|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Dry vs Gross weight

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/20 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The trailers I've owned always had a liberal ammount of CCC which is calculated with full fresh water tanks so you actually gain another 500lbs of CCC running empty.....in my case.

That said, trailers are like people, they gain weight over time especially on an Amazon diet.

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/20 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mickeyfan0805 wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

I agree completely. The only difference is the one with the higher GVWR will have better brakes tires and suspension. And even that sometimes can be questionable.

Absolutely - which simply underlines the point. My greatest fear of the 'Go by GVWR' mantra is that someone new to trailering would go out and buy a 5,000 pound trailer with a 6,000 GVWR over a 5,000 pound trailer with a 7,500 pound GVWR based purely on the advice that they should stay under 7,000 pounds GVWR. Both would be equally safe in regard to weight, but the first will quite possibly end up dangerously overloaded on the trailer side while the second will travel with capacity to spare.
I would disagree with that. Both trailers are more then likely to have the same axles under them. The second trailer just assumes you have more tongue weight then the first trailer, hence giving you a higher GVWR. Now if they have different axles under them, then you may have a point. But they only make axles in a few ratings, the difference in axle ratings are in thousands of pounds, not hundreds.

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/20 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wing_zealot wrote:

I would disagree with that. Both trailers are more then likely to have the same axles under them. The second trailer just assumes you have more tongue weight then the first trailer, hence giving you a higher GVWR. Now if they have different axles under them, then you may have a point. But they only make axles in a few ratings, the difference in axle ratings are in thousands of pounds, not hundreds.

Axles, brakes, tires - they all impact ccc. You'd have to analyze the components of each trailer to know where the differences are coming from, but to say that the difference in hitch weight is not accurate.

For just one of what I know would be many examples if explored...

Keystone Passport 2210RBWE GT:
-Length: 26'3"
-Dry: 4,796
-Dry Hitch: 560
-CCC: 2,704

Keystone Bullet 221RBSWE
-Length: 26'8"
-Dry: 4,690
-Dry Hitch: 490
-CCC: 1,720

Two nearly identical trailers, from the same manufacturer, and the GVWR for the first is 7,500 while the GVWR for the latter is 6,410. I assure you that they are not expecting that 1,000 pound difference to be because of hitch weight.

Add in the single axle trailers that roll off the lot with barely enough ccc to fill their tanks, much less carry any gear, and GVWR is clearly not a tell-all rating.

GVWR is one of many considerations, but it truly should not be used as a catch all.

Lwiddis

Camping near Pearsonville, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/20 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Dry vs Gross weight
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.