RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Setting up my solar system

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Setting up my solar system

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
GravelRider

Pennsylvania

Full Member

Joined: 05/13/2020

View Profile



Posted: 08/12/20 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

That's a good price. I paid $200 for 250W a few years ago and todays prices are half.


That's good to hear. That was better than anything I could find, after figuring in shipping especially, other than some used poly panels on Craigslist. They were selling for $105 OBO per 265 watt panel, and he had about 40 of them available. I was seriously considering that, but the dimensions didn't work for my RV roof. These 400 W panels are perfect.

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

Senior Member

Joined: 12/12/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/12/20 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had mixed results using a stud finder, but a neodymium magnet found them easily and reliably. This was a trussed roof with rubber overlayment.


2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver


bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

Senior Member

Joined: 12/12/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/12/20 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GravelRider wrote:


I've got a 96" x 115" area forward of the air conditioner...


Wow, I never would have guessed that. Never seen that much non-penetrated space. Two of those panels will be sweet.

CA Traveler

The Western States

Senior Member

Joined: 01/03/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/12/20 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Panel size didn't line up with the beams and I didn't use the 4' beams initially.

The roof is peaked and the beams are flat on 4' centers. Removing some ceiling items like lights determined one location. I drilled a small hole next to one from inside to determine it's exact center location from the roof. From the roof for other beams I drilled a small hole and used a small wire to confirm. I used 3" screws to secure the al angle.


2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob


GravelRider

Pennsylvania

Full Member

Joined: 05/13/2020

View Profile



Posted: 08/12/20 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bpounds wrote:

I had mixed results using a stud finder, but a neodymium magnet found them easily and reliably. This was a trussed roof with rubber overlayment.


Unfortunately mine is stick framed. As far as I know there are no metal roof beams that I'm aware of. Grey Wolf 22MKSE

GravelRider

Pennsylvania

Full Member

Joined: 05/13/2020

View Profile



Posted: 08/12/20 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bpounds wrote:

GravelRider wrote:


I've got a 96" x 115" area forward of the air conditioner...


Wow, I never would have guessed that. Never seen that much non-penetrated space. Two of those panels will be sweet.


I was actually surprised too when I went up to measure, as it's not a large trailer. Though it's also pretty basic, so not too much stuff up there to take up space. However, in that 96x115" space, there is the stock 50 watt solar panel that I will have to remove. I'm planning to just remove the panel from the mounts and leave the mounts in place. Or maybe it would be better to remove them as well and use generous amounts of lap sealant and/or eternabond tape?

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

Senior Member

Joined: 12/12/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/12/20 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GravelRider wrote:

bpounds wrote:

I had mixed results using a stud finder, but a neodymium magnet found them easily and reliably. This was a trussed roof with rubber overlayment.


Unfortunately mine is stick framed. As far as I know there are no metal roof beams that I'm aware of. Grey Wolf 22MKSE


Mine is wood frame roof too. Truss refers to wood construction. The magnet finds the staples or screws that secure the sheathing to the trusses (rafters if you prefer).

GravelRider

Pennsylvania

Full Member

Joined: 05/13/2020

View Profile



Posted: 08/12/20 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bpounds wrote:

GravelRider wrote:

bpounds wrote:

I had mixed results using a stud finder, but a neodymium magnet found them easily and reliably. This was a trussed roof with rubber overlayment.


Unfortunately mine is stick framed. As far as I know there are no metal roof beams that I'm aware of. Grey Wolf 22MKSE


Mine is wood frame roof too. Truss refers to wood construction. The magnet finds the staples or screws that secure the sheathing to the trusses (rafters if you prefer).


Ah, I see. Good idea on the magnets. I'll definitely use that if my stud finder isn't much help.

GravelRider

Pennsylvania

Full Member

Joined: 05/13/2020

View Profile



Posted: 08/12/20 03:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

Panel size didn't line up with the beams and I didn't use the 4' beams initially.

The roof is peaked and the beams are flat on 4' centers. Removing some ceiling items like lights determined one location. I drilled a small hole next to one from inside to determine it's exact center location from the roof. From the roof for other beams I drilled a small hole and used a small wire to confirm. I used 3" screws to secure the al angle.


Good to know. I'm hoping my install goes a bit easier. This is making me consider those glue-down no-drill mounts... But I don't know that I'd ever be comfortable driving down the road with glue-on mounts...

CA Traveler

The Western States

Senior Member

Joined: 01/03/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/12/20 05:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If those mounts are Z mounts pitch them. Instead use 2x al angle connected with a bolt like a Z and the panels are much easier to remove when needed.

A number of posters have used only 3M VHB tape to secure panels. I used VHB tape, screws and sealed with Dicor.

* This post was edited 08/12/20 05:33pm by CA Traveler *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Setting up my solar system
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.