|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Solar research

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
tommyznr

NR, WI

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/21 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Watching some Will Prouse videos is a great start as well as visiting his forum DIY Solar Forumhttps://diysolarforum.com/.

Every additional feature that you want/need adds significant sophistication but there is a lot of help out there. If you are up to the challenge, the following may be helpful:

Start with an energy audit, a spreadsheet can be found on the DIY forum. This will help clarify what you need to do.

As stated previously a combination inverter/charger/transfer switch will do what you want it to do. But you might not need this depending how you want to source your energy. Search Victron, GoPower, Cotek and the previously suggested Samlex for these (plus many others). If you have a 50A RV your options will be more limited if you want to utilize all of your 120VAC circuits vs a 30A version. The 2000/3000W and up versions tend to have more features. Victron has a lot of training available on their site.

You can also have separate inverter, charger and transfer switch. I priced this out for my application and found that the separate units that I would need would be about $100 less than a combination unit, not including wiring/fusing/etc. This is mainly because I have a 50A RV and I don’t want to rewire my power panel.

For batteries find and watch a video comparing the lifecycle cost comparison between various types and lithium. For some situations lithium is cheaper and you do not need to pay close attention to DOD of the batteries.

You might also be able to utilize the all in one unit if desirable.

Tom

2017 GMC Sierra SLT, Max Tow package
2018 Grand Design Reflection 295RL

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/21 08:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry, question does not make any sense.

Solar is for charging your batteries. Solar is not a 3rd power source to be confused with shoreline and generator, which are AC not Dc.

All that solar does is bring more DC power to the battery. Everything powered by your battery is already set up, you do not need to make any alterations.

Now, if you meant to ask about having an auto switch to choose between 1 of 3: shoreline, generator and inverter then that makes more sense.
What is your priority? Shoreline > generator > inverter?

Set a switch to choose between generator and inverter and to favor the generator so when the generator is on the switch switches to generator power. Then another switch that choses between that first switch's choice and shoreline power.
So your "AC power" will choose from shoreline or those other two (gen or inv), which will chose between the gen or inv.

My "auto" switch is a circuit breaker that turns one circuit on and turns the other circuit off at the same time, so only one can be on at a time (shoreline and generator). Then behind that is another selector that (inverter) does not have a route to the Air Cond, battery charger or to the Fridge plugs, so there is no way you try to power up those with battery.

Is this your question?

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/21 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can see a way it could be done, but you would need an auto start generator and instead of having it hooked to the camper battery supply you have a battery bank in the shed that it is hooked to. so normaly your battery bank in the shed would feed your inverter and power your camper, but if that battery bank drops below a spicific voltage the genny will start and kick the auto transfer and it will power the inverter.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

tommyznr

NR, WI

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/21 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ajriding wrote:

Sorry, question does not make any sense.

Solar is for charging your batteries. Solar is not a 3rd power source to be confused with shoreline and generator, which are AC not Dc.

All that solar does is bring more DC power to the battery. Everything powered by your battery is already set up, you do not need to make any alterations.

Now, if you meant to ask about having an auto switch to choose between 1 of 3: shoreline, generator and inverter then that makes more sense.
What is your priority? Shoreline > generator > inverter?

Set a switch to choose between generator and inverter and to favor the generator so when the generator is on the switch switches to generator power. Then another switch that choses between that first switch's choice and shoreline power.
So your "AC power" will choose from shoreline or those other two (gen or inv), which will chose between the gen or inv.

My "auto" switch is a circuit breaker that turns one circuit on and turns the other circuit off at the same time, so only one can be on at a time (shoreline and generator). Then behind that is another selector that (inverter) does not have a route to the Air Cond, battery charger or to the Fridge plugs, so there is no way you try to power up those with battery.

Is this your question?

As I understand it he wants to create a shoreline power source using solar/batteries/inverter/transfer switch/generator without any modifications to the RV.

This is very doable with the correct equipment and many have done so.

SimonB

Northern ontario

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/21 06:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tommyznr wrote:

As I understand it he wants to create a shoreline power source using solar/batteries/inverter/transfer switch/generator without any modifications to the RV.

This is correct. I found that the Kisae IC122055 has the built in transfer switch option that I was looking for.

tommyznr

NR, WI

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/21 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SimonB wrote:

tommyznr wrote:

This is correct. I found that the Kisae IC122055 has the built in transfer switch option that I was looking for.

That is great to hear. Your question caused me to rethink a land opportunity I have in remote northern Wisconsin where it would cost an arm and a leg to bring utility power to the site. I could have my own camping spot on a fairly large chunk of land with solar/generator power
based in a shed.

imnrvr

Lethbridge, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/21 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SimonB wrote:

tommyznr wrote:

I gather you don't plan on using the trailer's built in 120V AC outlets.

Instead of using a shed, I hauled around six solar panels (960W) on the roof of my fifth wheel and used the following equipment with it:

Magnum Dimensions 3000W Hybrid Pure Sine Inverter/Charger (MSH3012RV) which replaced the charger that came with the trailer. The inverter is wired directly to the trailer's 120V breaker box.

Midnite Classic 80A Solar Controller

4 - 232Ah, 6V Golf Batteries

EasyStart on the air conditioner so I could at least circulate the air using the fan of the AC.

Always had a hot coffee with the Kuerig and cooked using an induction hot plate. At night we played movies with a LED video projector onto a 100" screen hung from the wall. Such glamping!

Cheers!

Glad you found your solution Simon!

2013 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cummins
2012 Evergreen Everlite 30RLS

SimonB

Northern ontario

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/21 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

imnrvr wrote:

SimonB wrote:

tommyznr wrote:

I gather you don't plan on using the trailer's built in 120V AC outlets.

Instead of using a shed, I hauled around six solar panels (960W) on the roof of my fifth wheel and used the following equipment with it:

Magnum Dimensions 3000W Hybrid Pure Sine Inverter/Charger (MSH3012RV) which replaced the charger that came with the trailer. The inverter is wired directly to the trailer's 120V breaker box.

Midnite Classic 80A Solar Controller

4 - 232Ah, 6V Golf Batteries

EasyStart on the air conditioner so I could at least circulate the air using the fan of the AC.

Always had a hot coffee with the Kuerig and cooked using an induction hot plate. At night we played movies with a LED video projector onto a 100" screen hung from the wall. Such glamping!

Cheers!

Glad you found your solution Simon!

Yes I will be using both 12v and built in 120v. I am just in the process of purchasing my system now as I didn't have nothing built until last weekend.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Solar research
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.