 inch foam, maybe a little thicker.

MORSNOW

Mountain Home, ID

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/20 08:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've made the trip a few times, the only time I destroyed a windshield was making the drive in the winter (November). The Yukon spreads crushed rock on the highway that is kicked up by passing vehicles and my front tires trough rocks forward and I drove into my own rocks. You'll be fine this time of year and there won't be much traffic. Report back and let me know how the road is, I'll be headed out the first week of September.

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD

7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/20 11:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn’t have thought or worried about it, but I wouldn’t use cardboard. I’d be thinking like a piece of tub surround FRP or a piece of plexiglass. Cut to the shape of the window and stick on with some sticky back Velcro or maybe a few dabs or caulking or construction adhesive between the pieces or double sided tape for vehicle trim. I’d do Velcro. Easily removable later.
Doesn’t need to be attached terribly well just enough to not fall off from vibration and bouncing.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/20 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe use painter's tape to reduce the residue? I would use a foam sheet rather than cardboard unless you plan to remove it every time it rains.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

Z-Peller

Oceanside BC

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/20 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a painted aluminum siding camper years ago on Alaska trip. I used a 3/16 mahogany door skin and painted it both sides for waterproofing then cut it to shape of front glass and used similar colored Duct tape on siding to attach it. Never had a rock strike, but it made me feel better knowing my bed was not going to be wet and covered in glass!...in my experience Duct tape glue has never hurt painted Aluminum or Fiberglass siding. Varsol and a rag and a bit of elbow grease cleans it up. I have had Duct tape cooked on in AZ sunshine on my Bigfoots many times and hardened glue left on camper when tape is pulled off always comes off with Varsol.

* This post was edited 08/05/20 12:39pm by Z-Peller *

Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Taping Window on Cab Over
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.