|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Dry vs Gross weight

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/20 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

Bobbo wrote:

GrandpaKip wrote:

kellem wrote:

I like to keep it simple.

Look at the trailers GVWR and figure in 12- 15 % of that as tounge weight and subtract that from from payload.

Have a tow vehicle that can pull the GVWR of trailer and payload that can absorb the tounge weight and cargo.

I've owned 4 trailers and each weighed much closer to the trailers GVWR vs the UVW or dry weight.

This.

Can't agree with this more!

I completely disagree!

There would be a lot of overlooked Trailers that will work safely going by that thinking! Why use the trailers GVWR when you will never use all of it. Like I said my trailer had a 4klb CCC it was not a toy hauler, it just had a larger frame and axles. I only used 2klbs of its 4K lb CCC. No reason to use the trailers full GVWR unless it is has a very low CCC.

Agree. My TT will NEVER use all of the CC. At best it will see half of it. My TT has a 2400lb carrying capacity. After 8 years of use. I still have more than 1400lb left over. I'm not even using half of it.

BTW. My TT gets lighter every year. We don't use something. It comes out. No use dragging around stuff you don't use.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/20 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

If you really travel below the GVWR of the trailer, it's legitimate to use the real number.. .

YEP
bumpy

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/20 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dont forget..... kids grow. sounds like my micro lite would be a good fit.

clicky

Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/20 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If advice is requested by unsuspecting buyers then one should err on the side of caution.

Towing with marginal vehicles can be risky and having a buffer is optimal.

I'd rather see all RVers keeping safe on the highway and having a tow vehicle equipped to tow the trailers GVWR and having the payload for passengers, cargo and tounge weight.....is not such a bad idea.

Alternatively we could ask the OP to give us in detail every single item that goes into the RV, right down to paper plates and solo cups.
Then we can advice against a formidable tow vehicle.

Raife

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/20 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So here are some examples of what I am talking about (can't post a table so sorry for the formatting):

Manufacturer Line Model Hitch UVW CCC GVWR Length Link

Coachman Apex Nano 208BHS 516 3948 2052 6000 24'11" https://coachmenrv.com/travel-trailers/apex-nano/208BHS/4011

Gulf Stream Conquest Lite 248BH 500 4060 3601 7661 26'7" https://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/products/light-weight/conquest-lite/model/248bh

Gulf Stream Trailmaster Ultra-Lite 248BH 500 4060 3601 7661 27'4" https://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/products/light-weight/trailmasterlite/model/248bh

Keystone Bullet 2200BH Crossfire 425 4126 2174 6300 25'4" https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-trailers/bullet/floorplans/2200bh-crossfire-travel-trailer/

Forest River Salem Cruise Lite West T201BHXL 465 4173 3292 7465 23'8" https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/cruise-lite-west/T201BHXL/2861

Forest River X-Lite West T201BHXL 465 4173 3292 7465 23'8" https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/x-lite-west/T201BHXL/2871

Forest River Grey Wolf 22MKSE 585 4341 3244 7585 26' 6" https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/grey-wolf/22MKSE/3718

Coachman Apex Ultra-Lite 226BH-DSO 480 4436 2064 6500 25'11" https://coachmenrv.com/travel-trailers/apex-ultra-lite/226BH%20-%20DSO/4345

If you look at the first two there is a difference of 112lbs in the UVW, but a difference of 1,549lbs in the CCC. So the GVWR for the first is 6,000 (within my max TT GVW), but for the second it is 7,661 (which is 1,661lbs over my max TT GVW).

If my actual cargo weight is 1,940 pounds or under then I am under the max TT GVW for both models.

I have calculated the actual available max TT GVW as I put in the original post:
Quote:

If I take the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) of 13,100 pounds and subtract out the curb weight of the Durango (5770lbs), the family weight (610lbs), and the tongue weight (max 720lbs for calculation sake), I end up at 6,000 remaining pounds for the trailer.

With the exception of some snacks, drinks, kindles, and tablets the cargo will go in the trailer.

Thoughts?

* This post was edited 08/05/20 11:49am by Raife *

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/20 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO it is very fair to consider the CCC of a trailer in the equation - I've always pushed back against the generalized GVWR advice for that very reason. With the wide variance of ccc limits on these trailers, you have to be aware of it. A 4k trailer with a GVWR of 6k will be no different than a 4k trailer with a GVWR of 7k. Both start at the same weight and will be loaded the same - to consider one as ok and the other as too much is silly. Furthermore, you could find a 5k trailer with only 1k in ccc, which would also be 'ok' by the GVWR rule, and I wouldn't touch a trailer like that with a 10 foot pole!

That said, there are two things I'd add to your consideration...

First, the one piece I see missing from your calculations is the hitch weight. Your WDH is going to weigh another 100 pounds. If you are down to 720 after your family and gear, your real tongue weight limit is close to 620.

Second, counting on 12% is a bit risky IMHO. While 12% is certainly within the range of acceptable weights, every trailer is a bit different. If your loaded trailer comes in more naturally at 14% when loaded, how are you going to reduce the ratio? Shorter trailers have less opportunity to shift the load behind the axles to accomplish this, so you could find yourself overloaded with a heavier tongue and no way to adjust it.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/20 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mickeyfan0805 wrote:

. A 4k trailer with a GVWR of 6k will be no different than a 4k trailer with a GVWR of 7k. Both start at the same weight and will be loaded the same - to consider one as ok and the other as too much is silly.

don't know why something so obvious is that difficult for some folks to grasp.
bumpy

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/20 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

Mickeyfan0805 wrote:

. A 4k trailer with a GVWR of 6k will be no different than a 4k trailer with a GVWR of 7k. Both start at the same weight and will be loaded the same - to consider one as ok and the other as too much is silly.

don't know why something so obvious is that difficult for some folks to grasp.
bumpy

I agree completely. The only difference is the one with the higher GVWR will have better brakes tires and suspension. And even that sometimes can be questionable.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/20 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a camper that has a CCC of 2200 pounds according to the sticker. In reality, it’s more like 1800 pounds according to scale weights when empty. I am 1000 pounds +/- under gross weight when loaded.
Several members here state that they are at or over gross weight. Others say they will never hit gross weight. I probably won’t, either.
However, I’m in the camp of having a generous cushion in the weight department. I believe it will save extra wear and tear on the camper.
Kinda interesting that some people that gripe about the quality of campers in general have no problem saying it’s OK to go to the max.
Anyhow, it’s all a personal choice in the end.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/20 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

I agree completely. The only difference is the one with the higher GVWR will have better brakes tires and suspension. And even that sometimes can be questionable.

Absolutely - which simply underlines the point. My greatest fear of the 'Go by GVWR' mantra is that someone new to trailering would go out and buy a 5,000 pound trailer with a 6,000 GVWR over a 5,000 pound trailer with a 7,500 pound GVWR based purely on the advice that they should stay under 7,000 pounds GVWR. Both would be equally safe in regard to weight, but the first will quite possibly end up dangerously overloaded on the trailer side while the second will travel with capacity to spare.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Dry vs Gross weight
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.