|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Setting up my solar system

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev
Sponsored By:
GravelRider

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/20 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

You'll have a nice setup.

Thanks. I'll post updates as I get things mounted.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/20 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't agree with the link. A shorted panel in 3 or more parallel panels can be back biased by the other panels, overheat and catch fire. That is the main concern. For 15A panels I'd use a 20A fuse which would also protect the wiring.

Panels are designed to work with Isc which is the only mode for PWM CCs. Therefore a serial shorted panel will not cause a problem. There actually was a discussion about apparent lower voltage by a RVer with serial panels. I suggested he had a shorted panel and he did and repaced the panel.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

GravelRider

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/20 09:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got started on the installation. I got both panels installed, but only got Dicor on one before I lost light for the day. And ran out of light for pictures of both installed too.

[image]

I also got started on fishing the wires... Easily the worst part of any electrical job!

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/20 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks great. I'm a bit jealous of how much space you've got to work with. But I do like having my roof vents too.

I used the same Renogy Zee clips. They seemed fine to me, but the one downside I saw was that it is pretty much impossible to remove a panel from the clips. Can't get to the bolts. Or, you have to pull them up from the roof and tear through the Dicor. If I do have to remove a panel, I won't do either of those. I will just saw through the clips, leaving the lower 'L' portion at the roof, and improvise a different upper portion. Assuming the new panel was the exact same width. It's enough of a long shot idea that I didn't put too much worry on it.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

GravelRider

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/20 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bpounds wrote:

Looks great. I'm a bit jealous of how much space you've got to work with. But I do like having my roof vents too.

I used the same Renogy Zee clips. They seemed fine to me, but the one downside I saw was that it is pretty much impossible to remove a panel from the clips. Can't get to the bolts. Or, you have to pull them up from the roof and tear through the Dicor. If I do have to remove a panel, I won't do either of those. I will just saw through the clips, leaving the lower 'L' portion at the roof, and improvise a different upper portion. Assuming the new panel was the exact same width. It's enough of a long shot idea that I didn't put too much worry on it.

I do definitely wish I had an extra roof vent up front... But at least I've got the extra space for panels!

These weren't Renogy brackets; they were some offbrand off of Amazon. But I'm sure it's all the same, just branded differently. I drilled the holes in the panel in such a way that the bolt heads are against the side of the aluminum frame, so that you only need one wrench to remove the bolt and reattach it. I'm quite certain it will still be a giant pain in the ass, but it will be doable without having to remove the bracket from the roof itself.

GravelRider

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got more work done last night on my solar project. Dicor is now on both panels at the mounts.

[image]

and I wired the panels to the controller.

[image]

I still need to weld up some battery mounts for the additional two 6 V GC2 batteries, run them in series-parallel with the other two, then run wires from the controller to the battery bank. I also have to run wires and mount the MT50 remote, the grounding cable, and the temperature sensor, and I'll be done.

GravelRider

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/20 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got the rest of the wiring done and the MT50 remote sensor mounted and wired.

[image]

[image]

So far so good. I towed my trailer to work so I can keep an eye on how it is producing, as I didn't want to leave it on and unattended after getting it first set up. At 7 am this morning, and it's a very cloudy dark morning, the panels were putting out 2 amps at 35ish volts.

I also need to weld up some battery mounts and get the other two GC2 batteries mounted in series-parallel. I should be able to get to this over the weekend, but I wanted to test out the solar setup first.

* This post was edited 08/19/20 07:01am by GravelRider *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Setting up my solar system
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.